3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: quivers for hunting  (Read 2893 times)

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: quivers for hunting
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2016, 09:50:00 AM »
I have a Thunderhorn on my longbow, and my Hoyt has a Hoyt bolt-on quiver. Problem with the Hoyt quiver, even though it said "traditional" on the package, it really is the same one that goes on all their bows, and the hood is small with small broadheads in mind. A Zwickey or Woodsman for example, would stick out the bottom pretty good.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »
Like most everyone I have tried a vast assortment of quivers.  It really depends on what I am doing to which quiver I use.  For "ambush" type hunting I have found my Kanati strap on bow quiver to be perfect.  It carries three broadheads, and a judo point, goes on and off silently and quickly and is stable when shooting on the bow.  If I am stalking, I either go with my sunset hill back quiver or an old arrow master quiver.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »
I can't have anything on my back or side when hunting-- I've always got my lonewolf stand on my back.  I use a great northern strap on quiver and once in the tree I strap it to the stand-- on the bow it gets in the way of my bow holder and I don't like how it feels when resting the bow on my lap.  It doesn't bother me one bit to shoot w it on the bow.  Great quiver for my style of hunting.

Offline yeager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2016, 10:41:00 AM »
I have two Great Northern quivers. For my one piece bows, I use the strap-on. And for my takedowns, I have the one take uses the limb-bolt brackets.  When on stand, I take them off.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc lifetime member
P&Y Club, Official Measurer

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2016, 11:09:00 AM »
When I used a bow quiver, many moons ago, I tried a lot of them, but always came back to the Great Northern. It may not be the best looking quiver out there, but you cannot beat it for fit and functionality!

Bisch

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2016, 11:24:00 AM »
I've gotten pretty set on the EFA bow quivers. They are light and really don't add much weight to the bow.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2016, 11:27:00 AM »
I hunt exclusively from stationary stands, either ground blinds or ladder stands. Therefore, I prefer a back quiver, because it lets me carry plenty of arrows, and a bit of other stuff as well. On the ground, I lay it next to me with an extra arrow lying propped on it for quick follow up. In the ladder stand, I hang it on the right rear side of the ladder so I can easily get another arrow if I need it. My longbow just feels out of balance with a quiver attached to it.
Sam

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2016, 11:38:00 AM »
Started with a homemade backquiver.  I found it easier to just hang it from my belt as a side quiver.  But since I mostly still hunt in remote areas, I've also got a backpack or satchel of food, water, gear, etc. for the day.  A detached quiver is just one more thing to mess with and maneuver in the woods.

I didn't have much time to shop so I went with a Kwikee Kwiver to bolt on my Samick.  That worked & got me by for turkey season last year.  But it's heavy, sticks far out to the side & my broadheads aren't fully contained.  So I got an Eagle's Flight strap-on & have settled on that.  I carry only 4 arrows: 2 broadheads, 1 blunt & one field point backed with an adder.  Spare broadhead in my pack.  Figure if I need more than that, I need to pick my shots more carefully.  Shots at animals are few and far between anyway.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Mark Colangelo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2016, 11:45:00 AM »
thanks guys!
Mark C.

Javaman Elkheart, Bear Super Kodiak
BHA NWTF DU RMEF TRCP
Oregon State BS Fisheries & Wildlife
Society for Conservation Biology  
TSgt, USAF Active Duty

Offline Pops

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2016, 12:04:00 PM »
I use a catquiver 3&1/2. Put all my junk in it
and I'm good for the day.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2016, 02:08:00 PM »
Any quiver is a compromise.  For me, a bow quiver has proven to be the best choice.  I've been using Great Northern strap ons for at least 25 years.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »
Bear spring arm quivers for me. Some double arm, some single. Some 4 arrow, some 8. I remove my quiver when on stand, so these work perfectly.

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2016, 10:23:00 PM »
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2016, 11:02:00 PM »
Great northern bolt on is my favorite for deer hunting from a tree. Arrowmaster for small game or stumping.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2016, 08:15:00 AM »
I am in the process of making a small quiver that is basically a Palmer Bowmate tube style. I am going for a 3" tube camo-ed with closed ends,and a lower side opening like my Palmer. But I am going to utilize small black bungee cords to attach it to the tree with once I'm in it. I don't like bow quivers. Had damage from them,and got busted once from a buck spotting my fletchings move as I moved into position to draw.

But mostly..I have had them feel like they are torque-ing the bow from the extra weight. I just don't care for them.  rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2016, 08:21:00 AM »
Great Northern Strap on for me as well. I've tried a belt and a back quiver but they just get in the way for me.
SWA Spyder

Offline deerfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2016, 09:45:00 AM »
river, I made a tube quiver like you describe about 10yrs ago. Has worked really well, been to Alaska twice, great in rain or snow for keeping fletching dry. Its a 36" 3" dia plasitc display/mailing tube wrapped in camo fabric with leather cap & collar and plastic end cap that I can pop off and on when dropping arrows through the top or dumping them out. There is also craft fur glued to the inside for more sound deadening and a clip on compass on the bottom collar. Holds about 8 arrows if stuffed, but I generally only carry 4-5, either a combination of 2-3 bh's and 1 or 2 judo's because its easier to select a particular type arrow when its not fully loaded. If all the arrows are the same then it doesn't matter how many are crammed in there. Its a great option when still hunting or when toting a tree stand on my back with excellent arrow protection. Been very happy with it.

[/url] [/IMG]

Online Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2016, 11:15:00 AM »
I have been using a EFA quiver for the last 4 years with no issues.
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2016, 12:15:00 PM »
I think I have 4 different bow quivers, an arrow Master, two or three styles of side quivers, two classic back quivers and two or three of the middle of the back Cat quiver style quivers.  Oh, and a handful of simple single arrow stalker quivers.  None of them are perfect for every application.  I use about half of them every year for different applications.
ChuckC

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2016, 10:17:00 PM »
Side quiver for target and small game.  I have bow quivers, back quivers, Cat quiver and hip quivers, but like my own version of a side quiver.  I embedded an aluminum strip in the top of mine so I can just drop arrows in the quiver without twisting of shoving against the fletching.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©