3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: quivers for hunting  (Read 2894 times)

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: quivers for hunting
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2016, 05:43:00 AM »
deerfly that turned out nice. I just want one like that to hold 3 arrows maximum and bungee it to my tree so I can access the opening easily.  rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2016, 07:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sawpilot 75:
I used a selway for many years but switched to a Great Northern strap on. I like the hood better and how it captures a wood arrow. I think it has less vibration as well and increased weight and better balance. All things I look for in a quiver.
don't forget if you shoot ALL your arrows the GN is still one piece and strapped securely against bow,, selway style once you shoot your last arrow now its two separate sections flopping around on the limbs and fade outs.  

Another reason is GN style keeps the fletching's close together, where the selway style they are fanned away from each other and if your sitting on ground or just not paying attention when you go to lift the bow to draw the fletching can scrape against your leg and alert the deer especially if its new fletching,,, I used thunderhorns till this happened to me.
"Us vs Them"

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2016, 08:03:00 AM »
I don't like a quiver mounted to a bow.  I made a simple bamboo quiver for my stone tipped arrows.  

AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline monk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2016, 08:28:00 AM »
1. When dry bow quiver 2. When wet tube style, fletching covered, EFA side style quiver.

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2016, 10:18:00 AM »
Lot's of opinions posted here so far as expected.  Essentially, a quiver needs to meet your hunting style and fit into your methods.  I personally prefer a bow-mounted quiver.  I like the weight, and I feel as though I have easier access to the arrows.  I do on occasion use a Cat Quiver and it's fine too.  

I seem to be liking the Great Northern with the kickback option, and the EFA's the best these days.  As I mentioned before, I've tried them all I think.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2016, 10:25:00 AM »
in my opinion you cant beat the strap on and limb bolt quivers from thunderhor. only down side isthey are heavier with arrows, but thats one of thereasons i like them so much. i like a heavy bow and the strap ons quiet it down big time

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2016, 12:46:00 PM »
I made one very similar as deerfly, I go through alot of thick stuff. Its light and easy to get an arrow out without much movement. The top cap keeps every thing dry and damage free.

Offline Gunnison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2016, 03:19:00 PM »
I found an old PSE bow quiver that holds 8 arrows and turned into a sling quiver. works very well for me.   :thumbsup:

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2016, 12:29:00 AM »
I found bow quivers to be weight where it wasn't needed.  It is very rare that I would be hunting without a day pack at least so that eliminates those cool looking back quivers.

Ended up making my own over the shoulder side quiver with an arrow at the ready in a single arrow stalker.  So far this has been the best system for my needs.

Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline La flecha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2016, 06:34:00 AM »
MOnterey - looks great!  I need to make a similar one.  Could I ask about your single arrow setup?  I get the BH end of things but how does the other end work?

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2016, 04:33:00 PM »
Here is a close look at the sheaths.  I make them to fit specific broadheads.  These are suitable for just about any 100 to 145 two blade heads.  I've also made them to fit three blades.  I tie them on with leather stitching thread or bow string thread.  Sometimes artificial sinew.  After they are tied the thread ends are melted to keep the knot.

The shaft retainer I originally made out of three or four layers of leather laminated with contact cement in a clamp.  Like this.

Now I make them out of the piggy backers that you can get at three Rivers.  Just cut it and drill a hole to mount it like the one above.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2016, 06:10:00 PM »
I always have a Great Northern strapped on the bow. And like a rear pocket quiver for 3D shoots, leaving the arrows in the bow quiver.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2016, 05:21:00 PM »
I like a modified plains style quiver.

"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline La flecha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2016, 05:56:00 PM »
Thanks for the additional pics Monterey... lookin' good.
I just started using a EFA 3 and so far I love it.  I can hardly tell it's there.  But I'd like to have a quick-draw option for one arrow.  Right now I'm carrying one bare, parallel to bow, and of course that's prolly not the best idea :-o  Will have to make a BH cover and see how it rides.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »
We make a 2 blade and recently a 3 blade single arrow stalker bow quiver. It's a bad feeling to have a great shot but no arrow. Ours is made of heavyweight leather, slightly oversize (for safe ty) and uses our reliable Totem Grip system.
This 3 blade quiver is not yet on our website, but the 2 blade is.

Offline OregonTom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2016, 05:57:00 PM »
The over the shoulder side quiver Monterey has in the photo above works very well.  I made a bunch of really nice back quivers but the quiver that goes out on adventures is the over shoulder side quiver.  The over shoulder quiver takes a lot less leather to make also.  Heck you could just make one from pvc pipe,  duct  tape and a stick.

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2016, 09:31:00 PM »
I've tried just about every kind of quiver out there. The only one I like is the back quiver.  I like the ones with the wider 2 inch straps. I've learned to just reposition the quiver depending on the vegetation I travel through or when I carry my treestands.  I also use a smaller 4 inch quiver.  I wish that someone would make a nice back quiver in Cordura nylon one day.  For carrying broad heads, I just put in 2 inch foam cut to the shape of the bottom.  I put in a divider strip of leather to divide the quiver opening with 1/3 for judos and 2/3 for broad heads. With the smaller diameter quivers I use, I only carry 2 judos and 3 broadheads.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2016, 01:45:00 AM »
Always loved and used bow quivers, I really like Selway quivers.
Put a nice set of arrows in them and I think they look very nice also

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2016, 02:31:00 AM »
Back quivers only way to go
   :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2016, 06:57:00 AM »
I use a back quiver or hip quiver for 3-d or practice shooting. But for hunting, it's a Thunderhorn or EFA strap on quiver.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©