3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Moccasins?  (Read 3040 times)

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Moccasins?
« on: December 20, 2016, 12:33:00 PM »
Many years ago, I trained myself to run barefoot and in those odd-looking toe-shoes (vibram five fingers).  To date, I have found nothing else that is as comfortable for running and hiking.  I ran a trail 50k in them back in 2011 and hiked 50 miles over 2.5 days with a pack last summer.  Hands-down, I'm a fan.  They're goofy as ever but they work for me.

I also hunt in them during the August archery season and love how quiet they are for stalking.  But they're pretty cold for spring turkey and the October rifle season -- especially when in wet weather or when there are multiple stream crossings.  I also hunt near the coast where scorpions and rattlers lie in your path without moving.  That thin nylon construction is great for running but isn't much protection against punctures.

So I'm looking for a rather minimalist moccasin-type shoe for hunting.  A high-top boot is good for keeping debris out but the closest thing I've found is one by Tactical Research.  The soles are still fairly thick since they're made to mil-specs.  I'm looking for a thin, flat lug-sole, leather, high-top boot.  It does not need to be insulated -- a wool sock is plenty out here.  Any ideas?
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Moccasins?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 12:45:00 PM »
As far as moccasins go, take a look at "Sodhoppers" out of Oregon. He offers a very soft, flexible, rubberized option for the soles.
They're kind of pricey, but excellent quality, and custom crafted.

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 02:09:00 PM »
Footskins in Spring Grove, MN offers a pretty wide variety of hand made mocs with different sole configurations.  Not sure if you'll find what trips your trigger, but they are worth a look.

http://www.footwearbyfootskins.com/

I have a pair of the knee high model and they are excellent.  Mine just have a flat leather sole.  Amazing how quiet one can be in the woods when you feel everything under your foot!
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 02:11:00 PM »
arrowmocs bush boot

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 04:40:00 PM »
My impression is you already get this, but I'll re-enforce it just in case: if you want a functional moc, be absolutely sure there's some sort of sole to provide traction/friction on damp or wet... anything!

Or it's a quick and frustrating lesson in landing quickly on your... hindquarters. Sometimes with more consequence than just embarrassment.

Ask me how I know if you feel the need. Been there done it more 'n once.

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 07:02:00 PM »

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 07:22:00 PM »
Get something like that glued to the bottom of your leather sole.
 http://www.algeos.com/acatalog/stick_on_sole_sheeting.html
Needs to be glued on using professional glue made for that purpose. Works great on my arrow mocs. Have those for over 15 years (2 sole seam repairs). A friend in Germany who is an orthopaedic shoe maker did mine.

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 07:36:00 PM »
You will want the double leather soles, especially if you hunt in the mountains and in rocky terrain/desert (cactus needles). The double sole and 1/4" leather will also protect you very well from potential snake bites. After a short break in period they will be buttery soft and conform exactly to your feet.

Everything without the potential to stop a snake bite in the wild at the most likely location is imho city slicker stupid.
Not worth the potential medical bills and bodily damage of a pacific rattle snake bite at all.
Don't know how bad the scorpions are, but these California snakes carry a bad mix of nerve and tissue destroying poison. They are often small and the smaller snakes are often the most aggressive.

Offline r.spencer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 10:25:00 PM »
Check out carl dyer moccasins. Used these for years when shooting black powder. Line with wool socks for warmth
If you are going to be a bear , be a grizzly

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 07:50:00 AM »
Not exactly moccasins, but the LL Bean boots are great for stalking, time tested, and reasonably priced.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online ChiefStingingArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 08:18:00 AM »
I made my own moccasins by putting on a pair of socks and then had my wife spray rubber coating( that you can get in a spray can) on it. After it was dried I put on some shoe goo on the bottom and stepped in some sand to give it some traction.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 10:17:00 AM »
I second the Russell.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 01:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by slowbowjoe:
My impression is you already get this, but I'll re-enforce it just in case: if you want a functional moc, be absolutely sure there's some sort of sole to provide traction/friction on damp or wet... anything!

Or it's a quick and frustrating lesson in landing quickly on your... hindquarters. Sometimes with more consequence than just embarrassment.

Ask me how I know if you feel the need. Been there done it more 'n once.
Yep.  I'm well aware of that feature of leather as well.  Appreciate the warning just the same.
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 01:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChiefStingingArrow:
I made my own moccasins by putting on a pair of socks and then had my wife spray rubber coating( that you can get in a spray can) on it. After it was dried I put on some shoe goo on the bottom and stepped in some sand to give it some traction.
Sounds fine for light duty.  But I'm thinking I could thrash those before I even got myself to camp.  How far have you gotten in those?

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 01:49:00 PM »
I guess these things don't come cheap.  Looks like $3-500 is par for the course.  I suppose it's like a good custom bow in that it is pricey.  Anything cheap sacrifices quality or fit.  Good stuff -- thanks & keep them coming if you know of others.

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 02:00:00 PM »
I have Carl Dyers and really like them except for the slick bottom discussed above. I am going to try adding tree gum rubber to the bottom a-la the old derelict Dr. Ashby.

I also got myself a pair of LL Beans for Christmas as Centaur talks about above if he can sneak up on turkeys like he does they got to be good.

After posting I went to the sodhoppers site mentioned above and they have a product that would be easier to apply then the tree gum rubber above I may just give it a try. Goop is what it is called, and can be applied to the bottom of any moccasin.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 02:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by tecum-tha:
You will want the double leather soles, especially if you hunt in the mountains and in rocky terrain/desert (cactus needles).
Everything without the potential to stop a snake bite in the wild at the most likely location is imho city slicker stupid.
I'll have to check out the double soles.  My main shoe has 8 mm combined thickenss (outsole and insole).  When I hit something sharp, it keeps me from bleeding but not from swearing.  I'd say that's about perfect.

I feel that it is exactly my city slicker-ness that has me thinking about thicker boots.  After all, Ishi was barefoot  year-round in the woods as well as in Berkeley.  If I had his woodsmanship, I wouldn't need all this darned gear.

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 08:25:00 AM »
We always called them "Bean Boots", too. DON'T BUY THEM!! That's what they sell to yuppies walking on pavement, made with harder rubber and cheaper leather. Hunters want the L.L.Bean Maine Hunting Shoe.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 11:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by Owlgrowler:
We always called them "Bean Boots", too. DON'T BUY THEM!! That's what they sell to yuppies walking on pavement, made with harder rubber and cheaper leather. Hunters want the L.L.Bean Maine Hunting Shoe.
The concept seems about right.  But that fat heel on the back is a bit much for me.  I'd fall over on the sidewalk, let alone in the woods.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2016, 11:46:00 AM »
I may have to make my own.  What I'm looking for is far more simple than most of what is sold commercially.  Has anybody made a set of moccasins for deep woods hunting?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©