3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Moccasins?  (Read 3039 times)

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Moccasins?
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2016, 01:25:00 PM »
The arrowmocs bush boot is imho the best and most economical moccasin around.
 http://www.arrowmoc.com/7.html
It also wears like iron. You will have a hard time getting this quality of leather to start with. Yes, moccasins can be made far cheaper, but not as durable.
If you really want to make your own, then get this:
 https://www.amazon.com/Craft-Manual-American-Indian-Footwear/dp/1884693008

It has very good instructions, but remember that most moccasins are soft sole models and are intended to be made from deerskin or elk skin. They will wear out really fast and you may need to combine several design until you find what you like. But this will take a good amount of work.

For example, an Assiniboine hard soled moccasin combined with an apache style boot is probably the best of both worlds, but will require a good amount of work to realize and finally fit you perfect. Then just glue the rubber sole to the bottom for non slip.

What is deep woods hunting?

By the way, the native American got bit by snakes a good bunch of times,too and most serious bites were probably deadly. But in a more primitive time, death was a far more common reality in daily life than in modern times. There was a reason to have 6-10 kids, because only 2-4 probably made it into adulthood to be able to care for you when you were old.

Even though, only 10 or so people die of snake bites each year, there are many more snake bites from poisonous snakes each year. When you see the photos of some of those on the web and you realize how nasty high the medical bills are, it is dirt cheap to get protection.
Also, some people still have some problems years after a healed bite. And especially in California:
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crotalus_scutulatus

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2016, 01:36:00 PM »
Check out some Converse hi top Chuck Taylor Allstars in black or use sharpies to make them look like you want, they've been around forever, obviously not for real cold weather.

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2016, 01:38:00 PM »
If your worried about snakes use some gaiters.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2016, 01:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by tecum-tha:
The arrowmocs bush boot is imho the best and most economical moccasin around.
  http://www.arrowmoc.com/7.html  
It also wears like iron. You will have a hard time getting this quality of leather to start with. Yes, moccasins can be made far cheaper, but not as durable.
If you really want to make your own, then get this:
  https://www.amazon.com/Craft-Manual-American-Indian-Footwear/dp/1884693008  

It has very good instructions, but remember that most moccasins are soft sole models and are intended to be made from deerskin or elk skin. They will wear out really fast and you may need to combine several design until you find what you like. But this will take a good amount of work.

For example, an Assiniboine hard soled moccasin combined with an apache style boot is probably the best of both worlds, but will require a good amount of work to realize and finally fit you perfect. Then just glue the rubber sole to the bottom for non slip.

What is deep woods hunting?

By the way, the native American got bit by snakes a good bunch of times,too and most serious bites were probably deadly. But in a more primitive time, death was a far more common reality in daily life than in modern times. There was a reason to have 6-10 kids, because only 2-4 probably made it into adulthood to be able to care for you when you were old.

Even though, only 10 or so people die of snake bites each year, there are many more snake bites from poisonous snakes each year. When you see the photos of some of those on the web and you realize how nasty high the medical bills are, it is dirt cheap to get protection.
Also, some people still have some problems years after a healed bite. And especially in California:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crotalus_scutulatus  
Thank you!  I'll check these out, for sure.

As for "deep woods hunting," I'm mostly thinking about how most of the moccasins are more like house slippers in that they are usually low-top in design and with leather soles -- more fashion than function or with the expectation of low function.  When I see flaps at the instep, I think about sticks getting caught & stabbing my feet.  When I see low, loose tops, I think sand, mud and rocks in my shoes.  And when I see leather soles, I think about boggy meadows and wet feet on a cold morning.  And when I see thick, inflexible soles, I think about heavy footfalls and crunching forest floor debris.

I'll check out that book, for sure.  I don't need something to last the rest of my lifetime.  If it lasts a season or two and is reasonably-priced for materials, I'm happy.  I also have a hard time forking over much at all for something sight-unseen -- shoes most of all.  Some people can strap on something reasonably well fit and be fine.  I've always struggled with footwear so I'm skeptical of everything until I've tried it out for a while.  There's nothing like blistered feet to ruin a multi-day trip in the back country.  I had seen the Apache-style boots with the slightly thicker toes and soles.  The idea sounds about right.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline RGKulas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2016, 04:18:00 PM »
double post.

Offline RGKulas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2016, 04:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by RGKulas:
Ive made several pairs from elk or bison tanned leather but the neck/back on large deer hides works well to. Very easy to make. You can sew them and turn inside out so you dont see the stitching or you can stitch from the outside and leave the stitching shown. These are a simple folded version. I used to sew them by hand but now I use a machine as its much faster.

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2016, 06:21:00 PM »
I like the Merrell Jungle Moc's.  The soles may be thicker than you like but they do come in several sole types.

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2016, 07:29:00 PM »
A pair of Carl Dyers and a set of Turtle Skin gaiters
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2016, 05:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by YosemiteSam:

Originally posted by Owlgrowler:
We always called them "Bean Boots", too. DON'T BUY THEM!! That's what they sell to yuppies walking on pavement, made with harder rubber and cheaper leather. Hunters want the L.L.Bean Maine Hunting Shoe.
The concept seems about right.  But that fat heel on the back is a bit much for me.  I'd fall over on the sidewalk, let alone in the woods. [/b]
I disagree. I've worn nothing on a daily basis but "barefoot shoes" for 8 years.   The Bean Maine Hunting Shoe is awesome.  The only problem is that it doesn't handle slopes well.
homebru

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2017, 10:14:00 PM »
If something only lasts a season it is usually a piece of garbage and will fail at the worst moment possible.
Even though the arrowmocs are not period correct, they are the best blend of western and native American shoemaking technology.
If you have special feet you can also send in a foot tracing.
In order to craft something remotely as good as an arrowmoc bushboot, I think you will run through as much leather equaling the cost of a bushboot.
Then, if you wear everything else then a full enclosed and heavily treated leatherboot or full leather with Goretex liner hiking boot, you will always get wet feet walking through very wet grass. A requirement no primitive footwear is able to fulfill.
In the black powder community the arrowmocs are cheaper and much more durable than Dyers or other suppliers. RUSSEL is a blend of moccasins with real boots but also very pricey.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2017, 08:33:00 AM »
Poppens moccasins are my preference. They are extremely light weight and are solidly constructed. They have no web site, but I will see them next week at rendezvous. I will post info about contacting them when I get back. These are very good footwear.
Sam

Offline RGKulas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2017, 09:09:00 AM »

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2017, 04:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by RGKulas:
This might be your answer

http://www.skinners.cc/  

http://gearnova.com/skinner-athletic-sock-sneakers/  
Those look fine for running.  But I already have something to fit that activity.

Started construction on my new mocs last week.  Bought some sole material and half a shoulder of leather.  I'll either make something good or waste some money figuring out that I'd be better off risking a wildcard from an online vendor.
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2017, 06:12:00 PM »
We will look forward to see your end result.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2017, 05:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by tecum-tha:
We will look forward to see your end result.
If I can ever figure out how to post photos on here.  Do I need to create an account at a third party site?

Offline Jon Kaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2017, 12:37:00 PM »
Yes, you need an account on a third party site.  I use Imgur.  I'd like to see what you end up making.
Never quit doing good.
}}}---------->
Bama Bows Hunter 64" 60@28
HHA Half Breed 64" 55@29
JD Berry Morning Star 66" 53@28

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2017, 01:34:00 PM »

I love mocs, and have since I was a kid.  That being said I'd never dream of hunting in them.  I value my neck too much for that.

I enjoy making them, and the best leather for that is moose hide.  I made these awhile back.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2017, 05:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by BAK:

I love mocs, and have since I was a kid.  That being said I'd never dream of hunting in them.  I value my neck too much for that.

I enjoy making them, and the best leather for that is moose hide.  I made these awhile back.
Nicely done.  That will probably be nicer than what I do.  I understand your hesitation.  It took me 6 months of training to transition from traditional running shoes to minimalist shoes.  I thought I'd never be able to run anything longer than 13 miles when I did regular shoes but have done so many 20+ milers now that I've lost count.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2017, 08:05:00 PM »
This is probably not going to be what you want, but take a look at Clark Desert Boots. I bought a pair for my last Africa hunt. The crepe sole is what you want - not the lugged rubber sole.

My PH complimented me on my footwear. Said most Americans coming over buy the ultra-heavy lugged boots and they are too noisy. Mine were quieter than his boots.

I understand they used to have a nice, quality lining. Not any longer. Mine are completely unlined - one thickness of leather all over. Took me about 2 weeks to get them broken in so I didn't have to wear a band aid on the top of my small toe on the left foot. That unlined leather is a bit rough. Now, they're as comfortable as my bedroom slippers and that crepe sole is pretty non-slip on the ice.

They won't be much protection against snake bites, though.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline stillhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2017, 09:56:00 PM »
Steiger mukluks?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement