3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Woodies vs Modern Arrows -- Your pick & why  (Read 2858 times)

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
Woodies vs Modern Arrows -- Your pick & why
« on: December 21, 2016, 03:25:00 PM »
I started off this traditional kick with some carbon arrows.  My hunting arrows are all carbons.  They're readily available from the local shops who mostly sell to compound shooters.  They're very modular and allow for a lot of customization of the components (weight, diameter, spine, inserts, nocks, etc.).  They can take a beating -- far more than the aluminums I shot as a kid.

But after making a board bow, it seemed a disgrace to shoot carbons from it.  And needing a lighter spine than my recurves, paying less than half the cost was a better selling point to the spouse, who rolls her eyes at every "needed" purchase.  So I've been shooting woodies a lot the past couple months and have been enjoying them.

Now that I've shot both, I'm torn.  Part of me likes the woodies.  The smell of real wood, the ability to adapt what you have rather than being forced to buy yet one more specific item, the sound of wood launching off the shelf -- it has an appeal.  And, surprisingly to me, I shoot them just as well as carbons.

But carbons are darned tough.  I like being able to switch from field points, blunts and broadheads in the field.  And now that I've got my setup tuned in, there isn't much by way of extra cost other than the occasional pack of shafts and spare parts.

So what do you shoot and why?  Reasons need not sound logical.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Woodies vs Modern Arrows -- Your pick & why
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 03:27:00 PM »
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 03:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by YosemiteSam:
[QUOTE Sorry -- Double Post
[/QB][/QUOTE]

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 03:39:00 PM »
I shoot woodies just because I like them better.  Can't say that they are superior to modern materials in any way except that I just like them.
To me that is what your choice of bow, clothes, arrows, etc all boils down to.

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 03:42:00 PM »
For me it all depends on the particular bow I'm shooting. My first bow has shot Douglas Fir from the beginning, some of my D/R bows like carbon, and my ASL's like aluminum. It boils down to what tunes best to the bow. Aside from serious stumping, I haven't had durability issues and all have produced clean kills.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 03:47:00 PM »
I'm the same as you and had always preferred carbon over wood until I got a Selfbow. I've made several batches of wood arrows and just find them noticably inconsistent in accuracy compared to my carbons. I'm sure much of this has to do with my poor arrow making and straightening skills though.
For me my self bows will always shoot wood and my laminated bows will always shoot carbons or aluminums.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 04:09:00 PM »
Nothing flies better than a cane arrow with wild turkey feathers..

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 04:19:00 PM »
I prefer wood all the way. It is what was common at the location where I started out, but later, when I got a Hill bow, it just seemed traditional to shoot wood. Besides, I find it performs well, looks good, and is more durable than many might think. Good wood arrows shoot tighter groups than most any of us can hold (bad wood arrows are atrocious).

I have also shot a lot of aluminum and find it a very good arrow material. The only reason I prefer wood is strictly traditional preference.

I have only tried carbon once or twice, and for some reason, it was just a pain to deal with. I just don't like it even though, as far as physical attributes go, is probably the best material under discussion.
Sam

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 04:46:00 PM »
Carbon or aluminum with carbon internal shaft.

Straightness and tunable.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 04:56:00 PM »
I've been shooting carbon for a bunch of years now. I like the fact that I can travel to a hunt, put on field points to practice and then when its time to hunt screw on the broadheads. I can switch broadheads easily. Right now I havea few bows that shoot heritage 150's all with different point weights. Easy to accomplish with carbon.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 05:28:00 PM »
I have and do shoot all three.....wood, aluminum and carbon....I always seem to drift back to my Easton 2018's......have taken much game with them...kind of like a good old friend......
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 05:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mint:
I've been shooting carbon for a bunch of years now. I like the fact that I can travel to a hunt, put on field points to practice and then when its time to hunt screw on the broadheads. I can switch broadheads easily. Right now I havea few bows that shoot heritage 150's all with different point weights. Easy to accomplish with carbon.
Yep, thats why I like carbons, such a versatile shaft
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 06:08:00 PM »
I shoot all three as well. This coming Javelin season I have made a few cedars that fly perfect with my Snuffers. But for "shooting" I lean towards carbons. They bounce off our rocks without harm. I also like aluminums and still have 5-6 dozen shafts to make into arrows. I like them for 3D shoots.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 06:09:00 PM »
Wood, fiberglass, aluminum, carbon...I have shot them all and like them all.

However, good wood arrows take time, effort, patience, skill, but awesome when done right.

Fiberglass are great, but tough to find these days.

Carbon arrows are durable, but can be contrary to tune.

Aluminum is tough, has good weight, easy to tune, and probably my favorite at this time.
Lon Scott

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 07:06:00 PM »
I dont think there is any disputing woods are inferior for straightness, tolerances, weight, convenience, and strength when compared to carbon or even aluminums. The question I had to ask myself was, do they have to be so exact, in order to effectively and consistently take game? Obviously not. I cant get past the charisma and silent flight of the wood.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 07:36:00 PM »
I shoot Hill Style longbows.  Shooting a carbon or aluminum arrow out of that style of bow is kind of like fishing with a night crawler on the end of a bamboo fly rod - It might be very effective, but something just doesn't seem right about it    :laughing:
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 07:46:00 PM »
Once I went to good Douglas Fir arrows there was no going back. Inferior! I don't think so and never have to touch them they give up nothing and I will never miss carbon arrows.

I've been shooting them for years and nothing else is needed for my longbows.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »
I have all three : aluminum, carbon, and wood.  I shoot all three but somehow, I just shoot wood better.  I shoot spines from 50-55 to 55-60 cedars, Douglas fir, and spruce out of 50-55lb straight limb longbows without issue.  Yes, wood arrows are more maintenance and not readily able to change between different heads as the others. I like how they shoot out of my longbows.  I also like the feel and the smell of them.

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2016, 08:11:00 PM »
I am currently shootin carbon/aluminum (FMJ's). Before this, I shot carbon. I shoot carbon because I know how to tune them. I hate woods because I cannot figure out how to tune them!

I have some woods that I shoot at 3D shoots. They let me shoot another round that I would not have been able to otherwise. But, I only hunt with my FMJ's! (exception to the rule is the few times I hunt with my selfbow)

Bisch

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2016, 08:37:00 PM »
You don't have to limit yourself to one or the other.  I shoot both.  Most of my woodies are Sweetland forgewoods which I collected over the years.  Most are about the diameter of my skinny carbons, but physically heavier. They're tougher than most other wood shafts, but still not as tough as carbon.

I shot wood exclusively for about 50 years, but have been shooting carbons more the past half-dozen years or so, primarily because they're tougher than wood and I can load the front end for high FOC.  

I hunt with both.  The last elk I killed with a front loaded Easton Axis shaft.  The last buck with a Woodsman tipped Forgewood.  It's all good.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©