3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Woodies vs Modern Arrows -- Your pick & why  (Read 2859 times)

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Woodies vs Modern Arrows -- Your pick & why
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2016, 03:51:00 PM »
Wood all the way!!! I enjoy build them, plus they are way better looking. I also never had a problem tuning them to any of my bows. As far as durability goes it doesn't matter to me nor do i care. I have put some through hell before they broke. Besides if you hit your target they will last.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2016, 10:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Yewbender:
Besides if you hit your target they will last.
That's what I keep saying!
If you don't want your arrows to break then don't miss.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2016, 01:24:00 AM »
Bwahaha soon true yewbender

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2017, 10:34:00 AM »
I'm not going to lie those woodies are really nice looking, a true functional piece of art.

I'm going to have to start making my own.

Carbon arrows are a byproduct of the whole lighter = faster = better compound movement.

The more that I shoot archery the simpler and more traditional I seem to go and the more enjoyable it becomes.

I started out with a recurve, then went with a longbow, and now I'm learning to make self bows.

Very addicting.

« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
I can make someone a wood arrow that is close to their actual draw, without the need to do that 'start long you make the spine yourself' game that needs to be done with carbon arrows.   Shorter arrows are easier to pick and tune.  Wood arrows fit that.  Wood arrows can be easier to handle by the nock,  those long carbons with all of the weight on one end are clumsy things when handling by the nock.  Wood arrows can be drawn more quietly out of a back quiver.  Those extra long carbons are like having fishing rods sticking out of your back quiver.    Wood arrows make me feel like a natural part of nature, carbon arrows are bogus.

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2017, 02:26:00 PM »
Nice topic here but no hating on my part here...
I love my carbon arrows, they seem to tune with less effort and footed are amazingly tough and durable. However I will admit to loving wood way more... why? I am drawn to being able to make my own gear and hunting things. I have bought dozens of shurewood shafts and made arrows but when I learned I could go cut Red Osier shoots across the road from my house, dry them for two years, straighten them with heat, scrape and sand them to get a spine, use feathers from a goose or wild turkey I killed, carve and sand in a self nock... well I was amazed and intrigued. For me you can not buy what you can make... It's more than the end result. It's the process and learning, how it feels as you hold it in your hands and looked down at it. I'm still learning but its been fun along the way.

TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2017, 04:01:00 PM »
I have, and shoot, all three. But hands-down, I prefer the woodies. It seems right, is the only way I can put it. All but one of my trad bows are vintage Bears, and shooting carbon or aluminum out of them, while probably a better choice, seems out of step. I've been advised to go with modern carbon for all the advantages available, but then...if I wanted advantages, I have some of those "other bows" in the closet. Why not just go Full Monte, right?
No, I shoot old Bear bows because I WANT to, and likewise with my woodies. It just feels right.

Sockrsblur, those arrows are BEAUTIFUL!
Aim small,miss small

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©