3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shelton  (Read 421 times)

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
Shelton
« on: December 21, 2016, 06:56:00 PM »
I got a new (to me) Shelton. I love it. I'm waiting for weather to improve to bareshaft. What are you long draw Hill guys shooting ? I'm drawing 64-65 @30-31". I've been shooting 300 gr up front. 50 gr brass insert, 250 gr head. 32" or thereabouts arrow length. Thank you
What spine is a GT 55/75. The one I'm shooting flies great. Thanks again.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shelton
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 07:12:00 PM »
400 spine.
shoot straight shoot often

Online matt steed

• Trad Bowhunter
  • For God So Loved The World
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 10:25:00 PM »
What length is your Shelton? I have a 30 inch draw also. I shot two Sheltons last year at the Howard Hill shoot. They shoot really well. They were both 68 inches.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 04:57:00 AM »
It is 68 as well. I love it. I wish work and weather would let me spend some time with it.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 10:05:00 AM »
Jim,

When I talked with Steve Turay about arrows for my Shelton, he said that they tend to like arrows spined at or slightly lower than marked weight. This has held true for me for wood arrows at 28" draw.  My Shelton is 55#@28 and I'm shooting tapered cedar arrows from Paul Jalon at Elite Arrows in two combinations 53-55# spine, 29" arrow to BOP and 125 grain head.  Also, 61-63# spine tapered cedar arrows with 185 grain head, 29" BOP arrow. I usually figure 5-7 grains point weight per # of spine over the unwritten standard of 125 grains point weight at 28" draw. I also use 5# of spine for each inch of draw over or less than 28" as my rule of thumb.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 10:45:00 AM »
Yeah, I had to pry my Sheltons out of Matt's hands with a crowbar at the Howard Hill shoot! If the arrows you are using now fly great, I would not worry too much arrow tuning. This set up is good, but a little experimenting may find that extra special set up, but there is certainly no pressure to do so immediately. I have also found that my bows like arrows very close to the stated draw weight of the bow. But I shoot arrows outside the normal specs preferred by most archers. For example, I draw 25" but like 29" arrows. I shoot 50-55# shafts with 125 grain points(they also handle 55-60# well, also). Both of these bows are 53# at 28" draw. One is cored with bamboo, and the other is yew. I only shoot wood arrows. I LIKE my Shelton bows! I think you will like yours as well.
Sam

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 11:03:00 AM »
Thanks Ray.  Where we live you go to work in the dark and you come home in the dark. No daylight to bareshaft. I love shooting it  though. Hard to believe I might be shooting a 400 spine. The fletched 400 I have flies well though.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 11:28:00 AM »
Jim,
My simple tuning method that I've used for years, step back 25 to 30 yards, shoot broadheads and field points together randomly.  If they're grouping together, I'm tuned. If not, treat the broadhead arrows as if they're bareshafts.  

You're right, between dark and super cold last weekend it's hard to get practice time in.  I'm hoping to make a few sits these last 10 days of the season. Ideally the last sit I fill my final tag.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 12:45:00 PM »
Me as well. My favorite week to hunt is Christmas week. I've got  a score to settle with one, with a very big track. He's been  hanging around my hemlocks.

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 12:50:00 PM »
I really can't believe how quiet it is as well. Throws an arrow nicely.

Online matt steed

• Trad Bowhunter
  • For God So Loved The World
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 12:27:00 PM »
Sam; you are right about your bows. That brown Shelton with yew wood was one smooth shooting longbow. The grip was perfect for me. As a matter of fact; what will you take for that old bow? I will take it off your hands so you can shoot your green Shelton.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 03:17:00 PM »
You can only shoot one at a time anyway Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©