3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Camo question  (Read 395 times)

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Camo question
« on: December 22, 2016, 04:31:00 PM »
Just picked up a piece of Sitka Gear outerwear.  The camouflage pattern is something called Elevated II.  When I took it out of the box, the first thing my wife said is, "It makes me dizzy. I'd be able to spot that anywhere."  

Hmmmmm.  I've always worn wool to this point, mostly plaids and KOM stuff.  This is my first foray into synthetics.

I know Sitka Gear has been on the market for a while and has a good reputation. It's computer generated camo patterns have been around for a bit is well, though the Elevated II pattern I believe was first introduce last year.  My question is this.  For those of you who use the Elevated II pattern, does it work, or do deer pick you out, not to mention people?

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Camo question
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 05:40:00 PM »
I love it!  I've been using for two years. In fact, a coat I bought for my grandson's Christmas just arrived today.  I bought his dad a set of bibs and pull-over in same  material.

While I like Sitka Gear and this pattern, I'm not going to attribute deer not seeing me to using this or any other pattern.  From your posts, which I have great respect for,  I know you know that movement is the greatest tip off to the eyes of our mammalian quarry.

Except for my son, I don't hunt around other people so I can't speak to whether or not other people can pick it out.  I doubt it though.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 05:53:00 PM »
Good to hear.  Agreed that movement is more important than type of camo.  Would be leery of stuff that actually draws attention though.

Haven't put my wife to the test yet.  Think I'll don the coat and go stand in the bushes in the yard and ask her to see if she can pick me out.     :bigsmyl:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 06:40:00 PM »
I have a light shirt in the pattern, but haven't had a chance to wear it as an outer layer yet.

It doesn't look like a bad pattern to me, especially for ground hunting.  Although I will say I normally prefer more open patterns like Predator and ASAT.

I was hunting a couple of days ago with an ASAT coat.  Late season with not much but sky behind you can be tough, but I had two different mature does look directly up at me and then quickly dismiss me.  That speaks volumes to me on a camo patterns effectiveness.  Although in hind sight, given the fall that I have had, maybe it was more a reflection of their complete disregard for my shooting skills.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline hawk22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 07:27:00 PM »
I have had very good experiences with that pattern.  Knock on wood, I have yet to be spotted by deer while I was wearing it. I will say I brush my stands in pretty well too.

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 09:01:00 PM »
I'm sure it works fine - for me though, I simply don't like the look of digital patterns.  It has nothing to do with effectiveness ...I simply don't like the look of it.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 09:41:00 PM »
That's funny Joe  At least it speaks of some action.  I haven't had a shot yet this fall, though I did pass up a couple of small bucks during early season.  Still a couple of weeks left.  Plan to try out this new jacket after Christmas.

J.C.  I know what you mean.  Going to take some getting used to for me as well.

I really like wool, but it just doesn't stop the wind, thus my search for something that does.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 09:44:00 PM »
Make sure your wife isn't near a rock when you jump out of the bushes!

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 04:36:00 PM »
I know your question was on the pattern, but I never think the pattern matters much.  Almost anything with some pattern will be "good enough" camouflage, IMO.

I have found in the last several years that I buy most of my stuff for the fit and finish of the materials and the features and not the pattern.  Or at least that is what I tell myself. :-)

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 05:09:00 PM »
lt-m-grow:  That's pretty much what I do as well.  I really like wool and will never give that up.  Over the past several years, I'm experiencing more and higher winds where I hunt in northern Wisconsin.  Too, I'm getting old(er) and just can't take the cold like I used to.  For all its beneficial properties, wool just doesn't block the wind. That's why I'm giving wind blocking synthetics a shot. Jury is still out.

Offline Fowl intentions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 07:29:00 PM »
The Elevated II pattern is meant for tree stand hunting, if you look at some of their lineup you can see that the clothing is lofty and designed for stationary hunting situations.

All of the Sitka Gear Optifade patterns are designed as to how the intended animal views the world, not humans. Here is a link as to how Gore-Tex explains it:
 http://www.optifade.com/patterns/elevated-ii

I love the stuff. The type of mountain hunting I do in all weather conditions, this is the only stuff I wear. Think mountaineering clothes designed for the hunter. They have a great customer service department to boot.

Hope this informs you.

cheers

Offline JR Belk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 08:11:00 PM »
If you like Sitka, just wait until this year. You'll see what I mean.
Northern Mist Classic
Northern Mist Whisper
Northern Mist Superior

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 08:15:00 PM »
Fowl:  Yes, looking at it, it seemed to me it would make a decent tree stand pattern.  There's a fair amount of white and light color in it.  More would be even better, I think.  Actually, I'm thinking it would blend in quite nicely sitting in a brush pile as well.  

JR: ? Are they coming out with new patterns?  Might mine already be obsolete?   :goldtooth:

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 08:53:00 PM »
I love the Elevated II pattern. Deer can't see it. I still wear other camo patterns including KOM's eye-d-version and love how quiet wool is.

If it's windy at all, I'm in Sitka Gear.
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©