3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Too much tinkering???  (Read 961 times)

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Too much tinkering???
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2016, 01:21:00 PM »
Tinkering is a learning process.  Book knowledge can only take you so far.

I'll tinker with the gear for a while.  Then I'll tinker with my shooting, trying different anchor points, shooting positions, instinctive vs gap, etc.  Then I'll pick up my thumb ring & shoot with that for a while.  Then I'll just go for plain, old fashioned accuracy.  Then I'll notice a fluke in my gear and I'm back to tinkering with that.  I've enjoyed building some pretty shoddy board bows -- just more tinkering.  It's all part of the fun.  Stop tinkering with something and you've effectively stopped learning.  But, hey, every student needs a break sometimes.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2016, 01:25:00 PM »
The desire to be a better and more accurate shooter keeps me tinkering. Why limit yourself?

Half the fun is in the journey.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Medicare Bhtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2016, 02:25:00 PM »
Me, I'm old school.....if it ain't broke.....
But my best shooting/hunting buddy is always "tinkering" with something. Buys, sells or trades 3-4 custom bows per year.  Tests arrow spine, length, point and insert weight and FOC.  Strings material, brace height, nock point, silencer material and position. I could go on, but you all understand.
I understand his thinking because he is a retired Engineer!

Offline Leinsg91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2016, 02:48:00 PM »
I have no problem with the guys who love changing this that and the other like Medicare Bhtr's buddy if that's what you like have at it. I know I like to tinker out in the shop and make this or fix that.

My point was; I love to shoot my bows, I know a setup that will work well for what I need, so what the heck am I changing point weight and switching arrows and then adjusting to those setups when I could be out practicing and having more fun   :knothead:

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2016, 11:17:00 PM »
Whatever makes the past time of archery enjoyable for you is what you should do.

When I started shooting stickbows 20 years ago no one at least that I came across, bare shafted or paper tuned.  I didn't hear about that until the last ten years or so.    If you know what to look for, what to listen for and what the feel of the shot should be, you know if  your arrow is tuned to the bow.

In my early years myself and my cronies only shot wood.  Wood is very forgiving.  When I started shooting carbon and aluminum,  I had more difficulty.  It seemed I had to have a different set of arrows for each bow as they were more temperamental.  

If you enjoy the process of tinkering go for it.  Why not.  Enjoy the process whatever that is for you.

Offline kenneth butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2016, 12:00:00 AM »
I love to tinker,I learn things.I learn things from other folks that tinker and post. Having said that my go to bow once tuned,stays together with the arrows,and is left alone, with just an occasional brace height check. I agree with Bisch I dread changing the string,for fear of disturbing something.    Ken

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2016, 07:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
I am not, and never have been much of a tinkerer! I find a setup that works, and that's what I stick with. I hate even changing out strings!

Bisch
X2! Been using the same setups since the beginning, although, I do change my strings yearly    :D
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2016, 08:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by The Nocking Point:
What Bisch said
Terry
X2
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline flyflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2016, 09:04:00 AM »
I do like to tinker but i also got into trad archery to get back to "simpler" things. When we look at the tinkering that goes along with traditional archery as compared to the multitude of technological tinkering that is common place with the compound crowd, fiddling with arrow materials, spine weight and balance is still pretty "simple".
I am in the process of trying wood shafts for the first time since childhood. Again, this is in an effort to get closer to simpler or more traditional things.There is a fair amount of tinkering i am having to do to find the right set up for my bows.
I am all for keeping this fantastic addiction of ours Simple. I guess my definition of simplicity has more to do with an avoidance of technology than avoiding the fiddle factor.
Thanks Leinsg91 for providing us with some for for thought this morning.
Merry christmas everybody!

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2016, 09:12:00 AM »
I tune my arrows once, then go with them. Whether they're woodies or carbon, I find the setup that tunes best and stay with it. That said, if I want to purchase different arrows for 3-d season, with lighter weight tips than my hunting arrows, then I will tinker and tune until I find the right setup for that arrow. Then, I'll stay with it.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2016, 09:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by The Nocking Point:
What Bisch said
Terry
Same here.
T ZZZZ

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2016, 09:43:00 AM »
I'm with Tajue17. Tinkering is enjoyable to me but when I find that perfect combo I stop for the most part. I don't calculate FOC or anything else. My only goal is at least 10 gpp and the best arrow flight I can get out of a particular bow.

A big benefit to tinkering is it gives you an opinion on different setups with various bows. This is a social media sharing site and without tinkering an opinion is uneducated.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2016, 09:52:00 AM »
Hunting bow...all set, no tinkering. 3-D bow...all set, no tinkering. Indoor bow....tinkering all the time. Rest, glove or tab, different tabs, 3 different arrows, point weight. Driving me crazy.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2016, 10:50:00 AM »
I love to tinker , it's who I am
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2016, 04:13:00 PM »
Once i find my setup im done. My woodies come out around 600 grains and thats what i shoot. I feel no need to figure out a lighter setup for 3D shoots looking to get a faster shooting arrow.

I see guys' tinkering all the time and they are never happy. They will change something and then read or hear about something else and back they go to tinkering. Make's me laugh because most of the time they have a great setup and then go mess it up by changing...but to each their own!

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2016, 04:24:00 PM »
I dont know about anyone else that tinkers, but when I find something that works good, and want to continue on tinkering, I dont just scrap the good working set ups. I keep track of everything, so its not really lost or messed up. Its just another good option to add to the list of possibilities. Nothing is lost.

Offline flyguysc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2016, 08:24:00 PM »
Done tinkering.

Winners make commitments ,Loser make excuses

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2016, 10:45:00 PM »
To me tinkering is like picking fly **** out of black pepper. Your pepper is going to taste like **** or you will be throwing good pepper away. A bow, good matched arrows, a sharp broad head and your good to go.   :archer2:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2016, 11:22:00 PM »
Gotta go with Bisch and the rest.  Not big on fixin' what's not broken.

Deno
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2016, 09:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by flyflinger:
I do like to tinker but i also got into trad archery to get back to "simpler" things. When we look at the tinkering that goes along with traditional archery as compared to the multitude of technological tinkering that is common place with the compound crowd, fiddling with arrow materials, spine weight and balance is still pretty "simple".
I am in the process of trying wood shafts for the first time since childhood. Again, this is in an effort to get closer to simpler or more traditional things.There is a fair amount of tinkering i am having to do to find the right set up for my bows.
I am all for keeping this fantastic addiction of ours Simple. I guess my definition of simplicity has more to do with an avoidance of technology than avoiding the fiddle factor.
Thanks Leinsg91 for providing us with some for for thought this morning.
Merry christmas everybody!
X2!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©