3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Great Day Almost Missed  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
A Great Day Almost Missed
« on: December 24, 2016, 12:52:00 AM »
Haven't posted for quite some time as life has been a roller coaster for us the last several years, But i have been silently stalking you all when i haven't been working on getting our little cabin/ homestead in order. The ups, riding my Harley as much as health would allow an rode with my brother all over the western states one summer. To the lows helping my wife fight cancer this year, and dealing with finding my father passed away in the woods while he was bow hunting. But this fall my wife made it crystal clear i was to grab the bow an we would spending as much time as we can hunting. We live out in the country now and have hunting out our back door so no excuses. Here's a little story about one day I'll share. One day in November around  4 o'clock the alarm goes off and i roll over to smack it quiet. Nothing but pain here, and pain there an I just wasn't feeling it this morning. As i sat on the edge of the bed the negativity begin to sit in an I'm thinking screw this, i hurt too much. We haven't seen a single deer in two days an is  hunting these out of the way woodlots worth it?  So far we've spent 240 hours in the blind and haven't been seeing the deer numbers like in the past few years. Something in me forced me to grab the cane and drug my butt up to make a pot of coffee. As it was brewing I needed to see just how cold it was outside. When i stepped out on the porch it didn't take long to see why Arthur had a death grip on my back, knees an hip, it was 26 degrees foggy, and wet. As i stood out there as i often do every morning taking it all in, i thought what the hell Vic you've hunted worse places before. And you know from the past sooner or later at this time of the year the one might walk by, so Suck it up and get out there. Going back in I threw a couple logs in the wood stove to keep my honey warm an put on my hunting clothes, grabbed my thermos of coffee and stumbled to the back forty to the blind. Before i got into the blind i gave the fake scrap a good dose of buck urine, an set up the decoy. As the day came alive hundreds of birds where out looking for grub in front of me in the trees and in the food plot. I was startled as a cardinal landed right smack in front of me on the ledge of the blind. He only stayed long enough to say hi an bye before jumping off into the cedar tree next to me where his girlfriend was waiting on him. I was impressed to say the least. About a half hour later a little downy woodpecker flew in the opening of the blind and landed on my arrow. I don't know who jumped the highest. Wow!! i was blown away. As i sat there drinking my coffee thinking about that an  all the different kinds of birds flying around I got to thinking, What a amazing morning. If i would have given in to the those painful negative thoughts, see what i would have missed. I sat there for a few more hours still not seeing any deer an reminded myself a successful hunt isn't all about bagging game, but still being able to hunt. Around 9:30 i grabbed my thermos and filled my coffee cup. As i turned back around to focus out over the little food plot movement caught my eyes beyond it.  Antlers were bobbing through the brush out of our deer sanctuary headed to the creek running along my left. When he hit an opening i recognized him right off. Three years ago we first seen him from this blind and his rack was just as white and just as big.  240 hours of sitting in this blind and there he was again this year. This old boy my wife named Snowball was finally getting closer. I put my coffee down an grabbed the doe call, ten more feet an he'll see the decoy out in the food plot from where he is. I blew on the call softly and he stopped looking around. I really didn't want to blow it anymore as i knew he would pin point the sound right to the blind an not the decoy. He took two more steps checking out the decoy and than walked slowly ahead. He didn't get big by being stupid i guess. He was on a mission and i wasn't in the plan. He crossed the creek and kept plenty of brush between us so i sat the bow down and picked up the camera as he walked by me on the left 43 yards away. I sat back thinking what ever it was inside of me that drug me up and off the edge of the bed, was a good thing.  
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Great Day Almost Missed
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 04:33:00 AM »
Makes getting out of bed worthwhile.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 06:38:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
David M. Conroy

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 07:10:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing that.
Stumpshooting; Slinging sticks with sticks toward the origin of the sticks.

Offline RON ROMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
  • 406-505-0534
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 07:28:00 AM »
Thanks for the great story; and a simple lesson/ reminder for all; stay positive and enjoy all the little things in life, specially family and the beautiful outdoors.  Merry Christmas Everyone!
Ron Roman

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 08:02:00 AM »
Well said, enjoy it while you can.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 08:59:00 AM »
I find it harder to get going in the mornings too. I always tell myself that 9 out of 10 times I am happy I did get out there. On the reverse if I don't go it is 10 out of ten times I regret not going and feel like a slug... also I fine I saw the most deer between 9-10 am.... so getting there before dawn is not critical..

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 10:04:00 AM »
Awesome story! Prayers up for your wife!

Merry Christmas,

Bisch

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 10:37:00 AM »
Thanks Vic! Great story... I'll remember it when the warmth of my bed begs me stay....
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 10:42:00 AM »
Nice post. Thanks for sharing. Really struck home.  Merry Christmas.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 10:55:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing that.  It sure resonates with me.  This has been a tough year, actually a couple, three years.  Many family losses, some expected, some tragic, most somewhere in between.  I too am helping my wife battle cancer.  We are halfway through chemo.

Last weekend, I took a couple days to myself at my camper adjoining public land in S. Indiana.  I hunted in the cold ice and rainstorm Friday night and had an absolute blast overlooking a valley from a ridgetop with the cold wind blasting me in the face.

In the morning, it was still raining, foggy and chilly.  I wasn't going to hunt and then started reading Thoreau's Walden (we named the camper "Walden" since we like to live simply there) and he basically guilted me into getting off my butt and getting out there to hunt.  I spent 4 hours stillhunting a creek bottom and it was magical.  Surely one of my best hunts of the year!

Thanks for reminding me of it.  Take care.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!  May 2017 bless you with abundance of love and peace.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 01:39:00 PM »
Great story. My sister in law is battling cancer right now as well. Seems to be everywhere.

Prayers for your (and John's) families from WV.

Merry Christmas!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 04:17:00 PM »
I know how you feel about it being more difficult to get out of bed and climb in the stand. But, as you experienced, it more often than not, a pleasant thing. Just watching the woods come alive is a great experience.

I was very sorry to read that you lost your father and found him in the woods. I have told my family many times, that when I go, sitting on a deer stand is a good place to be. Not all people get to die while doing something they like.

All in all, it seems that with some tough events going on, you have been able to find some bright spots. Have a very Merry Chhristmas.
Sam

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 07:28:00 PM »
Thank you for the words, and Merry Christmas. Life's a struggle at times but we all get through it. My wife beat cancer so far. She underwent Chemo an radiation for 29 days straight. During it we changed what we ate to all cancer fighting foods. Maintaining the positive mind together was the hardest fight but one must do that! Also without a support of family and friends it wouldn't have happened and she wouldn't have been here to hunt with me this past season. Losing my dad was the bigger kick in the sack. He and i started bow hunting in 1969 together and he never missed a season until this past one. He lived his life his way right to the end when he should have hung up the bow a year ago. What positive i have left in me must have come from that stubborn old hunter.
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2016, 07:31:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2016, 01:20:00 PM »
Thanks Vic. Glad to see you posting again. Prayers are out to all the folks who cannot find the strength to do what they love. And to the folks here with loved ones fighting the c bug.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2016, 03:20:00 PM »
Thanks Vic. Glad to see you posting again. Prayers are out to all the folks who cannot find the strength to do what they love. And to the folks here with loved ones fighting the c bug.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2016, 08:01:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing your tale. We are defined by how we carry ourselves in times of trouble. You have carried yourself through your struggles with a good and supportive attitude. Thanks for sharing your story and reminding me of the importance of being grateful for the simple pleasures in my life.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline yelper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2016, 09:36:00 AM »
Great post. Thank you

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2016, 11:20:00 AM »
This was a very well written story Mr. Vic!  I enjoyed it a lot and hope you and your wife find 2017 full of blessings.  

Bernie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©