3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Rabbit/Hare Point?  (Read 749 times)

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Rabbit/Hare Point?
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2016, 01:50:00 PM »
I have been wanting to try the hex heads with a judo scorpion, that looks like it would be an awesome combo.  I like that the hex heads come in so many weights too.

The VPA SGT look kind of like the hex heads but maybe more of a sharp scalloped edge.  I have some of them and they are pretty lethal.

This rabbit was killed from a sgt that hit the ground just before the rabbit (my bad) but bounced into his chest and sent him running in a death circle.  pretty good rabbit medicine if you ask me.

I want to try one of those "trantula blunts" made out of the cut up  htm rubber blunts and a steel blunt inside.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2016, 02:01:00 PM »
I like old Bodkins or MA3s. When dogs are around Judo's work fine, and are usually easier to find.

Offline ProAlpine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2016, 05:43:00 PM »
Just ordered some VPA SGTs. We'll see how I do!
Blacktail Sitka 58@30
Schafer Silvertip Longbow 60@30
Morrison Shawnee 60@30

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2016, 04:12:00 PM »
I shot a poor squirrel this year with a steel blunt.  It did plenty of damage and got lots of blood but he still ran off.  Im sure he died, but I think a broadhead would have finished him right away.

The blunt just smashed his lower jaw and his sinuses I guess.  He didnt stick around for the follow up.  Poor thing, but thats hunting.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2016, 04:13:00 PM »
I shot a poor squirrel this year with a steel blunt.  It did plenty of damage and got lots of blood but he still ran off.  Im sure he died, but I think a broadhead would have finished him right away.

The blunt just smashed his lower jaw and his sinuses I guess.  He didnt stick around for the follow up.  Poor thing, but thats hunting.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2016, 04:39:00 PM »
'the hammer' has worked 100% for me on three pheasants and a few rabbits for me this year.  They are $11.99 plus shipping from 3 rivers.   that plus shipping part bugs me a a bit, but still, they work.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2016, 05:14:00 PM »
RJ:  Squirrels are a lot tougher than bunnies, IMO.  For those, I use a broad head whenever I can.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2016, 06:46:00 PM »
For rabbit I would use Judo points. You can almost scare a rabbit to death. They are probably the easiest of game to kill.  It's finding your arrow after the shot is hard. A Judo makes that part of the shot a bit easier.

Online stillhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2016, 08:22:00 AM »
I'm with stagetek use 3 blade bh. Bleed em. The three blade seems to go less distance under the snow then a two blade.Bodkins are my favorite sharpened quick on a belt sander two blades at a time.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2016, 08:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by KSdan:
Hexhead blunt/points blow a big hole in them w/o taking your arrow
X3

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2016, 06:30:00 PM »
Guess rabbits are different in different places.  FWIW, I've shot and killed a ton of them, cottontails (hillybillys)and swamp rabbits.  Judo's, rubber blunts, and regular blunts only work for me if the shot is perfect--solid head shot or square in the vitals.  I've nailed rabbits solid with rubber blunts from an 82# longbow and had them run off.

The best head I've used is a cheap broadhead, and we've lost rabbits with those.  Had them get in a hole literally dragging their guts behind them.

Not as tough as a squirrel, but they have proven themselves to be tough around here.

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2016, 07:14:00 PM »
I have hit squirrels with the old style bludgeons and they hit the ground dead, I have hit rabbits with loaded HTMs and have had them run off and I have had them die on the spot. I have hit them with broadheads and had them get away as well.  It all depends where I hit them.  The steel Hammer is better for me, at least, so far, ones not hit just right have not gotten away from me.    I always used three blade heads when we had many whitetailed jack rabbits around here, an HTM was not a suitable head for them at all.  I have seen both pheasants and rabbits get away when hit with judo points, I have never killed anything with a judo myself, too expensive.

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2016, 10:26:00 PM »
I have been using G5 small game heads these last few weeks. So far I have been happy with their performance on snowshoes and spruce hens and squirrels here in AK. Did break off a claw on a rock. The head still flies well and has taken a bird since being broken.

Best of luck!
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline ProAlpine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2016, 11:32:00 PM »
I've heard judos were not the best for small game and birds in tight cover as the arms can catch on branches and deflect the shot... but that's just what I've heard. I hate loosing arrows and judos are good for preventing that!
Blacktail Sitka 58@30
Schafer Silvertip Longbow 60@30
Morrison Shawnee 60@30

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2016, 11:49:00 PM »
IDK I personally think a lot of things will work or wont work. It's more about getting something to thump them good in the breadbox.  

I havent connected with one yet, but I bet these would work well too

http://images.lancasterarchery.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/13db83bec1fbd986744c31150a1b2502/1/3/1310008.jpg

easy to match weight of your current set up too! just get a field point 25 grains lighter and toss one of these behind.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2016, 12:51:00 AM »
Has anyone used the Talon heads made by Red Feather Archery?  They look like great small game medicine to me, but are a little on the expensive side.

I have about 200 brand new old stock Bodkin 3-blade broadheads.  I'm thinking about taking a Dremel and cutting off the first 1/2 inch or so, so that the impact is on the blunt flattened end of the broadhead.   Seems like something I wouldn't want to get smacked by.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2016, 10:01:00 AM »
Archie, I am thinking that would be great.  I often hunt with a group (WTA) at one of the members farms and with a group plus some dogs along, we have a rule... no broadheads.  Otherwise, I likely would be doing the same.  I also have a (smaller) stock in old Bodkins just asking for a chance.

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2016, 10:20:00 AM »
I shot one last year with a judo point and balled him up, only to see him jump up and run off.  I also hit one with a feild point last year, and he ran off with my arrow never to be recovered.  This year I am shooting Magnus classics, and have not lost one yet.  It comes down to shot placement, just like any animal.  I keep a 10' roll of barbed wire in my truck with a small hook fashioned on the end, and have pulled countless rabbits out of their holes with it.
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©