3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How 2 see a buck  (Read 402 times)

Offline Incognito

• Trad Bowhunter
How 2 see a buck
« on: October 28, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »
For many years my hunting buddy and myself have known for a fact that ducks will come in when you set your gun down and you drop your waders to take a leak or even to get a dip. We always warn each other when the other is going to set the gun down so they will know to be ready. Well I found out it works for bucks also. I was sitting in my stand this evening and had seen one smaller buck 3 different times. It had been a while since the last time he made his circle. I was getting a little cool so I decided I would put my extra shirt on. I un knocked my arrow and leaned it against the tree, and laid my bow on my lap, removed my arm guard, picked up my extra shirt and put it on. I decided I would put my arm guard back on before I buttoned the shirt up. I was pulling my arm guard back over the extra shirt and heard the leaves rattle to my left. I looked down and sure enough there he was 12 yards from my stand. This buck was way bigger than the one I had been seeing, not a monster but a nice 8 point with about a 15 inch spread. He saw me about the same time I saw him, we had the starring contest and head bobbing thingy before he finally headed on his way. So, if you want a nice buck 12 yards from your stand set your bow down and get ready. They will come.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How 2 see a buck
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 11:36:00 PM »
It's true! Deer or just about any other wild game are masters at catching you with your pants down. lol
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline BillJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
Yep - had 2 six pointers come right to the base of my stand last year when I was only half-way up the tree in my climber and my bow was still on the ground!
"Whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved."

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 10:13:00 AM »
Better yet....  :knothead:  
After a few days of Hunting and seeing nothing.
    Break camp load the truck and drive away, and not 50 yards from camp is a deer 10 yds off the road watching you, and then a little further down the road a Buck is crossing a field....
    It never fails, when ya leave, the Deer line up to say "GGOD BYE"   :wavey:
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline MrBadExample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
Seems to be par for the course...my first time out hunting several years ago in Ohio with a friend and we called it a day without seeing a single one when suddenly two nice bucks run across the road directly in front of his truck and into the field we had just left!

Offline jbb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »
Had a bunch of does come up on me right when I had a poptart about 1/2 way out of the noisy wrapper.  I just sat there watching them.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »
A couple years ago I had been passing up the same forkhorn buck that kept going by my stand. He was very comical --- even though he was just a little guy he thought he was the biggest buck in the woods. I saw him several times grunting and chasing does like a big ole boy. Anyway after hunting long and hard during the prime time of the rut and not seeing any big bucks I decided I was going to take him if he came back. Sure enough he showed up and I shot him. I field dressed him that night and somehow managed to forget my knife where I field dressed him. Of cours when I went out the next morning to pick up the knife I had a 160 to 170" buck come right by me!!!  :banghead:    :biglaugh:
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©