3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2017 Hunt Planning - Two Questions  (Read 228 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
2017 Hunt Planning - Two Questions
« on: December 24, 2016, 06:29:00 PM »
I've been in planning mode for my brother, son, and best friend for a couple of weeks. Actually, it seems I never quit.

We went to WY on a DIY antelope hunt just outside Cheyenne this past August (3 of us). My best friend killed a nice buck. My brother missed one and the closest I had was 105 yards.  Saw them every day of course, lots of fun but very difficult, open country to hunt. There were 6 waterholes but we could only hunt 2 of them due to cattle usage (rancher rule). I remain without a buck antelope with a bow. (Killed a doe several years ago).  This was first time I hunted waterhole blinds - BRUTAL heat, in fact unbearable for my brother.

I have an Osceola hunt arranged in Florida 3rd week of March this year. It will be my first for Osceola. If I kill this bird I'll have an archery slam (4).

Had been about to drop deposits on tree stand/blind elk hunt in SW Colorado ($2,500 total hunt package) but turned it down 2 days ago. My buddy is still recovering from the tree stand fall and we lost a deposit for a moose hunt a few years ago because of health.  We need to make sure of his condition before we pull the trigger on something other than DIY.

Now I'm working on WY again (different ranch) or Nebraska.  Trying to make it antelope, mule deer, and Merriams turkey. Shooting for first or second week of September. Hitting the antelope rut seems to be very difficult?  There doesn't seem to be a consensus about when it is (early Sept - early Oct.).  Pretty strange to me because I'm sure it is daylight triggered (actually lack of daylight) like with whitetails.

What are you plans?

Anyone have experience with Nebraska antelope or Mulie?

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2017 Hunt Planning - Two Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 06:40:00 PM »
I was hunting WY the last week of September (elk) this past fall and then drove to my next hunt on Oct. 1:  the antelope were chasing like crazy those last days of September and on October 1.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 06:40:00 AM »
Thanks Jeff!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 10:00:00 AM »
Decoying antelope is a blast,  and from my limited experience I'd say later in September would be prime time.  One factor to keep in mind though is the timing of rifle hunts.  Many areas have rifle seasons cutting that time and you wouldn't want to try decoys during that time for obvious reasons.  Start your planning by checking season dates for rifle in the areas you are considering.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 01:09:00 PM »
Roy, Everywhere I've hunted antelope the rut occurs within 3 days of the 20th of Sept. In the 70's I hunted every other year near Gillette. The 20th was always best. In North Dakota three years the 20th was the best. In South Dakota the last few years the 20th has been the best. I think you a pattern, they will be rutting on the 20th. If I couldn't make it on the 20th, I'd go as shortly as I could after the 20th.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©