3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shoulders, Lightweight Bows and Merry Christmas  (Read 417 times)

Offline twostrings

• Trad Bowhunter
Shoulders, Lightweight Bows and Merry Christmas
« on: December 24, 2016, 09:18:00 PM »
I can't help but be excited about Christmas this year because my two little girls are so amped about it. I pray all of you are able to experience God's grace in the person of Christ Jesus tonight and tomorrow. He gave me great hope many years ago and still does to this day.

I know that shoulder injuries are a topic that come up in PowWow every so often, this time it's my turn. I got hurt at work and just learned a couple things 1) My AC joint in my drawing arm is injured...the MRI's didn't show any tears, but the ligaments/soft tissue definitely hurt and get upset when used, and 2) I've also got arthritis in the joint. Yuck. Any of you been here and just happen to be experts in getting well? I'm fearful that my life long hobby might be taken away from me.

Also, the arthritis gets me worried long term and I'm thinking about dropping some significant bow weight. Before the Doc told me I couldn't lift more than 15 lbs I was shooting a 60 lb Bob Lee takedown. Have any of you dropped weight? Got any pointers? I'm thinking of going down drastically...like to 35-40lbs...I'd rather shoot light into my old age than get stopped altogether.

Thank you everyone, and Merry Christmas.

Matthew

Offline Bill from NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shoulders, Lightweight Bows and Merry Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 10:57:00 PM »
Matthew,

The fear of the unknown is very strong in putting doubt into ones mind.

I too have recently been in your position. And I was frantically searching for answers to many questions.
Eight months ago, I also was injured at work.
The injuries caused major rotator cuff, elbow, and AC joint surgical repairs on both my arms and shoulders.
Some muscles were even cut and moved/reattached to different areas of bone in both arms.
I have just very recently begun strength training to allow me to pull back a bow.
Again, please understand it has already been eight months and I have just started to begin strength training with elastic bands to allow me to focus on drawling back a bow.

I will give you some advice from my personal experience and journey.
First and foremost, Do not listen to people who claim of horrific pain, blah, blah, blah, etc., etc…
All pain is subjective and varies wildly from person to person.
Do not allow others subjective feelings to dictate your recovery from injury.
Keep positive in your outlook and definitely set goals for yourself.
All injuries take time to heal, and all healing of bodily injuries vary from person to person.
Some folks recover faster than others, move along at your own speed, do not rush things.

Try to set positive goals that put you on the path to getting back to shooting.
Physical therapy and working closely with your physician should have you on your way to getting back on track.
You can do anything you put your mind too.
Do not allow others to say you cannot do something.
Take things slowly and in controllable moderation, you will be on your way towards completing your goals.

Here in NJ the minimum draw weight of a bow is set at 35#.
My new longbow is a 45# @ 28”.
Still working towards my goal of shooting my longbow this summer.

There are some real good people here with a wealth of experience, be it both in life and in archery.
One such man from here, Doc Nock, helped me to calm my jittery nerves and see things more clearly before my surgery. For his help I am truly grateful.

There are sure to chime in here and will be able to give some solid advice.

Regards,

Bill
Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 12:50:00 AM »
Amen to Bill's comments.  We are all different.  I am 64 and have some arthritis. My knees in particular but also in the joints of my fingers.

PT and Yoga have helped me a lot. Also joined a Spin Class, and that seems to be helping to reduce the pain in my knees.

I used to shoot 60 lbs also. I have dropped down to 48lbs to 55 lbs. If I were to order a new bow it would probably be around 50 lbs at my drawlength. (But I would keep my 55lb bow just in case I draw that moose or elk tag). I probably shoot 4 to 5 times a week, in moderation.

Activity seems to be the best remedy for me. Laying around is when I get really sore.

I hope you get it figured out.
Merry Christmas.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 11:26:00 AM »
Google Indian clubs, start off light, like 1#, for a arthritis avoid night shade vege's, yoga difinately works !

I am 67, and my bows were from 37-60#, I don't workout as much as I should. The proof will be in my upcoming physical therapy, I got busted up pretty good due to a bad driver, so now we'll see how and if I can come back from 6 weeks so far but will be more like 12 of being able to do absolutely nothing !

Good luck with your shoulder.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 12:00:00 PM »
I agree with what Bill from NJ. Go through your rehab diligently, and pay attention to the doctor and the therapist and be persistent. Progress at the rate that your body tolerates best. I found rehab painful at first, but I definitely saw steady and rapid improvement. I will never regain full range of motion and full strength, but I can pull my hunting bows again. Just do the best you can, and you will probably be shooting comfortably again, even if you do have to drop in weight. The main thing is to be able to shoot and to hunt. Over time, I think your draw weight will increase, at least to a moderate degree. Just go at your own pace do what you can do comfortably. Good luck for a satisfactory recovery.
Sam

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 02:52:00 PM »
Everybody should be lifting weights their entire lives. I know 70 year old men in my gym who can still bench over 300 lbs and do 20 plus pullups. Keep this in mind younger folks. Prevention is the only way to age well.

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 04:55:00 PM »
When I hurt my draw shoulder last year year, doing my special circus act.   The one of a kind switch hands with the leaf blower  with a twist half gainer and celebratory rung grab only three rungs down, from the top of a 20 foot ladder, found after a few weeks of shooting left handed that I could shoot right handed if did a mostly spreading draw with a little bit of a lifting swing, and minimized my stroke length of my right arm to just a few inches.   I did not waste any more time at full draw than I needed.   I still get a twinge now and then when I am holding long when practicing repeated long shots.   I can shoot my normal Hill style draw with a one second tempo with no issues.  I tried a few shots with my target bow and longer draw target shooting style a week after the near fall,  that was a no go, it hurt.   I demonstrated shooting that bow last august when selling it, it twinged my shoulder agin almost 9 months after the initial injury.   Shoulders are tricky things, all depending on the injury, what works for one person may not work for another.

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2016, 04:59:00 PM »
Agree with the exercise and you will be ultimately the one that will know what you can do.  I have R arthritis and the easier your on it the more it will take.  Other words you have to stay active.  Thirty three years ago I was told I might not walk again after a accident.  Can't run much but I'm still walking and  hunting!
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2016, 05:46:00 PM »
My drawing side shoulder isn't the greatest, but after taking lessons from Arne Moe, I can now shoot just fine, without any issues. Watch his Videos, and/or get with him about personal lessons.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2016, 05:58:00 PM »
Sirius brings up a good point.  Many of us us to much shoulder in the draw cycle than we should.  I have had multiple shoulder surgeries and used to get sire after long shooting sessions.  Better form and using my back more effectively lets me shoot pain and soreness free for the last few years.  MOE's online advice has helped me.
T ZZZZ

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2016, 09:07:00 PM »
I have serious chronic shoulder pain on my draw side. It is caused by constant stress and repetative motion in my work. The one thing that does not hurt, is drawing my 65 lb whip. Go figure, but I will milk this good fortune for as long as possible.

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2016, 06:06:00 AM »
In 1993 I had a bad rotator cuff injury during a parachute jump at work (82d airborne) Docs wanted to do surgery, but one of my platoon Sergeants was an old boxer from east LA, and he showed me how to use light weights to fix it.  Since them I have injured it several more times, but always repaired it with weights. I shot high 70s for many years and even today I am using 64# with not too much trouble. I have pain when I sleep on it, cannot throw overhand to my grandkids, and play he&^ putting on a suit jacket, but can still draw bows pain free.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 03:57:00 PM »
I went from 50 to 42 and it was the best move I've made.  I have been able to refine my form with the lighter bow and can shoot it for longer times.  Arrow choice i have found to be critical w the lighter weight longbows I shoot, but once you're dialed in...

Offline Rod in SC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 03:26:00 AM »
Do a google search for a local prolotherapist. Prolotherapy worked great for my elbow issues.  No surgery involved.  Special injections to the damaged area help to regrow tendon tissue bigger and stronger than before.  It works.
  It was recommended to me by a body builder that suffered shoulder and elbow pain from heavy weights.  Fixed him right up.
Rod Martin

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 10:52:00 AM »
Shot the heavy stuff years ago and had a blast. Every time I turned around though, someone was telling me how they'd shot heavy and paid for it. Didn't really sink in and just figured it was poor conditioning.

Finally hit home when someone I really respected and looked up to messed his shoulder up and needed surgery. He was young and strong, but after a few years it still got him. Eventually he had to quit altogether, as even the lighter stuff would get to him after a while.    

I exercise regularly but have gotten hurt a few times pushing too hard. When shooting my bow is my escape, I can't imagine risking giving it up. Now I listen very closely to the folks who hunt successfully with the lighter stuff. I'm fully committed to the long haul.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 11:24:00 AM »
Rotator cuff exercises. They seem simple but they help.

Shoot less: less weight, less often, more efficient practice

Get an elastic/neoprene shoulder ice wrap that baseball pitchers use after a game.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2016, 12:40:00 PM »
Rotator cuff exercises are really worth doing. They are ridiculously simple, but they really work.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline twostrings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 12:47:00 PM »
Thank you for the encouragement and tips in the right direction. I'm truly hoping this works itself out through doctors, PT, etc. right now I have a hard time unloading the dishwasher! ha

Looks like I'll be doing exercises for a while in between doctors visits. Maybe Fall 2017 will have me back in the woods!

I appreciate you all...if anyone else knows of anything else to try, I'm all ears.

Matthew

Offline twostrings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2017, 10:53:00 PM »
A little over a year ago I injured my shoulder and could barely use my arm, much less shoot a bow. Yesterday, after a long recovery from surgery, I was cleared to do all things. It's a good day.

Not being sure how the shoulder will hold up, I ordered a 35 Pounder with the weakest spined arrows I've ever purchased. I can't tell you how excited I am to play in the backyard again. I miss this past time more than is probably healthy  :)

Matthew

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2017, 12:50:00 AM »
I'd hop on that 35 to 40 pound train and roll with it brother a lot of people claim 50 to 60 but .... to each his own I guess but ill never shoot anything more than 45 no need in it on ol Bambie
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©