3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advice to You Younger Hunters  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
Advice to You Younger Hunters
« on: December 24, 2016, 09:18:00 PM »
When I was young and had little money, I wanted to go on several out of state hunts. Although I hunted CO every year,I had dreams of going on a couger hunt, moose and caribou in Canada or Alaska, and possibly an African hunt. I kept putting them off "until I had a little more time and extra money". Well here I am an old guy(turned 75 today)and now that I can afford some of the less costly hunts, my knees are shot and my days of climbing and walking long distances are about over. The only hunts I am capable of now are those that require little walking.

I know some of you have the same dreams and if there is any possible way to make it happen,you should GO! Tomorrow is not for certain.
I remember when Jeanne and I were first married, I spent a few hundred dollars and bought a small ski boat. I was gassing it up early one Saturday morning at our local filling station. My dad came by and started berating me for buying a boat that he thought I could not afford. A friend of his(about the same age as him)took my side and I will never forget what he said: "When he gets old enough to afford it, he will be too old to enjoy it"! There is a lot of truth to what he said. I should have paid more attention.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advice to You Younger Hunters
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 09:32:00 PM »
Well said .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 09:35:00 PM »
Amen friend, good advice.
Stumpshooting; Slinging sticks with sticks toward the origin of the sticks.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 09:36:00 PM »
Bill, I'm only 60 but I feel the same way. I did as many hunts as I could afford with good friends, mostly DIY trips. Wish I had done more of those trips but we split up and went separate ways and I never made those type of friends again, doing most of my deer hunting on my own. Didn't know then how much I would miss hunting with those guys as I do now. So, yeah, I agree that if you want to go on a hunt out of state for elk or bear or deer do it while you are young it'll be alot easier.

And Happy Birthday to Bill!!!
Member NCBA

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 09:40:00 PM »
We live moment by moment. It is a gift to live one day a time. The next day is a gift to us for which would be unwise to be taken for granted.

What are we doing today...this day?
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 09:42:00 PM »
An old codger here that agrees!

Happy birthday.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 09:48:00 PM »
Happy Birthday Bill.  

You are 100% correct.  I'll NOT be that guy, who on my death bed says "I wish I had done that".
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 10:10:00 PM »
Yes...Happy Birthday...
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 10:17:00 PM »
Happy Birthday, Bill!

And I agree with your advice to the younger guys. Work towards your goals, and make them happen!

Bisch

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 10:29:00 PM »
I agree, live all the dreams that you can while you can. But be thankful for what you do have and can afford. Don't be bitter if you just cant do some of these. Count your Blessings, Aim High and be thankful.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 10:33:00 PM »
Happy Birthday from another old fart, and your advice is good. Every day above ground is priceless.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 10:45:00 PM »
True words spoken. Happy Birthday Mr. Kissner
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Alvey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 11:12:00 PM »
Bill,thank you for the Advice always wanted to go west but never did for that exact reason.I think things are about to change.
Hard work spotlights the character of people:some turn up their sleeves,some turn up their noses,and some don’t turn up at all.(Sam Ewing)

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 11:12:00 PM »
Happy Birthday, Bill!  I agree, our regrets in life aren't of what we did, but of what we didn't do.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Alvey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2016, 11:13:00 PM »
Bill,thank you for the Advice always wanted to go west but never did for that exact reason.I think things are about to change.
Hard work spotlights the character of people:some turn up their sleeves,some turn up their noses,and some don’t turn up at all.(Sam Ewing)

Online Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2016, 11:25:00 PM »
Happy Birthday Bill.  
Great advice for sure!!
Deno
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2016, 01:39:00 AM »
Happy Birthday Bill!
Age and infirmity gives no warning, and in fact, doesn't even bother to knock before entering.
Sage advice indeed. You younger hunters should take heed. Find a way. You'll have something to talk about when you can no longer go afield.
Aim small,miss small

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2016, 04:18:00 AM »
100 percent right. At 33, Ive been to Canada 16 times for bear, Idaho for lions, Arizona for javelina, Arkansas for ducks, etc, etc. I leave next week for arizona again and have an africa hunt in the planning

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2016, 06:56:00 AM »
Very true advice. And happy birthday.

The reality for most of us is that in those early years we can barely make it to Friday with the budget and vacation time is so limited its seems extravagant to spend it all on a hunt while leaving a young family at home.

But, I agree so  much that DIY is very possible. I made several of those for mule, antelope, black bear and antelope which were very budget minded...money and time. I made three for elk.

The other thing I'd recommend is start building points in a state or states for a critter or two. Some point building protocols are quite cheap and nothing is more priceless than time.

Another significant thing that happens is your hunting buddies get old, hurt, pass on, or their finances are different. There are some hunts I haven't gone on because I wouldn't leave them out and I couldn't afford more than myself and son.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2016, 07:55:00 AM »
Happy birthday Bill!
I've been trying my hardest to live your advice for a number of years now.  I sure wish I had started earlier.  

Of course a person needs to make time for family as well or that could become another regret. But if a person really wants to do something like an out of state hunt there is almost always a way to make it happen if they just put their mind to it.  It is way too easy to just keep making excuses.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©