3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Buck cruising question  (Read 531 times)

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Buck cruising question
« on: December 25, 2016, 12:25:00 AM »
Scouted a new spot using aerial  photos then went and hunted it today. About 5 min after I got set up I saw a decent buck cruising about 75 yrds from me. He was quartering the wind and was just cruising along. He wasn't walking slowly but was cruising along at a fast walk. He wasn't spooked. I figured the rut was all but over but he was definitely on a mission. I grunted at him but he never even looked my way.  
My question is how often do deer tend to use the same trails and what are the odds of catching him cruising this same trail within the next week? Or should I focuse on places I've seen and hunted deer before? I don't have time to waste. Our season is over next weekend.
Ps.. he's the only legal buck I've seen this season besides the spike I shot last month
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Buck cruising question
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 01:11:00 AM »
I texted you Randy  ;)

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 10:14:00 AM »
I would think it would largely depend on what he was doing at the time you saw him. If he was cruzing looking for does I'd say likely not. If your in the mountains where food is spread out, I'd say likely not. But if your in more of a agricultural setting where he's bedding and feeding in more predictable spots id think it's possible to catch him on that trail again. Where I hunt in the mountain there are no defined bedding and feeding areas bucks visit often enough to get a second chance at them. Most times you better kill him the first time you see him because chance are you will never see him again. Trail cams placed on trails also have proved to me that bucks don't walk certain trails regularly. But that doesn't mean there not in the area. Good luck and hope you catch up with him !
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 11:10:00 AM »
There are several places on my property that are regularly used by deer, such as passing a certain wooded and overgrown property line to a point where they cross the road. If one is chasing does, though, he may not pass that way again. Use the trail cameras to locate those commonly used trails.
Sam

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 11:31:00 AM »
For my experiences over the years hunting in WV, and in NC where populations are fairly high - getting a cruising / rutting buck to follow the same trail is not likely.  My experiences show that once a buck begins cruising and actively looking his normal patterns no longer matter - he has one thing on his mind.  He will frequent and "area" to check and will always utilize the wind to dictate his travel to allow him to cover the most area possible with his nose.  

My advice to hunt bucks when rutting is to find does and areas where deer frequent...he will show up there eventually.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 12:28:00 PM »
That's what I was afraid of! The areas I hunt in east Texas are HUGE tracks of thick hard woods. 3000 - 25000 acres  depending on what area I go to.  The deer are extremely hard to find and when you do find them they have no definitive pattern. When you have that many acres of nothing but the same terrain the deer can go wherever they want and no terrain features to make them want to go any place in particular.  Low deer numbers combined with 20,000 plus acres of hardwoods and 10,000 plus acres of bedding and it's like trying to find a needle in a hey stack.  Only thing I know to do is keep hunting where I've had a few sightings or go to another state! Lol

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 03:59:00 PM »
I beg to differ, I dont think deer just randomly travel for no reason very often. There is likely a reason he went through there and likely a reason he or other deer would go through again with the identical wind situation.
I hunt large tracts as well and yes deer are hard to figure out but patterns are still there. I can tell you one thing, I wouldn't sit in the same spot again! Look at it this way; you could sit in the same spot where you didn't see any deer within range or you could move to where you saw deer within range. I'd say that ups your odds!
Every year I talk to guys who say something along the lines of: "I've been seeing deer but not within range, I'm thinking of moving my stand" ...well, move your stand! Lol

My rule is this, I won't sit in a new spot more than twice if I don't see a deer within range. My more proven spots I'll give three chances

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2016, 04:05:00 PM »
Also, I've had a few situations where seeing the deer clued me in to a solid spot even though I didn't see the deer there but may have seen it coming from there or going to it. Think like Sherlock Holmes lol

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2016, 07:04:00 PM »
I get what your saying Michael. I marked the spot on my maps where I was sitting and where he was traveling. I could clearly see several trees that he walked by that would be good for hanging  my stand. If it's not pouring down rain in the morning I'll be set up there a good hour before daylight.

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 05:26:00 PM »
Yes, If he was cruising through there during the rut, on a similar wind other bucks will also cruise through there.
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 06:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by southernarcher:
Yes, If he was cruising through there during the rut, on a similar wind other bucks will also cruise through there.
My thoughts exactly.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 07:18:00 PM »
Without knowing why he was there and knowing your season is coming to a close, Personally I would move the stand unless the spot you are in dictates otherwise.  Seeing as though its a new area Personally I would move the stand and next also set up trail cameras to get more information for next year.

I think it was Roger Rothaar that said something to the effect if you see a  deer somewhere take note of it. It you see him there again remember it. If you see him there a 3rd time, you better already be hunting it.

Of course given your time restrictions, I would be moving the stand.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 11:36:00 AM »
Cyclic-Rivers EXACTLY

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 12:53:00 PM »
Always lots of opinions on deer hunting. It’s always fun to read others thoughts. I have been very successful during the rut hunting bedding areas. I stick to travel corridors and focus primarily on bedding areas and secondary on food sources. It has worked well for me over the years.

Unfortunately this year I missed a great buck seven days ago on the edge of a bedding area. He was cruising for does just as you described. I was playing the wind and positioning my self trying to take advantage of the terrain. Yesterday I went into the area from a different direction and saw the buck again, but no shot and even saw another shooter. I’m not advocating pushing into bedding areas, but it was the day before our rifle season opener.

I don’t start hunting bedding areas hard until about seven days before our rifle season. When bucks start cruising you better find the does in your area.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 09:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by J. Cook:
For my experiences over the years hunting in WV, and in NC where populations are fairly high - getting a cruising / rutting buck to follow the same trail is not likely.  My experiences show that once a buck begins cruising and actively looking his normal patterns no longer matter - he has one thing on his mind.  He will frequent and "area" to check and will always utilize the wind to dictate his travel to allow him to cover the most area possible with his nose.  

My advice to hunt bucks when rutting is to find does and areas where deer frequent...he will show up there eventually.
X2, good advice   :thumbsup:  the only times I've seen mature rutting bucks run exact routes are between know scrape lines. There's always exceptions and no explanations, some bucks just wonder all over the place. You will see him no matter we're you go lol!

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2017, 12:21:00 PM »
Just out of curiosity. The forum labels you from Texas. Down south the rut is later. In the north is still happening. Can't be over in Texas
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 12:29:00 PM »
Critter getter you say the deer are inconsistant. No way to pattern them.
I watched Barry Wensel once in Bowhunting October Whitetails time speak words that couldn't be more true.
He said break it down to what's hardest to find.
For instance if the area was vast in cover, find the food source. If it's vast in food, find the bedding. In other words find what's less and that'll be a draw.
I don't know Texas at all but if it's very, very dry find some water. This kinda thing.
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 12:29:00 PM »
Just out of curiosity. The forum labels you from Texas. Down south the rut is later. In the north is still happening. Can't be over in Texas
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Offline KodaChuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 12:00:00 AM »
Next time you are in that situation, put the grunt call away and pull out a doe bleat call....one bleat.... that's all. Then....get ready.
Palmer Recurve 64" 46# @ 30"

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 07:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowguy67:
This thread was from late season last year.
still good to hear new responses. This year  I am hunting a funnel about 1/2 mile from this spot in the direction the old buck was traveling. Only made it out a couple times but my hopes are high

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©