3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ghillie suit  (Read 789 times)

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
ghillie suit
« on: December 25, 2016, 11:06:00 PM »
anyone on here hunt on the ground with a ghillie? i got one for christmas from my mother in law and was curious to see how you guys like them and how well they work for deer
aim small miss small

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ghillie suit
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 11:19:00 PM »
I use one, from the ground, nearly exclusively.  I love em.  Which version did you get (string or cloth swatches) ?

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 11:21:00 PM »
They work great, but make sure you trim it to clear the bowstring.
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 11:32:00 PM »
2X , trim the bow arm and some of the chest area of the bow arm side .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 12:28:00 AM »
Yes they work really well! I've killed two deer off the ground with mine and have used it up in a tree as well...so far I haven't been busted visually at all this year which is normally not the case from a treestand.

Like others have said where it and shoot in it and don't be afraid to trim the heck out of it.
Also be aware that they can snag in things, it cost me a shot right off the bat when I started using it

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 07:14:00 AM »
I have the Rancho safari and love it. Just wish I hunted somewhere cooler so I could use it more. Be careful sitting on logs. I have had squirrels, raccoons and nutria walk across my lap.

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 08:03:00 AM »
X2 OBXarcher.........had four raccoons try to climb on me while sitting on the ground with my Rancho Safari. Like Michael mentioned, works well in tree stands too!

They are warm though, too much so for October hunting in Oklahoma.
Never wait too long!

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 08:28:00 AM »
I gave up trees years ago and only use a ghillie now.  Practice with it so you are confident that your string won't catch the fibers.  Get a very comfortable chair to sit on, sit in front of your cover such as bushes, blow downs, etc.  The one thing I still can't get over is how an animal or turkey can be 3 yards away - looking right at me - and not see me.  Oh yeah, use a face mask and gloves.  Camo paint for those areas the mask doesn't cover.  Have fun, they are a blast.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 09:25:00 AM »
As a hint in trimming ( I use a RS ultra light).  I started taking a snip here, a snip there.  I finally cut off the bow arm sleeve totally , just below the elbow.  I don't need it, as long as I wear a long sleeve T shirt, which is my norm anyway while hunting.  I guess a purple and fuschia shirt might clash, but camo is not all that necessary.  

Inside arm of bow arm gets trimmed short, as does much of the bow side chest.  Again, don't need it.  

Trim the hat.  RS comes with a boonie style hat, and I love it, but trim the long hangies so that they don't come over your face right at draw time.

I wear a face mask, one of the kind that is like a cut off stocking that slides over my head, but has no top.  That goes over my face and nose.  Also helps keep skeeters at bay.

Gloves are a no brainer.  There are some on the market that are ghillie like.  Frankly, I don't like them because of all the stuff in my "aim picture".   Trim trim trim.

Problems with a ghillie ?   They could be warm ( mine is the ultra light and not so bad).  They get stuck on everything if you are sneaking.  The animals COULD get too close for you to draw.   They could get addicting.  I have also had close encounters, from birds landing on me to mice and chipmunks walking over my feet, to a skwerl using me as the tree etc.
Chuck

Offline Patknight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 09:25:00 AM »
I love and use mine in any situation I can..one tip is. If you have an area say you have to walk in 3\\4 mile or so through thicker brush ect...I just wad mine up and pack it in..the fringe. Hanging off of the ghillie will grab EVERY branch, twig,or sticker bush on the way in..I wear a lighter camo then..the ghillie suit is warm.

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 10:51:00 AM »
I like mine but my biggest problem is getting my chair to sit stable. I use a shappel 3 legged seat and while it's quiet It takes me too much time to get it steady.

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 11:18:00 AM »
I made my own out of some old netting and tied in jute cord, burlap and strips of earth tone t shirt material. It is a poncho style so my sleeves are exposed so I have less string interference. I found it to be a bit of a hassle so I bagged it. I do still use the ghillie bucket hat I made to go along with the suit. I find that just the ghillie hat works well. It breaks up your human shape. I've had a number of very close encounters with a standard ASAT camo pull over and the ghillie hat.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 01:05:00 PM »
I'm sold on the Rancho Safari long coat with RS face mask and hat. Great product, however, the jute model, which I own, can get hot in warm weather. I always pack mine in with my Waldrop pack seat or my Huntmore chair. Great way to hunt.   :campfire:

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 01:46:00 AM »
i use the asat leafy suit- maybe not as "ghillie" as a true ghillie suit- but it is extremely effective- had a red tailed hawk land on my head once- and very light weight and cool- used it in africa very effectively

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 09:02:00 AM »
I have used one for a couple of years when I hunt on the ground.  They are a blast.  Getting close to animals is not the problem.  Getting drawn on them is sometimes tough.  Have fun with yours!

Offline abbatoys

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2017, 07:16:00 PM »
I just got the all predator calls kill suit. Very happy with the fit and camo design.
62" Thunderstick Moab  52lb @ 28"
60" Bear Takedown 45lb @ 28"
60" Bear 59'er 45lb @ 28"

Offline Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2017, 04:20:00 PM »
Love mine...I don't always wear it but when I'm having trouble getting close to deer or when they're extra skittish on public land I break it out.  I've always had good luck with it.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2017, 04:32:00 PM »
Okay, some of these posts are inspiring me to try this out one of these days.  Turkey season is just  a few months away...
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2017, 08:06:00 PM »
They're pretty cheap and easy to make.
About 20 hours and maybe $40 for this one [/url] [/IMG]

I added the chest plate and armguard for string clearance. Needs refining but shoots well so far.

[/url] [/IMG]

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2017, 07:22:00 AM »
I like mine just fine.
SWA Spyder

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©