3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow recommendations  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Jessebeaux

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow recommendations
« on: December 26, 2016, 01:00:00 AM »
Hi everyone!

So excited to be accepted and a member of Trad Gang! I've been involved in archery all my life. However, I've just joined to Trad world. I did the common thing to do and bought a sammick sage and a light poundage and developed proper form and a love for the sport. Now it's time to upgrade... I want a reflex/Deflex design, deflex/reflex or hybrid design... (If there's any huge difference between the 3 please [email protected] share) soooo recommendations on one of these bows??
2018 Bodnik Slick Stick 60" 45#
2017 Bodnik Slick Stick 58" 45#
2009 Martin Savannah 62" 50#
2015 Samick Sage 62" 40#
1968 Bear Grizzly 56" 50#
Osage Self Bow 66" 45#
2010 PSE Mustang 60" 45#

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow recommendations
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 02:42:00 AM »
One of the best things you can do is to shoot as many bows as you come across and see what YOU like.  I am lucky in that I can go to RMSG a couple times a year and try out lots of different bows.   It is all so personal I don't know how I could give a solid recommendation, more good bows that bad ones it seems, and depending on your budget I would recommend different things.

For 300 bucks to your door a r/d longbow called the prairie predator would be hard to beat IMO, if your budget is closer to 1000 bucks then there are lots of options.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 07:15:00 AM »
You'll get lots of good advice hear but take it from someone who's bought and sold many bows. You have to try them for yourself. To many good bowyers  out there and to many models to shoot. If you can try as many as possible. Welcome to trad gang

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 07:19:00 AM »
Can find some of the best bows made in the classifieds for a lot less money and without the wait. Try one and if you don't like it put it on classifieds and get something else

Nick
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 07:37:00 AM »
Most the r/d bow limbs are somewhat similar with reputable makers. The main thing to decide on is riser style and grip. Classification of what a hybrid is, is largely up to the individual and their interpretation. D bow users often feel anything other then a D, is a hybrid,  while many feel the hybrid is a r/d longbow limb with a recurve-ish type riser and grip. Personally I see them as 3 classifications being D, r/d longbow, and hybrid.

As far as suggestions for bows, it will depend on your budget, and without some idea of that, the choices are to vast.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 09:40:00 AM »
Buckeye1977 hit a bullseye. You can buy a bow to try and resell it if it doesn't work out for the same money. But some great R/D's IMO are some of these...

Black Widow PL
Centaur
Java Man Bows
Thunderchild by Big Jim
Toelke Whip
Caribow Bows

As mentioned before a lot out there to choose from. But these will pop up in the classifieds here on a regular basis. You just gotta be ready to pull the trigger. They wont last on there for long. Enjoy,welcome,and have a good time. Great place to learn a lot of information right here.

rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 09:56:00 AM »
I don't know where in Tx you are, but you should go see Bob Sarrels at Sarrels Archery in Manchaca, Tx. He makes some great bows. His Blueridge takedown longbow is my goto bow!!!

http://www.sarrelsarchery.com/  

Oh yeah, and welcome to the Gang!

Bisch

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 09:58:00 AM »
Good advise above.
How long are you willing to wait for your new to you bow? Something you have to consider also, if your having it made.
Good luck.

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 10:59:00 AM »
Very sound advise mentioned above. For me, just starting out in traditional archery back in the early 90's, I wanted a bow that was forgiving with minimum stacking. So I took my time and looked around and shot several bows, custom made & mass made from companies such as Bear and Martin. I also had a person who has only shot traditional bows since the 50's, (my father), to coach me through my thoughts. First I to consider my draw length to give me a length of bow. `What I settled on was a Martin Hunter due to it's forgiveness and minimum stacking. I also liked Martin Archery's warranty  at the time. Since then I have owned several custom bows, Tall Tines, Bob Lee, Black Widows, etc., etc.,. Not taking anything away from the custom bowyers out there, but I always come back to my Martin Hunter. It just fits me. I own several Martin bows, Martin Hunter, Martin Scorpion, Mamba and Bob Lee & PCH Black Widow. It becomes an addiction. Just take your time and find a bow that fits you and your needs. Best of luck.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 02:12:00 PM »
I agree that grip is more important than limb style.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 03:53:00 PM »
Give Dan Toelke, Montana Bows a call before you buy.  I did and it was the best decision I've made when it comes to this sport.  His R/D Whips are great longbows and the quietest bow I've shot.  My other advice is to consider a bow in the low 40s if you're primary big game is whitetail.  I have found this to be plenty and I can shoot them for much longer sessions than something around 50.

Online Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2016, 06:25:00 PM »
Welcome aboard Jesse.  
Plenty of good advice above.  Lookin' forward to your selection updates!!

Deno
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 07:40:00 PM »
check out our website:  http://legendsbows.com/

Offline Jessebeaux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2016, 08:15:00 PM »
Wow! What great advice and welcome... I'm currently looking a few different bows... Unfortunately, in my area we don't have a great selection of traditional as rchery shops but I've managed to shoot a martin savannah (loved it), Bear Au Sable (good but liked Martin better) and a Acadian custom which was incredible! But out of my price range... So as of now I'm leaning towards Martin Savannah... Thoughts?
2015 Samick Sage 62" 40#
Osage Self Bow 66" 45#
2010 PSE Mustang 60" 45#

Offline Jessebeaux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2016, 08:16:00 PM »
Wow! What great advice and welcome... I'm currently looking a few different bows... Unfortunately, in my area we don't have a great selection of traditional as rchery shops but I've managed to shoot a martin savannah (loved it), Bear Au Sable (good but liked Martin better) and a Acadian custom which was incredible! But out of my price range... So as of now I'm leaning towards Martin Savannah... Thoughts?
2015 Samick Sage 62" 40#
Osage Self Bow 66" 45#
2010 PSE Mustang 60" 45#

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2016, 08:28:00 PM »
Mad dog bows
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline David Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2016, 10:55:00 PM »
Welcome. I'm a new member from TX as well. I've shot recurves since I started shooting traditional. I purchaced a new Centaur about two months ago. I've enjoyed it so much I had to order another one. It's hard to go wrong with one of jims bows.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2016, 09:09:00 AM »
I have shot the Martin Savannah and think it is just an excellent bow! I'm highly recommend the classifieds here for getting a great deal on a custom bow. You have to pay $30 to participate but there are some incredible deals and good people to deal with

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2016, 10:04:00 AM »
The Martin Savannah is an amazing bow and so is Martin Stealth. Both have minimum hand shock with a silky draw. You can never go wrong with a Martin. I fully understand about traditional friendly archery shops not being in your area because the closest archery shop to me is 22 miles and they aren't trad friendly. That's why I have to order all my supplies as well as bows from such places of 3 River's or other companies here on the internet. Even take a look at all the reviews on a bow that you're interested in. Best of luck.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2016, 10:10:00 AM »
I also believe the Martin Stealth is priced less then the Savannah if that helps.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©