3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: when is a yard really a yard?  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
when is a yard really a yard?
« on: December 27, 2016, 04:12:00 PM »
If in trad archery someone says that they "paced out" a particular distance to a target or kill, and that it was "35 yards" (for example), what exactly does that mean to most trad archers?

The reason that I ask is that a pace is generally not a full yard (36") but rather is usually around 30" for most people, when walking at a brisk walk.  Only an extremely tall individual would have a heel-to-heel (or toe-to-toe) stride of 36".

The reason that I'm curious is that 35 paces is only about 29 yards.  Not a huge difference, but a significant one nonetheless.

So to "pace out" 35 yards, someone would have to actually walk 42 standard paces.  I wonder if anyone actually ever does the math this way.  Or do most just "fudge" the distance estimation by using a standard pace as equal to one yard?

Another more accurate way would be to take "giant step" strides.  I'm only 5'7"; I can take a 36" pace, but ONLY when I use a maximum possible, "giant step" stride, not a normal walking one.  So when I pace out a distance, I use these "giant steps". And when I compare my "giant step" paced distance with that achieved with a tape measure, it compares almost exactly.

I've seen videos where someone says "this is so-and-so yards" to the target, and I look and say "looks a bit shorter than that to me".    :eek:  

Just curious,
Frank
- Hill Big 5 ASL, 66", 45# @ 27"
- Hill Halfbreed ASL, 66", 45# @ 27"

- Cabela's Warden 62" recurves:
-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Proverbs 16:3
"Commit your works to the Lord, and your plans will be established."

Offline SC Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: when is a yard really a yard?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 04:15:00 PM »
Frank,
I too use the "larger than normal" step method.
It comes out pretty accurately for me.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Pope & Young General Member
NRA Life Member

Offline kenneth butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 04:32:00 PM »
You do what works. I am a little taller and just take a slightly exaggerated step. I put a tape on the ground and practiced a time or two. I laid out my practice range with a tape. Now I pace it ever time I retrieve arrows. It works well enough that I can pace any distance from 10 to 40 yards and get a first arrow hit. I really like range finders for hunting though. Ranging a few spots near my max. range and wait for the game to come inside one.    Ken

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 04:39:00 PM »
Rather than adjusting my gate, I simply counted steps when walking known distances(target range).
My normal/casual gate is 11 paces for 10yds.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 04:51:00 PM »
I take longer steps also, but it still comes out that I am off a little bit. But, hey, a shot at 35 yards is so much more interesting than one at 29. Besides, everyone knows that essentially all bow shots are exaggerated. Otherwise we wouldn't be telling hunting stories.
Sam

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 04:55:00 PM »
A good idea might be to use your own steps for range estimation...If you are new to this traditional game, all you might need to know is:

Is that game/target within my comfort zone... Shooting instinctive or a gap method requires a different approach with shot distance.

You have come to the right place to pick minds... Hope the information you learn here can be put into proper practice...

Best Of Luck!
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 04:57:00 PM »
Well, for Me if i'm wanting to measure a shot distance I extend my normal pace to my counting pace.  And yes I've measured it before and I can get a full 36" stride pretty easily.

I have a backyard range set up that at one time had 36 targets and I measured out all of them with a 100' tape measure, and while doing so checked to see how accurate my pacing could be, I was on  the mark by +/- a foot or less.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 05:03:00 PM »
It really doesn't matter unless you are shooting at a marked distance shoot.  If you are guessing distance then it's what your eye sees and your mind says.  

IF it does matter to you, digital rangefinders are pretty cheap.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 05:09:00 PM »
Myself , 25 paces is 20 yards .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 05:11:00 PM »
My self bow is so fast, it just doesn't matter...
I tried stepping off the shot one time, but the darn buck took off running before I even got close...

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 05:13:00 PM »
For me it's slow full steps. They are close enough to a yard for me.  

Shooting unmarked distances the actual yardage would never matter.

Shooting marked distances and your pace count will still be very close to the posted yardage.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 05:14:00 PM »
I don't think most people who pace off yards fudge.  I think they know what their average step is and calculate the distance based on the number of steps they took.  Or else they know how to take yard long steps and take extra long steps when pacing off a distance.  Maybe.  OTOH, maybe those are the same folks who send in photos of arrows all bunched together in the target.  THOSE are the people I wonder about!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 05:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
It really doesn't matter unless you are shooting at a marked distance shoot.  If you are guessing distance then it's what your eye sees and your mind says.  

IF it does matter to you, digital rangefinders are pretty cheap.

Mike

I take a rangefinder elk hunting because Distances are longer, but find myself doing it more and more to measure distances to landmarks when stand hunting rather than spreading my scent around.  Most spot and stalk hunts for hogs I don't spend the time, because I generally know how close I need to be.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 05:16:00 PM »
There is one in my pocket as we speak.  Traditional enough for me.

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 05:25:00 PM »
In Canada you really need long legs and to take big steps because we have to pace in Meters, LOL!

(actually, after about 50 years, I'm still an inch, foot and yard man, LOL!)
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 05:40:00 PM »
Sometimes for poops and giggles during a 3-D shoot a couple of us will pace the target from the target back to the line. I'm usually right in with everyone else using the "big" step method.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2016, 05:49:00 PM »
I never worry about it. A long time ago I kinda figured out for me how to make long paces that were real close to a yard long, and when I'm trying to verify a distance that is what I use. It is not exact, but definitely close enough.

Bisch

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2016, 06:13:00 PM »
My pace is pretty close to 36 inches, every time I've paced stuff out and compared to rangefinders or
Measurements I've been spot on.

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2016, 06:41:00 PM »
We use to play a game ' Captain May i', miserable game where kids can show biased favoritism,  the captain may i giant step is over a yard, a comfortable long step is one yard.   In the woods things are are quite often further than I thought, when pacing with my most accurate captain may I stride.   In my back yard, things seem longer when they are actually shorter.   Perspectives, play games with our estimations.  'Captain May I' shoot at that deer that seems to be 30 yards away?  "No, you must take 4 giant steps backwards."    I hated that game.

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2016, 08:48:00 PM »
Working construction all my life and setting up batter boards I've got pretty close. However I have a 36" inseam and tend to take a longer than most stride.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©