3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: when is a yard really a yard?  (Read 1468 times)

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: when is a yard really a yard?
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2016, 09:04:00 PM »
Same here. Working construction all my life and practiced pacing things off and then measuring. I win quite a few bets from people who don't believe it can be done. Typically I can be within a pace of measured distance out to about 75 yards or so.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline H1tman7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2016, 10:34:00 PM »
I'm pretty talll, 6'2", and I've thought over the same question. So I checked my step distance it with the range finder... im basically dead on for a yard with a normal walking stride.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2016, 10:40:00 PM »
To me, its just a close estimate to convey to other people the distance, to give a better idea of the situation. All I worry about, is knowing my target is in range, from there I could care less about how exact I know the yardage to be. Its the last thing on my mind when I shoot.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2016, 10:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shadowhnter:
To me, its just a close estimate to convey to other people the distance, to give a better idea of the situation. All I worry about, is knowing my target is in range, from there I could care less about how exact I know the yardage to be. Its the last thing on my mind when I shoot.
Exactly how I feel about it .    :thumbsup:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2016, 11:00:00 PM »
Doesn't really matter if folks are accurate pacers because the yardage is usually inflated anyway when describing that excellent shot the pacer made on the target, critter, etc.  On top of that, the yardage increases each time the story is told. That's how five steps gets turned into a 35 yard shot, up hill, against the wind, a severe crosswind at that, between two limbs, less than a split second for the shot, etc.    :goldtooth:

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2016, 11:06:00 PM »
Yards are like cubits in the Bible.  Usually 18 inches, but depended upon the length of the man's forearm.  I think my long-step pace is close to a yard, but it really doesn't matter that much to me.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2016, 12:29:00 AM »
Building fence and other stuff like that you learn to figure out how many of your own paces works out to a yard or how to step to get pretty close, do it enough and you will figure it out.

my heel to toe is no where close to a yard but a large step gets me pretty close.  

In the end I guess it matters more if you can get an arrow to a specific distance rather than if you can count it off.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2016, 12:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by Orion:
Doesn't really matter if folks are accurate pacers because the yardage is usually inflated anyway when describing that excellent shot the pacer made on the target, critter, etc.  On top of that, the yardage increases each time the story is told. That's how five steps gets turned into a 35 yard shot, up hill, against the wind, a severe crosswind at that, between two limbs, less than a split second for the shot, etc.     :goldtooth:  
haha! You must have been listening to my friend Beau telling hunting stories.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2016, 08:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by Orion:
Doesn't really matter if folks are accurate pacers because the yardage is usually inflated anyway when describing that excellent shot the pacer made on the target, critter, etc.  On top of that, the yardage increases each time the story is told. That's how five steps gets turned into a 35 yard shot, up hill, against the wind, a severe crosswind at that, between two limbs, less than a split second for the shot, etc.       :goldtooth:    
You nailed it, Orion.....that's what I was thinking!       :biglaugh:  

Actually, it seems as though most here tend to be pretty accurate with their distance measurements.  Not that it matters much for aiming (especially for instinctive shooting), but simply for the sake of speaking truthfully.

Best wishes,
Frank
- Hill Big 5 ASL, 66", 45# @ 27"
- Hill Halfbreed ASL, 66", 45# @ 27"

- Cabela's Warden 62" recurves:
-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Proverbs 16:3
"Commit your works to the Lord, and your plans will be established."

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2016, 08:38:00 AM »
I've done this long enough that I can exaggerate my normal stride to equal a yard. Pretty accurate as others have stated. Not super important in the big scheme of things for instinctive shooters within your practiced hunting distances. I would assume more significant if you gap shoot, string walk, crawl, or use some sort of point of reference sighting mechanism. For me it's still fun to estimate ranges in all situations and see how close I am.... My wife wonders about the obsession at the zoo with yardage & shot angles.....   :saywhat:

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2016, 08:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by KAZ:
I've done this long enough that I can exaggerate my normal stride to equal a yard. Pretty accurate as others have stated. Not super important in the big scheme of things for instinctive shooters within your practiced hunting distances. I would assume more significant if you gap shoot, string walk, crawl, or use some sort of point of reference sighting mechanism. For me it's still fun to estimate ranges in all situations and see how close I am.... My wife wonders about the obsession at the zoo with yardage & shot angles.....    :saywhat:  
:biglaugh:

That's funny.  Sometimes I do the same when walking in public: "hhmmm, I wonder how far away that street sign is?".  So I do my "giant steps" and try to see how close I was with my visual estimate.

-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2016, 10:02:00 AM »
I know my pace count from my 10 years in the Marine Corps, so I know mine is accurate.  Matter of fact me and my brother had a bet one time on it.  He pulled out his range finder (compound hunter), picked a tree, he shot it as I walked it off.  He ended up buying lunch, I was spot on

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2016, 10:50:00 AM »
are you guys measuring a step or a pace? a pace is generally heel of right foot to heel of right foot.   (or toe to toe, etc)  but the same foot.  

step is opposite foot. just making sure we're talking about the same thing

I should add that my unimpeded pace is about 4 feet. and I'm 5'7"
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2016, 10:50:00 AM »
Without a tape measure everybody guesstimates.
Deno
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2016, 11:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by hickstick:
are you guys measuring a step or a pace? a pace is generally heel of right foot to heel of right foot.   (or toe to toe, etc)  but the same foot.  

step is opposite foot. just making sure we're talking about the same thing

I should add that my unimpeded pace is about 4 feet. and I'm 5'7"
Apparently there may be two definitions to the length of a standard pace.  In the U.S. at least, pace and step appear to be used interchangeably.  Here is the definition from that fount of all wisdom, Wikipedia:

"A pace is a unit of length consisting either of one normal walking step (~0.75 m), or of a double step, returning to the same foot (~1.5 m). Like other traditional measurements, paces started as informal units but have since been standardized, often with the specific length set according to a typical brisk or military marching stride.

In the US, it is an uncommon customary unit of length denoting a brisk single step and equal to 2½ feet or 30 inches (76.2 cm).[1][2]"

-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2016, 11:48:00 AM »
This thread is reminding of a few years ago , my wife and I were looking at some modular homes .
There was this two story model that had the full upstairs open .
I  went to one corner and started pacing to the opposite corner .
I wasn't half way across and my wife said " NO ! "
I said " no , what ? "
How did she know I was thinking of an indoor archery range ?    :rolleyes:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2016, 12:36:00 PM »
Good one Graps.

Deno
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Offline Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2016, 12:42:00 PM »
This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Home > Army Board Study Guide Topics > Land Navigation Map Reading > How to Use Pace Count to

How to use pace count to measure ground distance

A pace is equal to one natural step, about 30 inches long.

One way to measure ground distance is the pace count. A pace is equal to one natural step, about 30 inches long. To accurately use the pace count method, you must know how many paces it takes you to walk 100 meters. To determine this, you must walk an accurately measured course and count the number of paces you take. A pace course can be as short as 100 meters or as long as 600 meters. The pace course, regardless of length, must be on similar terrain to that you will be walking over. It does no good to walk a course on flat terrain and then try to use that pace count on hilly terrain. To determine your pace count on a 600-meter course, count the paces it takes you to walk the 600 meters, then divide the total paces by 6. The answer will give you the average paces it takes you to walk 100 meters. It is important that each person who navigates while dismounted knows his pace count.

(1) There are many methods to keep track of the distance traveled when using the pace count. Some of these methods are: put a pebble in your pocket every time you have walked 100 meters according to your pace count; tie knots in a string; or put marks in a notebook. Do not try to remember the count; always use one of these methods or design your own method.

(2) Certain conditions affect your pace count in the field, and you must allow for them by making adjustments.

(a) Slopes. Your pace lengthens on a downslope and shortens on an upgrade. Keeping this in mind, if it normally takes you 120 paces to walk 100 meters, your pace count may increase to 130 or more when walking up a slope.

(b) Winds. A head wind shortens the pace and a tail wind increases it.

(c) Surfaces. Sand, gravel, mud, snow, and similar surface materials tend to shorten the pace.

(d) Elements. Falling snow, rain, or ice cause the pace to be reduced in length.

(e) Clothing. Excess clothing and boots with poor traction affect the pace length.

(f) Visibility. Poor visibility, such as in fog, rain, or darkness, will shorten your pace.
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2016, 12:59:00 PM »
this is the way I learned:
  pace calculation
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2016, 01:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Graps:
This thread is reminding of a few years ago , my wife and I were looking at some modular homes .
There was this two story model that had the full upstairs open .
I  went to one corner and started pacing to the opposite corner .
I wasn't half way across and my wife said " NO ! "
I said " no , what ? "
How did she know I was thinking of an indoor archery range ?     :rolleyes:  
:clapper:

-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Users currently browsing this topic: