3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cabela's Warden 40# and 50#  (Read 753 times)

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
Cabela's Warden 40# and 50#
« on: December 29, 2016, 11:09:00 AM »
Hello all:

I just started in traditional archery this past June.  I wanted to get a bow that would be adequate for me to use for learning, but without breaking the bank.

Here are some photos of my first bows.  I acquired the 40# with my Cabela's "points".  Price would have been $139 (before tax), if I remember correctly:

I don't know if this is considered a medium or high wrist riser.  But I do find it to be comfortable, as well as having to ability to grip up at the web of my hand or with the heel firmly planted.  I shoot the latter method.

I find that brace height on this and my other bow is critical to keep the bow quiet.  The range is supposed to be 7.5" to 8.25".  But if I let it drop below 8.0", it quickly gets loud.  At 8.0" and above it is quiet, and I have no need to use any silencers.

I'm using a 3Rivers B50, 14 strand, endless loop string.

A modification which I made shortly after purchase was to replace the stock rest/plate (which was of poor quality).  I replaced it with a Bear hair rest and plate, which look much better and have held up very well.

Only a short time after acquiring the 40#, Cabela's had a sale on the Warden model.  I was therefore able to buy the 50# version for $119:

The addition of the red and black stripes to the riser of the 50# readily sets it apart from the 40#.  I also like the looks of the riser wood choices and laminations on this bow.

I use a 3Rivers B50, 16 strand endless loop on this bow.  And I also replaced the rest and plate, the same as I did with the 40# (they were even poorer quality on this one).

Interestingly, the riser grip is slightly slimmer on this 50# than it is on the 40#.  Also, the limb tips are WAY narrower (side-to-side) on this 50#, versus the 40#.

I went to the Cabela's store to check out other Warden 50# bows there.  Every one had a different tip width from each other!  So I guess that there is a lot of "hand work" being done to produce these.

Best wishes,
Frank
- Hill Big 5 ASL, 66", 45# @ 27"
- Hill Halfbreed ASL, 66", 45# @ 27"

- Cabela's Warden 62" recurves:
-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Proverbs 16:3
"Commit your works to the Lord, and your plans will be established."

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cabela's Warden 40# and 50#
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 11:17:00 AM »
I should have added that these are both 62" bows.

-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 11:34:00 AM »
I also should mention that I did find a couple of issues with the 50# model:

--- the upper string nock had a rough edge, which was causing the upper serving to fray.  I was able to fix that with just a little filing and shaping.

--- the back and belly riser wood (walnut? dark shedua?) is composed of dozens of extremely fine laminations, maybe only 1/32" wide, which run front to back.

A few days after buying this (ordered online), I noticed some areas that looked  like very fine splits in these laminations on the back and belly.  
I brought the bow to the nearest Cabela's where I was going to exchange it.  But I found that the other 50# ones which they had there had either similar defects, or had other cosmetic issues with the risers which looked worse than mine.  So I stayed with the original 50#.  I now believe that these are just minor glue voids which cause no problem and have not gotten worse.

All in all, for the price I can't complain.  They are certainly much better bows than I am an archer.

With this being said, I will hopefully be ready to place an order with HH Archery for a Wesley Special TD, within the next several weeks.  I'm looking forward to that event!

Best wishes,
Frank

-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Offline breazyears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 11:50:00 AM »
I would leave the 50# on the shelf, that's way to much for a new archer. It doesn't matter if your 300 pounds of solid muscle, or 90 pounds. its all about form. a lighter bow is much better for "perfecting"...if their is such a thing, your form.
 Im sure the bow is fine, looks like a sage, and probably preforms on the same level.
Keep shooting, and HAVE FUN.
theirs a fly in my soup

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 02:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by breazyears:
I would leave the 50# on the shelf, that's way to much for a new archer. It doesn't matter if your 300 pounds of solid muscle, or 90 pounds. its all about form. a lighter bow is much better for "perfecting"...if their is such a thing, your form.
 Im sure the bow is fine, looks like a sage, and probably preforms on the same level.
Keep shooting, and HAVE FUN.
Yes, you are correct.

I use the 50, but more for building strength, hold time at draw (using Larry Yien's technique), etc.  Then when I switch back to the 40 lb, it feels so easy, and I can reconfirm my form.

Best wishes,
Frank

-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 02:59:00 PM »
Before you order that new bow I'd hit the Kentucky Tradfest in April down in Harrodsburg.  Great shoot with some of the best folks around.  Also welcone to run down to Georgetown and shoot whatever I might have around at the time.  I've been accused of having enough "stuff" around to open a trad bow shop.

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 03:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biathlonman:
Before you order that new bow I'd hit the Kentucky Tradfest in April down in Harrodsburg.  Great shoot with some of the best folks around.  Also welcone to run down to Georgetown and shoot whatever I might have around at the time.  I've been accused of having enough "stuff" around to open a trad bow shop.
X2 on the TradFest! And Brad isn't kidding about the "stuff"...he has just about anything!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 04:48:00 PM »
Nice looking bows...  Not sure I could get past the name tho.   Nothing bad, but....telling  my wife "I'm going hunting with the Warden again", if my friends overhear me I might get yelled at.

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 09:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
Nice looking bows...  Not sure I could get past the name tho.   Nothing bad, but....telling  my wife "I'm going hunting with the Warden again", if my friends overhear me I might get yelled at.
:goldtooth:  

I know!!!   I'm tempted to peel them off.   Maybe I will someday!

-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 09:32:00 PM »
Thank you for the kind invite to Georgetown, Biathlon!  I may take you up on that someday.  If I were smart I'd probably try a Hill first, wouldn't I?

Unfortunately, I've got Hill fever bug right now.  I read a lot of material about Mr. Hill when I first started in trad, and then had the opportunity to visit Craig's shop when I had to go on a business trip to Hamilton, MT.  Didn't shoot any bows there, but had a chance to try out some different grips, look at their bows,  see the shop, and pick up an autographed copy of Craig's book.  So I'm hooked right now.

Best wishes,
Frank

-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 02:54:00 AM »
A Hill bow is certainly an "acquired taste".

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »
A Hill bow is certainly an "acquired taste".
Do you now, or have you in the past, owned any Hill's, Brad?  And if so, what do you think of them?

It seems that most either love them or hate them.

My shooting style is developing with elements which should be conducive to shooting Hill style bows (bow  elbow bent rearward, shoulder pointing at target, full fingered grip rather than just upper fingers, etc.).  So hopefully I'll be ready.

If you have any Hill's, or you know someone up here in NKY who does, it would be nice to be able to give one a try.

Best wishes,
Frank

-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 06:44:00 PM »
Since you are just really getting started in traditional shooting, I would recommend that you stick with one bow style (and one bow for that matter) until you develop good form. Generally I think you will find recurves a bit easier to start with--and I am basically a longbow guy.   :D
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 10:34:00 PM »
I also recommend Ky Tradfest meeting even if you have bought several by then, great meet. And while there you can shoot with some like myself that only shoot like we're new to trad even though we been doing it for many years!
Stumpshooting; Slinging sticks with sticks toward the origin of the sticks.

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 08:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by Carpdaddy:
I also recommend Ky Tradfest meeting even if you have bought several by then, great meet. And while there you can shoot with some like myself that only shoot like we're new to trad even though we been doing it for many years!
:archer:

Sounds tempting.  What are the dates?

-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2016, 01:33:00 PM »
April 7-9.  I've had a couple Hill bows, have hated every one.  Different strokes I guess.

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 01:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by David Mitchell:
Since you are just really getting started in traditional shooting, I would recommend that you stick with one bow style (and one bow for that matter) until you develop good form. Generally I think you will find recurves a bit easier to start with--and I am basically a longbow guy.    :D  
I'm over 60, and therefore don't want to spend too long experimenting.  If a Hill type longbow works for me, I may just sell my recurves (or give them to my young grandson who also shoots, when he gets older).  So I'd like to try one sooner rather than later.

I also have no problem committing to whatever I end up with, even if it takes some time to get proficient with it.  I took up the violin when I was 53, and found it to be extremely difficult.  But by God's grace I stuck with it.  I'm still not very good at it, but I know I must be progressing, since I occasionally get compliments, and since I no longer want to crush and burn my fiddles (an impulse which would come over me frequently while trying to learn for the first several years!).     :D

Best wishes,
Frank

-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Offline Roadsnakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 04:16:00 PM »
Hows the Warden been treating you?

I know Cabela`s doesn`t make a bow. It`s made for them by a well known bow maker. Most likely out of Korea or China.

Could come out of the same factory as Samick. I don`t know.

This past Christmas Cabela`s had The Warden for $89.00bucks!

I already have 3 bows that I like, but if that deal is ever offered again, I`M IN!

Offline Lunar-Tic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 05:39:00 PM »
I just bought a 40# model for my 2 boys who are 11 &12 and just needed a legal huntn weight bow to get started. I own several bows 5 of which are customs and I was surprisingly very impressed with the way this bow shot. I would definately recommend this bow for someone just gettn started.

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 06:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Lunar-Tic:
I just bought a 40# model for my 2 boys who are 11 &12 and just needed a legal huntn weight bow to get started. I own several bows 5 of which are customs and I was surprisingly very impressed with the way this bow shot. I would definately recommend this bow for someone just gettn started.
:thumbsup:

-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©