3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Headed to AZ!  (Read 884 times)

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
Headed to AZ!
« on: December 29, 2016, 08:37:00 PM »
Driving from Atlanta. Leaving at about 3 am. 3 trad boys and a quail dog. We gonna chase javis and mearns for about five days. This is my second time going to 34 a. Hope to come back with three peccarry and 15 limits of mearns!

Offline highcountry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Headed to AZ!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 09:24:00 PM »
Oh that sounds fun. I hope to head south too for a few days. Warm, upper 60's down there. Lots of snow up here. Kids got new bows and really want to shoot down in the desert.  Hope you have a good time.  Trad Gangers need some pictures when you get back.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 09:51:00 PM »
good luck!!!!
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 10:13:00 PM »
Those are beautiful birds! You should post a picture of one for us to see

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 10:24:00 PM »
Javis are fun to hunt. Best of luck. I hunted with 7th age years ago and missed a couple.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 10:05:00 AM »
Have fun if you coming out I10 I'd buy y'all a cup of coffee. Be safe
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 10:26:00 AM »
Best of luck to you Sean. That sounds like all kinds of fun!

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 10:42:00 AM »
Sounds like a fun time!

Good luck,

Bisch

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 11:27:00 AM »
Good luck    :campfire:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 04:07:00 PM »
Get em.

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 05:46:00 PM »
Good luck, have fun and do post some javi pic kills as well.
Never wait too long!

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 05:56:00 PM »
I used to hunt the area by San manual down the river road.   Good luck
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 07:56:00 PM »
It was a pretty pretty pretty good time. Mike pflander was a super cool guy to shoot the stuff with and talk shop as well. Ill get some words in when we finally get home. This ice storm has really hindered us.

Online Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 08:14:00 PM »
Safe trip

Deno
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 10:18:00 PM »
Sounds like a blast!  Arizona may be one of the most beautiful states in the continental US!

Good luck and bring back some pics!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 01:45:00 AM »
Good luck

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 10:10:00 AM »
We ended up finding some javi groups in a place I knew from my last trip out there. On the second day I found a group of ridges they were working. I had also found about 12 coues deer and two were good bucks. That seemed to peak mike's interest so on the third morning, he went up the ridge before us (javis dont get up early right?).  As it turned out, he walked right up on a javi herd and killed a nice boar before we even left the truck. Lol

On the way out he bumped another group of javis and the three of us went after them. We couldnt relocate them with glass so we were descending back to camp to try again in ghe afternoon when we bumped into another group. They were running off so we dropped our packs and I started calling. One of them came running right back in to about 12 yards. My buddy Joe was standing right next to me and I told him to take the shot. He hit the boar low and back from their tiny kill zone and we began following some tough blood.....

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 10:24:00 AM »
:campfire:

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2017, 01:48:00 PM »
While following specs of blood, we spotted a javelina get up from a brushy creek draw and lay back down, we immediately thought that it looked larger than the one Joe had shot and I should try a stalk. Joe stood on the other rim of the draw and guided me to it. I crept along on solid rock up to the top of the wall and couldnt for the life of me spot him. I turned back to Joe for guidance and he pointed straight ahead. It was then that I bent down to look underneath the juniper in front of me and spotted him bedded at six yards. I tried to thread an arrow through the thick juniper but was rejected and it dove into the ground just in front of him.

Scrambling, I nocked another arrow and landed this one in the neck as he was moving at this point. He headed deeper into the brush and I sent another arrow as he bailed into the snarl. I thought this one hit perfectly.

He was emitting some growling/coughing sounds every few minutes so we decided to back out thinking we had two javelina wounded and wanted to give them some time

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 02:51:00 PM »
We met up with Michael back in camp and he offered to come up with us to track. I had them stand on the other side of the gulch and watch for me and I went in from the lower side. He stood up as soon as I entered the thicket and started walking away down towards the bottom. I shot again and hit him mid body quartering away and he dove downhill. He stopped in the water at the bottom and they yelled to me that he was basically dead on his feet. I came from behind him and shot him two more times behind the shoulder before he finally quit moving.

I have never seen an animal take that type of abuse. I would have thought for sure that my first shot quartering forward into his neck would have passed through there and into his vitals. I shoot a 57lb bow with 610 grains of arrow and a razor sharp vpa three blade.

After the ruckus finally ended, we trailed from Joe's initial shot and found that it was indeed the same javelina. So it was a team effort after all.

We found javelina the next day as well and my buddy Bunyan made a perfect stalk and got a shot as well but could not end up filling another tag. They really are something else to hunt with a bow. And they do smell just like a skunk.

Anyway, great trip. And with my buddy's gsp, we were able to find about a covey per hour on mearns quail. Absolutely amazing trip. We had some drama driving home in the ice storm but we all made it safe in the end. I cant wait to go back. Thanks again for your generosity Mike and congrats on your boar. We will meet up again for sure someday.

If someone wants to drop me a cell number, Ill send some pictures to post but Im too comp illiterate to figure that out. Thanks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©