3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: R E T H I N K I N G S U C C E S S 2017  (Read 1557 times)

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
R E T H I N K I N G S U C C E S S 2017
« on: December 31, 2016, 11:45:00 AM »
Happy New Year to all !

I seldom post anymore.  Mostly because there is such talent here.  My contributions can only be minor.

As a lifetime member of Traditional Archers of Oregon, I have shouldered a somewhat new responsibility of editing the Scroll, our twice yearly publication.

Ed Putnam penned this article and I believe its worth sharing with our larger traditional archery family. Please let me know what you think about Ed's writing.  

If you would like to receive the last issue of our little Scroll, please post your email address here.  It's free.  I won't use or share your address other than to send you the PDF file.

Bob McMahan

Rethinking Success
by Ed Putnam

The email looked like an infomercial. It claimed that by following an elk hunting “formula” I could increase my success rate by 4X. So I clicked on the attached survey and answered some questions about how I hunt, how many elk I’ve killed, that sort of thing. Nowhere in the survey did it offer a definition of “success,” or ask what being a successful hunter meant to me.
   So I asked the question: What do you mean by “success?” If, for example, a gun hunter shoots a bull at 700 yards, is he more successful than a bowhunter who stalks to within 20 yards only to have a swirling wind send the elk running for the next drainage? And which hunter would you rather be? Personally, I’d rather be the latter.
   I don’t hunt with a traditional bow because I want to increase my success rate. I do it because I want to increase my level of hunting satisfaction. At the end of the season it matters less whether I got an elk or not. The only question that really matters is, did I hunt well?
   Increasingly though, the standard of success is measured only by the size and quantity of elk a hunter kills. As long as it’s legal, all other factors seem to be of little or no consequence.
   Last hunting season I ran into three hunters. They were packing two bulls out of the backcountry. All of them carried compound bows. They were all very intrigued with my longbow, and wanted to know more about how I hunted and wondered whether I was unnecessarily handicapping myself. Not unnecessarily, I assured them. “I’ve been wanting to switch to a traditional bow,” one of them admitted, “I just need to kill three more elk first.”
   The need to make a kill versus the desire to experience a more fulfilling hunt is the compound archers quandary. They’ve chosen a weapon that intentionally limits their reach and makes the hunt more challenging. However, at the same time they continue to value technological advances that make the weapons shoot further, so that they can increase their success rate.
   Focusing on success obscures the bigger picture of our relationship to the environment, and our responsibility to the resource. ODFW tries to strike a balance between maintaining management objectives for wildlife, and providing hunters with opportunities. Rising success rates place a burden on the agency’s ability to maintain management objectives without cutting tag numbers, or imposing some other restrictions that limit hunter opportunity. In other words, failure is built into the system. In order to maintain healthy populations of elk most of us have to fail to fill our tags.
   And that’s fine by me, because failure doesn’t detract from the joy of the hunt. Rather it elevates it to a higher plane, making each animal harvested all the more precious. The real value of the hunt comes from the challenges it offers, and its ability to connect me to my hunter/gatherer origins. Failure provides an opportunity to practice skills that can’t be honed with artificial substitutes. Thinking less about what I can take out of the woods allows me to concentrate more on what I can give back.
   So if there really is a formula for filling your freezer, my advice is, be careful. You might be trying to solve a problem that doesn’t really exist.
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: R E T H I N K I N G S U C C E S S 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 11:48:00 AM »
Bob...good to see you here...I edited your title cause titles wont accept bold letters and it mucks up your title.

Take care....    :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 12:00:00 PM »
Very good read! Almost always, if I can't shoot it with my longbow, I'm OK going home with no kill. There is sooooooooo much more to the whole thing other than the kill.

A lot of folks think "If I had a gun, I could have gotten that one!". I think "How can I make this work differently next time I'm out here with my longbow?".

Bisch

Offline Amberjack

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 12:07:00 PM »
Excellent.  Well said!

Jack
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
"Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me" Gen 27:3
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->>>

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 03:11:00 PM »
Great read and thank you for sharing this with the TG community! I'll admit I've been there with the ,"what-if's", especially if near the end of season and unsuccessful. I do however, reflect on the experiences of the hunt and often times realize that I was successful in my own respect and by not compromising what I value while hunting. I'm with Bisch, and I'm sure several others here, with the "how can I make this work better or differently next time".

I'd also love to see the, "little scroll". My email is below

[email protected]

Thanks again for sharing.
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 03:23:00 PM »
Good read
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 03:26:00 PM »
Great read,.....thanks for sharing.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 03:27:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:   Well reasoned piece and right on.

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 03:36:00 PM »
Very good read!

Thanks
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 03:36:00 PM »
Thank you for sharing that.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 03:51:00 PM »
Thanks for putting that out there for the rest of us. Very well stated and I'd share a camp with Ed anytime.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 04:12:00 PM »
i like the compound archers paradox analogy. it really is an oxymoron isn't it?

thanks and happy new year!

:campfire:
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Online Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 05:03:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Bob.  Great article

Deno
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 06:28:00 PM »
Nice read!  I enjoyed it.

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
Enjoyed the read.
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2016, 08:24:00 PM »
Good Read and a very good point.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 08:31:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  I like the thinking......to many have the "Gotta get one syndrome".
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2016, 08:44:00 PM »
Enjoyed that, a lot of the reason that I hunt with trad gear is to allow for more hunting opportunity, by limiting my shooting opportunities. I have a self imposed limit of 3 deer in a year as that is all that we will eat.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2017, 12:54:00 AM »
I agree with all that was said. However, some will always measure success only by the kill tally.
Sam

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2017, 08:22:00 PM »
Nice    :clapper:
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©