3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big Jim is going to Finland!!  (Read 1334 times)

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big Jim is going to Finland!!
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2017, 12:43:00 PM »
What an awesome opportunity and responsibility!  Congratulation Big Jim!  What a neat experience.  I wish you well.
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline Parallax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2017, 12:49:00 PM »
If you find yourself in Helsinki, try to make it to a place called Varusteleka. LOTS of great stuff for hunters there!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2017, 12:53:00 PM »
Some possible points... yes, we can normally not compete for distance and accuracy with a rifle or even a compound bow, therefore, traditional archery is, by necessity and by choice, a very close range game.  In its own realm, it shines as a very good weapon.

I have listened to folks in Scandinavia speak of "cruelty" when we discussed archery hunting, obviously not knowing much about how an arrow kills and how a sharp arrow in most places does not hurt like a bullet will.  They may not have experience, also, with the fact that it takes precious seconds for an arrow to work, when it does its job well.

Bringing these points forth, as well as maybe anecdotal evidence of people getting shot or falling upon their arrow stating the same... it doesn't hurt.

Good luck.

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2017, 01:19:00 PM »
Congratulations Jim!  That is truly an honor, with a great amount of responsibility placed as a representative of our way of life!
Thanks,
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline riivioristo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2017, 01:33:00 PM »
Hi

What a surprise to bump to this thread - and welcome to Finland  :)

I can not speak behalf of those who have invited you, but some points about situation in Finland.

Hunting here is guite different - Roedeer is currently biggest game we can harvest with bow and arrow - Whitetail deer is near to add to list too.

Our legistalation allows to use all the gadgets you can imagine when hunting - here you hunt moose allways with a group of hunters, you drive to your hunting grounds, loose a dog - you install a GPS unit to a dog, which is trained to search up a moose - then you see from your smartphone where the moose is ( dogs GPS unit sends information to hunters phones ) , then people are spread to places ahead of the moose ( lots and lots logginroads here, so people use cars to get their places )Then just wait and kill the moose ( scope rifle and silencer - .308 caliber is guite used ) - if the animal is  one you are allowed to take ( adult or calf )After kill pull it to road and take it to a place to butcher. Of course there is some variations, but that is guite common way to do it.

So you see sportmanship and fair chaise has no role here ( well, ofcourse legistlation folks adrees, that this way is wery good  :)  )

Just writing this, that effective ( and easy ) way is in the top of the list of things concerning mindset here...tradition and walues to give chance to game not so much...

Back in the 90`s when I began to hunt with stick and string ( Martin Hathfield - 55# ) - smallgame of course - those looks fellow hunters gave to me...are yuo going to hunt with that???

Nowdays bowhunting and bowhunters are esablished very well, but compound is more highly praised - that effectivness here again - more power they say - longer range, they say and more easy to learn to shoot.

If you come here to speak for traditional bowhunting, then perhaps you should prepare  to shoot some arrows to show how its done ( Byron Ferguson  has been here in several occasions to shoot his bow, so you can just go from there  :)  )

Perhaps some videoclips too?
You lost your money-you lost nothing, you lost your health-you lost something, you lost your personality-you lost everything...

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2017, 02:00:00 PM »
Way to go, Big Jim!
Why not drop by Norway on the way. Some people here might need some real talking to, as well.
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2017, 02:08:00 PM »
Jim, first off congrats! I'm sure you will be a wonderful ambassador for us!

Second thing, if it were legal to hunt a few species you mentioned in Finland, I would be inclined to move that up my list over South America and maybe even New Zeeland. I think there are a few of us who would strongly prefer to pursue animals within their home range instead of where they are feral.

Last thought, instead of arguing the distance and energy of our tackle, it might be good to focus on what we consider a "trophy" and how well that plays into utilizing us as a herd management tool.  

Just a few thoughts, good luck!!!!
Thom

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2017, 02:43:00 PM »
Jim, you need to see about a Nokia boot  distributor while your there.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline TxSportsman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2017, 03:15:00 PM »
Congratulations BigJim
Sunset Hill - "Four Count"

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2017, 03:43:00 PM »
Congratulations BigJim. They sure have selected the right guy who is very compassionate about traditional archery and hunting.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2017, 04:18:00 PM »
I'm afraid I will have little time for much this first trip. They asked me if I was available in March and I said I was open between the 6th and the 16th...I have events in Florida and Georgia the weekends of the 4th and the 18th.
The following day, I received a message that they booked the banquet hall for the 11th.

16 hr flight over 9 hr time difference and of course the flight home and back to work....oh oh, I have already found a wood supplier that has something special for me over their    :bigsmyl:  I just can't help it. I have to say, I started searching for some special wood to bring home before the trip was even certain.

BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2017, 04:31:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2017, 11:02:00 PM »
I'll pray that God gives you wisdom so that your words can better influence the powers at be to make the best decisions possible on how to manage His creation.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2017, 02:25:00 AM »
This is incredible Jim! Best of luck and I hope our brothers overseas will be able to enjoy bowhunting as we do here. I'm wondering what are the reasons for the lack of bow hunting opportunity in Europe?
I would assume the biggest talking points would be:
1:The general safety of Archery for accident free hunting
2: The sportsmanship and increased tag availability, hunting opportunity, and $$$ of tag revenue

Defense to be made would obviously be the humane death that a well placed arrow provides

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2017, 01:07:00 PM »
My little experience with Finns is they freak out at idle chit-chat, makes them very uncomfortable. Don't expect to start up a conversation with strangers. Its like an entire country of introverts. This is what I've been told from a Finnish friend.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2017, 02:04:00 PM »
I'm sure you will represent us well and make a big influence on their decision.  I would think possibly a highlight compilation of some of the videos done by the Wensels, Mike Mitten, South Cox Cox...etc.  They really do a great job of capturing what traditional archery, fair chase, and responsible wildlife management is all about. Something that shows how lethal an arrow really is when when a true hunter is willing to forego marginal shots and use skill and woodsmanship to get within traditional bow range.  Perhaps you could ask Kevin Dill for permission to use his 2016 Alaska moose hunt thread as support - doesn't get much better than that.  Its still on the front page of PowWow, 21 pages long.
Sounds like it could be an uphill climb if the Fins are as much into rifles, and gadgets as stated above.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Online Jim Brennen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2017, 05:35:00 PM »
Congratulations Jim,they picked one of the best for the job,best of luck to you.
62" toelke whip 55#@28" 56" thunderchild 49#@28 54" shrew classic hunter 50#@28

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2017, 06:38:00 PM »
Best of luck Jim.  I know you will be a great ambassador for the activity of bowhunting.  I hope your trip is well received for all our sakes as bowhunters.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2017, 07:20:00 PM »
Awesome experience, beautiful trip, and the opportunity to educate and show another point of view to people with a rich hunting heritage.

Congratulation to Big Jim, who in my opinion is a wonderful asset to the traditional bow hunting community.

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline warden415

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2017, 07:58:00 PM »
Awesome. Congrats on a great honor!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement