3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Between Heaven & Hell: Alaska 2015  (Read 3454 times)

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
Between Heaven & Hell: Alaska 2015
« on: January 01, 2017, 10:07:00 AM »
In 2015 I found myself needing some serious adventure along with a change of pace and scenery. What happened and what follows isn't your typical hunting story. I did this story for PBS well over a year ago, so consider this a reprise with a few minor edits. I'll get it going today, and hopefully you'll enjoy it. KD

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Between Heaven & Hell: Alaska 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 10:15:00 AM »
Looking forward to this!     :coffee:

Bernie

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 10:23:00 AM »
Thank you Sir !

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 10:27:00 AM »
:coffee:
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 10:32:00 AM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 10:33:00 AM »
Excited!!   :campfire:
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Matabele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 10:34:00 AM »
Awesome! Looking forward to this one Kevin

Offline shoes

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 11:02:00 AM »
Awesome! Thanks Kevin.
Dreams are made taller than we are.  Never stop reaching!
WTA member

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 11:03:00 AM »
:campfire:     :coffee:
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 12:10:00 PM »
I'm in.......   :campfire:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowitis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 12:13:00 PM »
:clapper:
JD Berry Taipan
2 Heartland Surge

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 01:09:00 PM »
I'll preface this by telling you I wasn't planning to do a story about my 2015 trip to Alaska. I've had about 2 dozen emails and messages asking me about what happened...so here's the accounting. I'm not going to gloss it up or make it prettier than it was in reality. I'm also not much of a writer and I often find it hard to pull out the correct words needed to convey what's happening. My writing grammar probably needs work, but I write it the way I'd tell it. It's a story and it isn't perfect. It's pretty long, so up-front apology on that. It might take me a while to get it done...lots of images and such...so feel free to comment or question along the way. The time-frame is August, but the story really starts much earlier...back in late winter when I decided to challenge myself somehow. You can get a clue from the picture.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 01:10:00 PM »
I normally go for moose in September, but after much consideration I decided it was time for a new adventure. I wasn't exactly sure what that might be, but it seemed like a great opportunity to experience something unique and memorable. I spent much of last winter contemplating options and talking to people about ideas. I spoke to the pilot who usually flies me in for moose and told him of my thoughts. We had several rounds of conversation and I finally decided to go after caribou. He gave me plenty of data regarding locations and opportunities...enough that I felt completely confident I would see plenty of game and have my chances. I'm not a guy who usually worries much about getting right into animals, but it's nice to have the feeling you'll be seeing them. Head on straight...I'm going for it.

I initially considered a partner for this hunt but opted away from that fairly quickly. I really felt the need to do something unfamiliar and to challenge myself in ways not done before this hunt. I began to understand that I wanted to go alone and experience the Alaskan wilderness with only myself to rely on. I was concerned about Marilyn's feelings, and decided there was no way I would do this without her complete approval. We talked about it at length and explored every concern or question. I liked her final answer.

“You've spent your whole life hunting and fishing. You have more skills than most guys who go there. You've always been focused on staying safe, and I know that is how you think. I will worry some, but it helps to know you'll be in touch. I think you should go do it.”

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 01:12:00 PM »
:campfire:     :clapper:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 01:12:00 PM »
So you'd logically think the next step is to plan the hunt, right? Correct....but I haven't told you about the other simultaneous plan we'd been hatching. Marilyn was champing at the bit to go see Alaska and we had a complete do-it-ourselves trip planned. The details of that trip are way too many and too involved to relate here, but priority number one was our trip. The lesser priority was my hunt. In the process we decided to pull a two week tour of Alaska totally on our own (not cruise folks by a mile) and see as much as we could. After that, she would fly home....I would stay another 12 days, hunting for 9 days on my own. That's a big bite right there...gone for most of a month and covering a lot of miles. Don't even ask me about the logistics and gear, between our vacation and the hunt. You wouldn't believe the planning this required to make it all work.

The day we flew out Columbus (Ohio) was a combo of excitement, relief and finality. A long summer of planning was over. There was nothing left to do now but execute all the plans.

The team:

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2017, 01:23:00 PM »
Our two weeks in Alaska was spectacular. Anchorage, Soldotna, Homer, Katchemak Bay, Iliamna, Redoubt, Kenai, Chugach, Seward, Whittier, Prince William Sound, Valdez, Richardson Hwy, Thompson Pass, Wrangells, Tok, Glenallen, Delta Junction, Fairbanks, Chena Hot Springs, Nenana, Healy, Denali, Talkeetna....and that is only a partial list of the places and names we visited. We were even in some tiny little burg named Moose Pass one day. (They sell some weird food there.) We burned miles and memories like nobody has ever done. Cabins, hotels, lodges, eateries, shops, harbors, glaciers, mountains, wildlife...all there to consume. I've done a lot of hunting and travel over the years, but this trip was definitely a major milestone. I don't need to recommend it...you already know you want to go.

Productive halibut day on the Homer Spit.

Bull moose in fireweed. Photography by excited wife.

The big volcano...Iliamna or Redoubt.

Salmon pooled up below Russian River Falls. Big grizz area.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2017, 01:27:00 PM »
Lilypad Lake on a 32 degree morning...Kenai Peninsula.

On the 3.5 mile trail at Russian River in the Kenai region.

Sneaky Bou

Seward Harbor. You had to be there to appreciate it....trust me.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2017, 01:33:00 PM »
Every day and every mile is a brand new adventure in Alaska. We made the most of it.

Flying through a high glaciated amphitheater.

On Pika Glacier not far from Denali. If you've never done anything like this, I can't adequately describe the feeling it gives. This is special stuff.

Turbine Otter on the glacier. Our landing defied the odds.

A favorite image of mine.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2017, 01:34:00 PM »
Well, your stories more than make up for any "not much of a writer" issue you think you have. I don't agree and I bet we'll all be following along pretty wrapt.
Just the thing for the start of a new year and a long winter. Thanks for taking the time to share.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2017, 02:00:00 PM »
Your doing fine so far......   :thumbsup:   Alaska is a magical place.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©