3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Let's talk canoes  (Read 2297 times)

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
Let's talk canoes
« on: January 01, 2017, 05:47:00 PM »
I've never hunted out of a canoe before, but something about the idea has always fascinated me.  I think, maybe that it's the idea that when you can't get somewhere by vehicle, or even just by walking, it makes it seem more like a true wilderness, even if it's not really that far from civilization.  Anyway, I haven't ever hunted any areas that lend themselves well to canoe access, but I'm hoping to change that in the next couple years.  In the event that that happens, I'll need a canoe.  

I know there are lots of canoe manufacturers, but I'll probably try to keep it under $1000 for my first one.  That seems to limit me to Old Town for the most part.  Since I'd likely be alone on most of my trips, I'd also like to keep the size and weight down.  Below are the basic specs for the three best options I see.

Old Town Next
Length:  13'
Width:  29"
Weight:  59#
Price:  $999

Old Town Discovery 119
Length:  11' 9"
Width:  32.5"
Weight:  49#
Price:  $699

Old Town Discovery 133
Length:  13' 3"
Width:  40.5"
Weight:  78#
Price:  $999

For reference, I'm 6'1" and around 235# and would be carrying enough gear for maybe a two night camping trip total.  And hopefully have to bring a deer out occasionally.  So, based on you guys' experience, what would you recommend?  I'd love to hear from guys with experience with these models specifically, but also any other insights about canoes and hunting.  I'd also like to see pictures of your setups as well.  I'm sure you guys have come up with some good modifications over the years to make things more comfortable.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Let's talk canoes
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 05:56:00 PM »
Golden Hawk canoes are made for just this. I use mine for bowhunting all the time and love it.

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 06:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Paul Shirek:
Golden Hawk canoes are made for just this. I use mine for bowhunting all the time and love it.
Never heard of those before, but I just looked them up.  Wow.  Those are about the coolest looking canoes I've ever seen.  After looking at them, I was surprised to see that they were actually in the price range I mentioned.  They look like they'd be a lot more expensive.
Matt Toms

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 06:08:00 PM »
I've fished flowing rivers for smallmouth bass a lot out of a OT 119. I have a river-rat buddy who helped me modify my canoe to an outstanding fishing platform. A few modifications and I could even stand up to fish in it. The 119 handles well in current and has a small enough footprint to make paddling upriver (as long as the current is not too fast)with a double-bladed Mohawk paddle doable without killing yourself. However, if youre planning on lots of camping gear and also hauling a deer out, I think you should possibly rule out a 119. Just not enough storage space.

Mark 1:17

Offline swampcrawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 06:10:00 PM »
Another louisiana guy here. I'm interested to see suggestions here. I have hunted squirrel from a canoe with a .22 rifle before, which was fun. I've been planning to get a small job boat with one of the little 7HP lawn mower motor powered mud motors just to be able to get back into the swamps a bit farther before hoofing it.

EDIT: just googled my way over to the Golden Hawk canoe web page. Dude. Yes. I need. 13 ft with a 750 lb capacity (always an issue as I weigh 350 by my lonesome). Plus they look incredible.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 07:06:00 PM »
That Golden Hawk doesn't look like it would track worth a hoot.  Way to wide.  JMO
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 07:10:00 PM »
Not to muddy the waters but take a look at Radisson.  I'm 6'3" and 240. I love mine. I can stand up and shoot my bow from it. Very stable.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 07:23:00 PM »
You and two nights camping gear and possibly a deer.....16' minimum.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 07:27:00 PM »
I'd go a bit bigger (room for the deer) but you know your needs.  My biggest suggestion would be to find one lightly used in Royalex(or even Kevlar if you don't go on white water)I've been in mourning ever since they quit making the stuff, but they can still be found and the dead of winter is the time to buy.  I scored a 17' Royalex Wenonah Aurora that was like new for $700 a couple years ago.  It was essentially brand new and had always been stored out of direct sunlight. Nothing wrong with polypropylene (plastic), but it weighs a ton.  When you get old and decrepit you'll thank me!  Check Craigslist.  People are thinking of paying Christmas bills now...you might find the woman scorned more than happy to unload her ex's stuff at a discount.  It will be months before watercraft sellers will expect a premium again.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 07:37:00 PM »
Never paddled a Radisson but heard  good things about them.  Made in Canada aren't they.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 08:45:00 PM »
I have an 16 foot'Old town camper royelex (sic) bought many years ago paddled many rivers and bayous in Louisiana not sure how far Saline is from Ville Platte but if you want to try it out we can go to Chicot park or my camp on my pond to see if 16' works for you.I don't think they still make my model but will be close to the size and looks you may want.Kip

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 09:53:00 PM »
As much as I like the short canoes I would probably go with something 14 to 16 feet unless, you can go with ultralight camping gear like used by backpackers and you can legally bone out the meat to bring it back. If you lack the lightweight gear or have to bring out the whole carcass in your state then 14 to 16 feet will be a must. I've done day floats for deer and squirrel in a 13'r with a companion and it was not something I want to do again in a short canoe. With added weight longer will be better IMHO.
Member NCBA

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 09:54:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I was afraid I'd be told to get a bigger one.  I knew a longer canoe would have its advantages, but I knew the 14-16 foot models in the $1000 price range are heavy.  I figured going smaller would be the best way to keep the weight down without the cost of lighter weight materials.  I'd prefer to have the weight down around 50# or less to make it easier to handle alone.  

I've used longer canoes before, but don't have much experience with the shorter ones.  That's the main reason for my post.  The Radisson looks like it might be another good option.  Their 16' model is only 58# and isn't too much over the $1000 price tag.  

I'll definitely check out the used market if I get ready to buy one, but I've looked before and there aren't many canoes around N La.  I've looked before and there might be one or two at any given time on Craigslist down here.  Looking in more northern states, there may be a couple dozen used ones for sale at any given time.
Matt Toms

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 09:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kip:
I have an 16 foot'Old town camper royelex (sic) bought many years ago paddled many rivers and bayous in Louisiana not sure how far Saline is from Ville Platte but if you want to try it out we can go to Chicot park or my camp on my pond to see if 16' works for you.I don't think they still make my model but will be close to the size and looks you may want.Kip
Thanks for the offer, but I'm in N La. probably 2-3 hours drive.  I've used longer canoes before and was mainly looking for opinions on the shorter ones.
Matt Toms

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 10:56:00 PM »
I bought the Next model used from a guy who floated the entire Mississippi river from the trail head of the river all the way to the Gulf of Mexico in New Orleans   :eek:    :readit:

This was his canoe

IMG_0905  

I've used it once or twice so far and really like it. I got it over the 119 due to it being a bit longer and able to hold enough gear for a day hunt or two.

I like you wanted something on the light side and not to big.

You can read about Mike's adventure down the mighty Mississippi river by goggling "Lost with Mike" and it will pull up his blog.. You will see that for over 2 months he lived in this canoe.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2017, 11:03:00 PM »
Bought a used 4x6 utility trailer and added a longer tongue to it to use to haul the canoe and limit having to load over my head (getting older).

IMG_0995
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2017, 11:11:00 PM »
It has been a long time since I spent much time in a canoe, but I never liked a really short boat, especially if you have considerable weight to carry. Will you have a companion? Is there any rough water in your area? If so, that brings up a lot of other considerations. I preferred 14 to 16' in length and a flat bottom when carrying gear. One word of advice - be very cautious about standing up in a canoe and trying to shoot your bow. It is easy to tip one over when standing.
Sam

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2017, 06:18:00 AM »
They are made in Canada. Mine has oars which is great if you have current in the river you are drifting. Steers very easy. You can also backwater straight with them to reverse direction.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2017, 09:46:00 AM »
If you want 2c from a guy who also dreams of canoe hunting but also doesn't own one here it is:

Consider building a SOF canoe. That's Skin on Frame. Basically a wooden frame (cedar or fir or pine or W/E really) with a ballistic nylon skin that's stretched over the frame, sewn tight, and then coated in a waterproof finish such as paints or polyurethane. They're lighter than basically anything out there save maybe Kevlar. They're very inexpensive to build, and they are supposed to be relatively fast and simple to build.

Second, find a buddy to go along with you. Then it makes sense to take a much larger canoe like 18'. That will have huge capacity, track very well, move fast and easily through the water even when loaded. Also, with a long canoe that tracks well, it's not hard for one man to paddle it from the back ... start practicing your canoe strokes ....

A longer boat is going to be so much nicer to paddle especially when loaded down. Plus with the extra capacity you could consider a small trolling motor, a decent battery or two and a little solar panel to charge it. Now you've got a rig that can cover serious distance.

Just some thoughts,

Cheers

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2017, 10:10:00 AM »
I have done a fair amount of solo canoeing, waterfowl hunting and flyfishing-most of the time in a 17' Grumman aluminum.  When solo, it's best to be on your knees-lowers the center of gravity making the canoe more stable-sitting just behind the bow seat facing the stern-this puts you nearer the center of the canoe making it sit more level in the water-instead of the end sticking up in the air (nearly impossible to control in the wind).  When waterfowl hunting, I was jump shooting and had a 100 pound retriever that I taught to lie down on the bottom and not leave until I gave her the command (I usually beached the canoe for her to retrieve). I have also shot a 68" longbow from my canoe.  Rise up on your knees, cant the bow, and shoot.  Also, always have at least one spare paddle-if you drop your paddle overboard, without a spare-you are literally "up the creek without a paddle".
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©