3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Let's talk canoes  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Let's talk canoes
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2017, 10:21:00 AM »
toms:  If you're just going to float downstream, you can probably get away with a shorter canoe, but generally the shorter "sport" canoes are wide and don't track worth a darn so aren't much good if you actually want to paddle somewhere.  You'll get there, but it will be a lot of work.  And, if you manage to find a narrow, less than 30 inches wide, short boat, 12 feet or so, it won't be very stable.  

I agree that something in the 14-16-foot range would be more versatile, and not a heck of a lot heavier.  I think a perfect solo (hunting, camping, paddling) boat is about 15 feet long and 31-32 inches wide with a fair amount of rocker.  Look around for something used.  Folks are changing their set ups all the time.  Can find some very nice used boats reasonably priced.  Good luck.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2017, 11:05:00 AM »
16' Penobscot OT - seriously by the time you get you and hear and possible deer - 16 wont seem so big. Another thing is don't expect to be able to maneuver in the canoe!! Lol after spending time in yaks you realize canoes are meant to go one direction - downstream - battleship can turn tighter than that canoe. I love the canoe though it is fun when wife and daughter tag along.

I run a 16 Penobscot and a 14.5 ultimate by native watercraft. I am a camping minimalist and can go with the kayak. Have yet to kill while out of the kayak?? But like other times I will butcher them in the field so no worries.

You might check out the native watercraft ultimate?? You can get a solo basic for 8/9? They can haul ALOT and may suit you better than a full blown canoe? Just a thought.

Don't know how to do the image thing or I'd show you what I do.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2017, 11:07:00 AM »
South MS, that is a cool rig!
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2017, 11:32:00 AM »

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2017, 11:34:00 AM »

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2017, 11:36:00 AM »
That's me in the little 12' canvas canoe next to the 26' North Canoe

Be sure and keep those bow tips on the outside of the canoe when shooting

A real Birchbark canoe is the ultimate canoe experience.

Offline RiverRat5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2017, 11:42:00 AM »
I bought a sportspal square back 13 footer almost a decade ago. It's very stable, I have used it for hunting, fishing and even bowfishing. I can stand up in it and shoot my bow easily. We use it mostly for running traplines on the river these days, and you know you have to haul a lot of gear to do that. It's worth looking into. Although that golden hawk mentioned above perks my interest as well.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2017, 11:47:00 AM »
It will amaze you how much you can pack in a canoe.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2017, 11:47:00 AM »
Another thing about the NEXT canoe is it is an hybrid, a cross between a Kayak and canoe.

So in theory to provide you the paddelbility (new word   :readit: )  of a Kayak and the carrying capacity of a canoe.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2017, 01:54:00 PM »
I have a Native Craft kayak, which is basically half kayak half canoe. Mine is a tandem 16' long. The seats can come out and be used on land.  I have been wanting to do a trip in the Adirondacks for a bow hunt. I will pull the front seat and pack like I was going to back pack. I'll take a small cooler and would still have room to pack a deer out if I got lucky. Well made and thought out boats and mine has a tiller that you control with your feet.......tracks great.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2017, 01:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
It will amaze you how much you can pack in a canoe.

Thanks for sharing.  Those are some cool pictures.  What size is this one that's loaded down so much, and what size was the first one you posted in the snow?  Just curious so I can visualize a little better how much room they have.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2017, 02:48:00 PM »
Two coolers?  That is a base camp situation.  I would look long and hard for a used kevlar at least 16 feet long.  Something that would be in the Souris River Quetico or Mad River Explorer design, or a Wenonah Spirit if you want to go a little faster.   My Mad River Explorer with a longer kayak paddle has become my solo canoe.

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2017, 04:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
Two coolers?  That is a base camp situation.  I would look long and hard for a used kevlar at least 16 feet long.  Something that would be in the Souris River Quetico or Mad River Explorer design, or a Wenonah Spirit if you want to go a little faster.   My Mad River Explorer with a longer kayak paddle has become my solo canoe.
Just curious where you got two coolers from?  Don't think I said anything about that in my OP.  My two night setup would be a small cooler, a small tent, and one duffle bag.  From pictures I've seen of canoes loaded down when searching around online, I think I could do it with a 13', even with a deer added on top, but I wouldn't have any room to spare.  Add a pop up blind or a small climber and I think I'd need something bigger.
Matt Toms

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2017, 04:05:00 PM »
I've never done a hunting trip from a canoe but I used to guide canoe trips on a local river & lake during grad school -- most fun I've ever had working for somebody else.  We typically ran 16' Old Town Discovery canoes for the trips but also had the Guide model -- which had less rocker and a flatter profile.  While not as good for faster sections, the Guide model was great for beginners because it was more stable.  In each of these, I've managed just fine by myself or with 1-2 other beginners with me + large ice chest.  The river I ran was mostly just class 1-2 with a couple of 2+ or 3- sections -- nothing too technical.  Lots of weight made things tough, for sure.  But it was still doable.

Mad River Canoes were the next best thing and were even preferred by some of the other people I met on the river.  The organization I was working for said they would have gone with Mad River instead of Old Town but Mad River only had wicker seats and, for insurance reasons, they had to do plastic-molded seats.  So Old Town got the business.

Personally, I wouldn't get too hung up on the length if it's just you in the boat.  Even at 235 lb + gear & a deer, you can make it work just fine.  Worst-case scenario, you'll have to wade through the shallow parts a bit more if your boat is too small.  If you decide to head out for anything much bigger than a deer (say elk, moose, bear, etc.) then the added capacity may benefit you a lot more.  But toting 500+ lb of canoe weight will be tough, no matter how long that canoe is.

Of course, if you hunt with a buddy or like to pack a full ice chest, 2-burner camp stove, etc. then go bigger.  So much is going to depend on the river you're floating.  Slow or fast?  Is it a pretty technical river or pretty straight?  Do you know the river well -- each of it's turns, bends & hidden obstacles?  How is your skill overall?  Match the boat with your use and skill as best you can but, in my opinion, there are far more significant variables in-play than an extra foot or two of length.

My wife and I just picked up some tandem kayaks that I'd like to use for hunting one of these days.  Kayaks are much more maneuverable, faster and can easily carry all the gear & deer I'll ever get.  Plus, they're much easier for a single person to carry.  Granted, I can keep my packs fairly light.  Any reason why you're looking at a canoe instead of a kayak?
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2017, 07:56:00 PM »
My current 16 foot aluminum costs $25 as it was slightly torqued  Son and I jacked in back into shape.  Easy for me at my age to puy it on my truck by myself.  J stroke rules for single person propulsion. I had one of my canoes registered and used a small electric motor when trapping.  To stabilize for two hunters, lash a pole across center thwart, and then lash an intertube to each end to the pole.  Both can stand to shoot, but will slow it down and wear you out paddling.  Thirty years ago I did the boundary waters, eating fish and rice and learned to have survival gear in waterproof bags.  Do not neglect this aspect of canoeing, even for day trips in colder weather.  CANOES are another way of spelling FUN
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2017, 08:17:00 PM »
Nice pictures Ron. I myself had a Radisson flat back a few years ago and should have kept it. Very light,well made canoe. I am using a Jackson Kayak now and really like it a lot. Not as much storage as a canoe. But it tracks better,and paddles upstream way easier as well. It is also very stable. Just something to consider. But getting to untapped areas with a canoe or kayak is always a great idea.

rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2017, 09:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by YosemiteSam:
  Any reason why you're looking at a canoe instead of a kayak?
I figured there would be more room in a canoe for gear.  I actually have a 14' Heritage Angler kayak I bought for my son to fish out of earlier this year. It would work fine for day trips, but it'd be tricky getting a deer strapped on and balanced.  It's not a high end kayak, so it's not extremely stable if you put much of a load on it.
Matt Toms

Online bswear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2017, 03:45:00 PM »
I have two Old town Pack canoes which is the same really as the 119.  Why two? Because they are awesome and  most  likely they will not be be made at some point in the future as all awesome products are prone to.  Oh I forgot, they are royalex (which is no longer made) so my theory proves correct again!

You can get a lot of gear in for such a small boat.  I have several larger canoes and the packs see the most water time by 4 to 1.

Online bswear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2017, 03:48:00 PM »
I think the Packs weigh 32 lbs if you can find one.

Online bswear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2017, 03:53:00 PM »
I have two Old town Pack canoes which is the same really as the 119.  Why two? Because they are awesome and  most  likely they will not be be made at some point in the future as all awesome products are prone to.  Oh I forgot, they are royalex (which is no longer made) so my theory proves correct again!

You can get a lot of gear in for such a small boat.  I have several larger canoes and the packs see the most water time by 4 to 1.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©