3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Let's talk canoes  (Read 2296 times)

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Let's talk canoes
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2017, 04:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by bswear:
I have two Old town Pack canoes which is the same really as the 119.  Why two? Because they are awesome and  most  likely they will not be be made at some point in the future as all awesome products are prone to.  Oh I forgot, they are royalex (which is no longer made) so my theory proves correct again!

You can get a lot of gear in for such a small boat.  I have several larger canoes and the packs see the most water time by 4 to 1.
I've seen those before, but didn't realize they were that light.  Just curious, how much gear do you mean when you say a lot?  And how about hauling a dear along with the gear?  If nothing else, I could get something similar for day hunts and a longer one for longer hunts.

Thanks
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2017, 04:44:00 PM »
The two coolers are in Ron's pic.   Which I think is a 16.5' royalex, with the  pulled gunnels, perhaps an early Bell?   I have noticed that people from the south gravitate to shorter wider canoes and people up north gravitate to longer canoes.   I would stay away from those big wide Coleman plastic job.  They are super heavy and you need to pack a team of mules to portage them.

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2017, 06:30:00 PM »
Consider you're talking about a canoe to use hunting. Hunting seasons are in cooler or cold weather usually. No time to go into the drink with water at temperatures that will onset hypothermia quickly. That's why I would suggest a very stable design. Someone mentioned a Native Ultimate, and I can attest they are a super-stable platform. The "pontoon" hull design makes them extremely stable and the hybrid design allows for an "open" boat with high sides like a canoe. The Native comes in a shorter version and a longer 14' boat, which would be excellent for hauling a lot of gear. I would seriously consider one for hunting purposes, and that's coming from a guy who paddles a 119 canoe a lot in the past years.
Mark 1:17

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2017, 06:44:00 PM »
I posted this elsewhere but it's apropos to this discussion. Two kayak fatalities last week, one in VA Beach (Navy Seal) and the other in MD (66 year old male). No details if they had dry suits but they both had PFDs but died of hypothermia. Your canoe and kayak are warmer weather boats and can be killers in cold water.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthread.php?15820-Two-kayakers-perished-this-week-RIP
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2017, 07:59:00 PM »
"I think the Packs weigh 32 lbs if you can find one."  

My wife's long lost Swearingen cousin might have a spare that he could sell (gift) to me!

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2017, 08:17:00 AM »
I don't remember if you stated how the big the water and how far you were going.   You may be surprised to find that canoes can be addictive and maybe you should be prepared to have room for more than one.   I had six in my garage for a while.  You may be surprised also, that perfect conditions for paddling do not come as often as we would like.  

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2017, 08:34:00 AM »

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2017, 08:35:00 AM »
There are monster under there

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2017, 08:36:00 AM »
This moose died in a pond that was only 40 yards wide and 60 yards long.  

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2017, 08:37:00 AM »
There may even be boogey bunnies out there.

Offline Greg_M

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2017, 10:22:00 AM »
pavan wrote: "canoes can be addictive"

Agreed. Good times to be had, hunting or not.

Cheers,

Online bswear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2017, 10:29:00 AM »
Steve H,

That's funny!

I think you would be fine with camping gear and a nice buck in that 119 or a pack paddling in still water.  Rapids and nasty water maybe not.  I can duck hunt with a large golden retriever and decoys, spare clothes, etc., no problem.  Hopefully your buck will sit more still than my 110 lb dog!

Online bswear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2017, 10:31:00 AM »
Be advised Black Widows don't float!  Don' ask how I know this tidbit.

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2017, 11:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by bswear:
Be advised Black Widows don't float!  Don' ask how I know this tidbit.
This is the second time my Palmer Longbow goes swimming!
I was paddling a creek and it snagged on a limb, out it went.

I have a 14' Pirogue a friend made for me from the pattern of my old one. It's a tad heavier but very solid.

The new one on saw horses

The old one loaded with pack, stand and bow.

Be surprised what these things can haul....
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2017, 02:40:00 PM »

You could always try it this way, if you have a week or two.  :)
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2017, 03:10:00 PM »
Nice looking stripper.  You run that on the Upper Iowa?  Watch out on the Turkey in low water, that shale can be a bit sharp.  Conditions were never good on the Skunk.

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2017, 09:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by BAK:

You could always try it this way, if you have a week or two.   :)  
That's beautiful.  Building a wooden boat is actually one of the things on my bucket list.  I was thinking a small runabout and hadn't really thought about doing a canoe.  Might need to give that a try.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2017, 03:13:00 PM »
I have a Guide 119 and love it. I took the seat out that came with it and use a turkey hunting seat instead. RC

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2017, 07:46:00 AM »
Good comment on how big the water is for your trips. Big water needs a big boat.
I have a 15', 35" wide wood and canvas canoe, the first one I bought in 1975. I sold it as many  boaters are always looking for something... else. Went through a few "poly" boats, found the buyer of my first and got it back.
Some maintenance involved, but that little canoe has it all for me, plus the added benefit of the beautiful interior you're looking at as you paddle along. Doesn't seem important until you've experienced the "others".
A 35-36" beam will give good stability and longer length means the boat floats higher in the water, ie easier to paddle. Depends on how far your trips will be. The used craft is a good idea as many boaters are looking for something...else.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2017, 09:46:00 AM »
You have to assess where you're going to be paddling, what weather you're likely to be paddling in, what gear you want to take, etc. There is no such thing as a one-size fits all hunting canoe. I have 2 canoes and 2 kayaks, as long as 18 feet and as short as 11, all different designs and materials and none of them are right for some situations that I might want a boat for. All canoes can float downstream with a gentle current, but can you stay dry in big / fast moving rivers or even creeks with drops over ledges, etc? A longer boat is far superior for paddling in flat water, i.e. swamps and lakes, but do you need more maneuverability ? Long, narrow  boats are fast and a joy to paddle  but they turn slow and don't bend around trees. Likewise, are you a skilled enough paddler to keep a longer boat upright if the weather picks up and you've got to deal with crosswinds, waves coming over the gunnels? Will you ever need to paddle upstream against a current? Will you ever need to portage your boat single-handed over rough terrain? Are you going to car top or use a light trailer?

When you narrow down your list of possibilities, look up the local dealers in your area and see if they have demo boats or events for folks to try out boats, as that will give you some idea how they will handle.

Finally, take a look at   https://wingmanoutfitter.com/product/canoe-cooler-outrigger/.   Two coolers and camp table do double-duty as a platform and outrigger to stabilize your boat..best invention ever for canoe camping if you're not on a tight, winding stream.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©