3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Let's talk canoes  (Read 2298 times)

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Let's talk canoes
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2017, 10:13:00 AM »
www.sandypointboatworks.com

Check out this website if you're interested in building your own.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2017, 02:08:00 PM »
I copied this post by a fella named Al Agnew on River smallmouth fishing site. I found it so helpful I saved it to my phone. Maybe others here will benefit. If you've seen Bass Pro catalogs, you've probably seen Al's wildlife art.

Al Agnew Canoe Advice

From
 http://forums.ozarkanglers.com/topic/21373-looking-to-buy-a-canoe/

Choosing the "perfect" canoe for you is never easy because no one design is the best answer for everybody. Everything is a compromise. At the same time, there are many canoes that will serve the purpose fairly well. I've spent a LOT of time paddling and fishing Ozark rivers, and have paddled a lot of different canoes. Here are my thoughts on various widely available canoes:

Old Town Royalex Penobscot 16

My personal favorite tandem canoe by far. Royalex is the best material for a fishing canoe because it is durable, quiet, slick (slides over logs and rocks without sticking), comfortable in weather extremes, and reasonably light in weight. The Penobscot is the fastest, best-tracking Royalex canoe on the market. Canoe designs are always compromises between tracking/speed and maneuverability, and the Penobscot leans a bit toward tracking at the expense of maneuvering, but on all but the small, narrow, twisty creeks, I don't think you need extreme maneuverability, and I want to be able to paddle easily through long, dead pools--and sometimes I need to paddle the last couple of miles of a float in a hurry or get there after dark! Plus, the same characteristics that make a canoe track well and slip through the water easily also make it easier to slow or stop the canoe in current in order to fish.

The Penobscot, being a narrow canoe for its length with a slightly rounded bottom, will feel tippy to those not used to it. It is not a canoe that you can stand up and fish in. But the straight, relatively high sides make it resistant to actually flipping. And the narrowness makes it easier to paddle solo from a position near the center of the canoe. In most tandems, as long as the seats and thwart placement allow it, you can solo by turning the canoe around and paddling from what was the front seat, but that still requires adding weight to the "front" of the canoe to trim it as level as possible. I much prefer to paddle from a position near the center of the canoe. If a canoe is too wide, you can't paddle efficiently from the center position.

There is also a 17 ft. Penobscot. It's heavier, but it paddles just as well and holds more gear (and heavier paddlers).

Old Town Camper

16 feet, 59 pounds, Royalex. It's a wider, slower canoe than the Penobscot, and has higher ends, which makes the wind affect it more. Not as good for soloing from the center, but a very good canoe that leans a little more toward maneuverability. There is also a 15 ft. Camper, but I'd recommend the longer version. In a tandem canoe, 16 or 17 feet is usually better for two reasons. One, a shorter canoe makes hooking some portion of your partner's anatomy while casting a little more likely. Two, longer canoes offer more options for stowing extra fishing rods.

Wenonah Spirit II

17 feet, 69 pounds in Royalex. It's a big, wide canoe that paddles very well and a great compromise between speed and maneuverability. Not as good for solo use, but certainly doable. Holds plenty of gear and is a nice craft to fish from, having pretty good stability both initial and final.

Mohawk Nova 16

16 feet, 65 pounds in Royalex. The Royalite is cheaper and lighter but not nearly as durable. A sweet-paddling canoe that tracks well and is pretty fast, but maneuvers fairly well also. Wide but solos pretty well. Mohawks are a little cheaper than some of the other Royalex canoes.

Old Town Discovery 158 and 169

These are the poly plastic Old Towns, 16 and 17 foot versions. The 16 (158) weighs in at 80 pounds, the 169 at 85. They are what I'd call vanilla designs that do everything okay and nothing really well, but are good fishing craft. The poly material has all the advantages of Royalex except that it's heavier. If you use a lot of difficult accesses or you're cartopping and can't handle heavy weights, the greater weight will be a definite drawback. But they are cheaper than Royalex canoes.

Old Town Osprey

A short 14 foot, very wide, 57 pound Royalex canoe. You may find short canoes to be easier to paddle solo, and if you do a lot of smaller creeks the short canoe can be helpful in getting through narrow, brushy riffles. I've already mentioned the drawbacks to short canoes. But this one is one you can stand in to fish if you have decent balance. Pretty much requires soloing from the front seat turned backwards.

More on other models tomorrow...
More canoe possibilities...

Wenonah Fisherman and Kingfisher

Two wide "angler" canoes. The Fisherman is somewhat comparable to the OT Osprey, 14 feet and 59 pounds in Royalex. The Kingfisher is 16 feet and 68 pounds. The biggest problem with these canoes is that they are too wide to paddle easily from a center position solo, and they are asymmetrical, so they don't work very well turning them around and paddling from the front seat.

Wenonah Heron and Aurora

Two "downsized" Spirit IIs. The Heron is 15 feet and 58 pounds, moderate width, flattish bottom, marketed as a canoe for the casual paddler. It would be an okay design for angling. The Aurora is 16 feet and 67 pounds. Of the two, I think I'd prefer the Aurora. Like other Wenonah models, they are asymmetrical.

Mad River Explorer 16 foot

72 pounds. It's a nice design that would paddle well and track well. The only thing I have against Mad River canoes is the shallow V bottom. The problem I see with it is that the apex of the V will catch most of the wear you get dragging over shallow riffles. With shallow arch bottom canoes, the wear is spread around a little more. Also, in recent years Mad River's reputation for well-built, durable canoes has suffered a bit. Take that for what it's worth.

Some comments on the other canoes that have been mentioned here...

Two Brothers Arkoda

16 feet, 72 pounds. Two Brothers has gone for sturdiness, and it shows in the greater weight of their Royalex canoes. Other than the weight, the only question I have with the Arkoda is that it has a lot of rocker. I haven't paddled one, but I would suspect that with four inches of rocker it would maneuver extremely well and track rather poorly. I can see this as a great canoe for some of the smaller Arkansas streams with sharper drops and rock gardens, but not as good a design for the larger Missouri rivers.

The Brightwater, at a little over 14 feet, would be a pretty low volume canoe for serious tandem use, it would seem to me.

Buffalo 16 foot

Like Two Brothers, Buffalo uses a heavier Royalex and goes for sturdiness. The 16 footer has less rocker than the Arkoda, but has very high ends that are real wind catchers. That would be my only real quibble with the design.

Coleman Scanoe

I was unable to find the weight of this barge, but I've helped lift and load it a number of times and it isn't a one man job. If your style of float fishing is putting in on larger streams at developed accesses and not floating more than 5 or 6 miles a day, taking your sweet time...or if you're planning on using a trolling motor, it's the canoe type craft for you. But I wouldn't want to have to solo one, and I wouldn't want to paddle it very far for very long. It simply isn't a real good all purpose craft. And the plastic that Coleman and Pelican uses is heavy, flimsy (hence the need for internal aluminum braces--otherwise the hull would flex all over the place), and very difficult to repair. But lots of anglers use Scanoes and like them just fine. And the price is right.

A mention for aluminum canoes...aluminum is still the most durable material...an aluminum canoe will probably outlive you unless you wrap it around a rock or drop it off the vehicle at 70 mph. Aluminum canoes are very vanilla designs that do nothing really well, and aluminum is noisy and very sticky and will burn you or freeze you. But a whole lot of people have used aluminum canoes all their lives with no real complaints.

So on the whole, you have to answer for yourself how much money you want to spend, how important initial stability is to you, whether you will use the canoe more tandem or solo, what kind of streams you'll most often use it on, how much weight you want to lift, how you'll transport it, and probably a bunch of other questions, all of which will have a bearing on which canoe will fit you best.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2017, 02:13:00 PM »
Last I had heard they stopped making Royalex. Not true?
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2017, 02:29:00 PM »
You are correct Bruce I have a 16' camper very good boat but lots of dents on my royalex just cosmetic.Kip

Offline Tradesmen4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2017, 02:49:00 PM »
I have a  old town 119 and I must be a moose in a china closet. It isn't very stable for fly fishing. After the 1st time I headed for the shop and made me stabilizer for the rear. Now I can fish out of it. Wish I could bowfish out of it, but it don't work. Greg
greg ketchum

Offline Tradesmen4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2017, 02:50:00 PM »
I have a  old town 119 and I must be a moose in a china closet. It isn't very stable for fly fishing. After the 1st time I headed for the shop and made me stabilizer for the rear. Now I can fish out of it. Wish I could bowfish out of it, but it don't work. Greg
greg ketchum

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2017, 03:10:00 PM »
Royalex is dead but there are used ones on the market. If you aren't going to run it in rocky rivers Kevlar is an option to cut down on the weight however it is very pricey.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online bswear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2017, 07:37:00 PM »
119 is a little "fresh".  But it takes quite a lot to put one completely over while seated. Kneeling  is nearly impossible unless you hit a branch or rock.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2017, 08:55:00 PM »
The high siting seat that comes in the 119 is too high. If you get a bit lower the stability really picks up. I love the 119 because it paddles so good up stream and has a fair amount of room for a solo canoe. RC

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2017, 11:18:00 AM »
I lowered the seat 4" in my 16' Penobscot back when I first got it. It just seems wobbly to me but then I wasn't and probably still not canoe savvy as most. When I dropped the seats though it was a WORLD of difference far as stability goes.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2017, 12:31:00 PM »
Anyone paddling a 119 that's using it for a fishing/hunting platform and not necessarily running fast water  should seriously consider some modifications. A good friend of mine who has more experience in fishing from a canoe than most all, gave me some tips to modify my 119 to make it much more stable than in the stock configuration. 1st, the stock seat is horrible and its position puts the boat out of balance for a fishing platform. Good for running fast water, not so good for a stable fishing platform. The seat needs moved forward. Measure and mark dead-center of the boat. I trashed the original seat and bought a good Sitbacker. I then sanded and polyurethaned a good 3/4" oak board and installed where the front edge of the board is at dead-center of the boat. The seat straps to the board. This puts your torso just behind center and your legs/feet out in front of center, leveling the boat in the water. The front will no longer ride up, acting like a sail in the wind and will not spin as fast. But before you install the seat board or even cut it to length, you need to remove stock thwarts. Take 3 width measurements before removing the thwarts, 2 at each thwart and one at dead-center of the canoe. No, the boat wont fold up like a billfold when you remove the stock thwarts! Get in the boat at dead center and with your arms push out on the gunnels. The gunnels will indeed flex out some further than what the stock thwarts hold it at. It helps to have a buddy here to be ready to take a measurement. Push on the gunnels until you see the floor of the canoe flatten out some, and it will. And once you feel good resistance and the floor flattens some, take a measurement from under the gunnel to the other side, dead center. Need a buddy to do this. Once you have a measurement, cut a 2x4 or something that length and get back in and push out the gunnels and insert the 2x4 under the gunnels, holding the sides at the width you spread it. Now measure at the 2 thwart spots and at dead-center. Cut your seat board and cut two new thwarts at the longer lengths. Best of my memory my new thwarts had to be 1.75" longer than the stock ones. I'd have to go back and check to make sure but that sounds about right. Now your weight is centered in the boat, the canoe footprint has flattened out and produced a much more stable contour. You will be amazed at how much more stable the boat feels in the water. It now tracks good and don't spin at each passing breeze of the wind. Mine was stable enough for me to stand up and cast a fly rod out of. I also rigged a thru-the-hull anchor system directly out the center back using a drag chain that I can use never moving from my seat. I can slow the boat even in current or with enough rope out, come to a complete stop. I rigged keepers on my thwarts to secure anything that I needed to, to the boat, as I paddle through some rapids occasionally. Somewhere I have a file of photo's and such that I took while doing these mods and would be glad to share them if anyone is interested. I let a buddy who owns a Pack try my 119 and he was so amazed at how stable it was compared to his stock Pack that he went home and began the mods to his Pack.
Mark 1:17

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2017, 03:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by RC:
I have a Guide 119 and love it. I took the seat out that came with it and use a turkey hunting seat instead. RC
So RC, you just sit in the bottom of the canoe like you would against a tree turkey hunting?
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2017, 07:53:00 PM »
Yes indeed. Its one of those lounge type seats that fold up. If I`m only going a short distance I don`t use a seat at all. I use my 119 for a short trip across the Altamaha River on public land. I can paddle 5 minutes and it saves a mile and half walk. Plus its just plain cool..RC

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2017, 08:00:00 PM »

A doe this year. RC

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2017, 08:03:00 PM »
I found this pic of the old seat thats fixed in that came on the boat verse the one from my Wifes Kayak. I bought a Turkey hunting seat that is a little higher than the yak seat and its more comfortable. RC

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2017, 08:04:00 PM »
The seat on the right will cause you to go swimming. RC

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2017, 08:06:00 PM »
A fine boat for the midday fishing trip when its hot and late evening is the best time for hunting. RC

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2017, 08:48:00 PM »

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2017, 08:51:00 PM »
I've spent many hours researching SOF canoes in the last few days (because of this discussion).  I think I might just have to build myself one.  Kudzu and David Gentry are the two dudes that sell plans from what I have found out.  If I bought plans right now I would probably get a 16' Gentry.

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2017, 08:53:00 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©