3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow sock patterns  (Read 291 times)

Offline MarthaK

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow sock patterns
« on: October 29, 2007, 10:36:00 AM »
Does anyone have a pattern or directions for making bowsocks they could share?  I've been unable to find one online.
Thanks so much in advance.
Faithful servant to the Dino Wrangler.

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow sock patterns
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 11:31:00 AM »
MarthaK,

I used some "polar fleece" material, cut it about 7.5" wide, and about 6" longer than my bow (use the extra length as a fold over flap to hold the bow in)

Hemmed up all edges to prevent runs and fraying, then folded the material in half and double seamed all edges and the bottom and top. This makes a totally enclosed bag. Took a razor knife and carefully cut through ONE side of the bag, about six inches from one end, and then crudely hemmed this cut by hand stitching (I am a horrid seamster) to prevent runs and fraying.

The sox opening could be cut and hemmed before the material is folded over itself for a better appearance.

If I make another, I will double up the material at both ends, to provide more protection for the limb tips.

Hope this helps. Oh, the measurements above are for a longbow. For a recurve, you would probably need at least 10" wide material.

Offline MarthaK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 09:46:00 AM »
Thanks so much R.W.  I think I picked up enough material to make a practice run.
Faithful servant to the Dino Wrangler.

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »
If you can run a sewing a machine half decent, your bow sock will certainly look better than mine!

My skills with the machine are PUMP!

Best of luck with your project, and your bow hunting!   :campfire:

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
Martha, you could just make a really long drawstring bag, and fold it over at the top. Tie the drawstrings around the bow. The one I have for my K-mag is so long that the tie goes around the grip portion. This works out great, 'cause the big loop that the excess bag makes is handy for hanging it off the side of my overburdoned bow rack.

Killdeer  :goldtooth:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©