3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lubricating your limb bolts?  (Read 890 times)

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
Lubricating your limb bolts?
« on: January 06, 2017, 10:29:00 AM »
I've had a three piece takedown PSE sable for about 15 years now and have probably taken it down five times if that. So I've never really thought much about the limb bolts until I just recently took it apart. Do you guys lube them at all or just use them dry? If you do lube them what do you use? String wax? WD-40? Something else? Thanks!

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
Re: Lubricating your limb bolts?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 10:45:00 AM »
Yes, I rub the threads with string wax (not a lot) and work it in with my fingers. Then run it into the bow threads and just wipe off any excess wax. I like it much better this way.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 10:47:00 AM »
I never have.  I do, however, take my bow apart and dry it thoroughly if it has gotten wet in rain.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 10:51:00 AM »
I leave mine dry, assuming that the friction of the dry metal will hold the connection together better than a lubricated connection would.  If I were in a wet climate and had rust problems, I might feel differently about it.  I had an experience recently with a lug nut on my trailer where it didn't seem to be going on very well so I gave it a shot of WD-40.  When I tightened it with my torque wrench, it kept turning on past the point where the other lug nuts were fully tightened, and I thought $hit, it's stripped.  But about a quarter turn later, the torque wrench finally clicked, which means, I guess, that the WD-40 caused it to engage further than the other dry lug nuts.  I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but I suspect the dry lug nuts (and limb bolts) give a more secure fit.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 11:00:00 AM »
I use a small amount of silicone oil I swiped from my son years ago. It is for lubing linkage in cars. I put a small amount on bolt threads and use my fingers to work it in. To much lube can draw dirt which might cause issues. As for WD-40, a great product but not for longevity IMO in wet climates.

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 11:42:00 AM »
i put string wax on mine
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 01:44:00 PM »
Howard Hill Archery recommends and uses a light coat of toilet bowl wax on their take down mechanism. No reason it would not work on limb bolts as well.    :campfire:

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 04:26:00 PM »
Beeswax, like Granpa taught us. Works on all types of screws and bolts
Member NCBA

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 04:55:00 PM »
McDave I was a diesel tech for 43 years> If I had a dollar for ever bolt or nut I have touched I would be a rich man. I can tell you this about a lubed bolt is much better than a dry one. Your torque reading will be more accurate. Torquing is streching the bolt witch keeps it tight. Lube should make no difference in how tight the bolt stays. If it gets loose it was not torqued in first place or is failing.About a HALF A HEX PAST BOTTOMED OUT IS ALL YOU NEED ON YOU LIMB BOLTS. when bow is strung will keep pressure also.
High on Archery.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 04:56:00 PM »
Double post.    :(
High on Archery.

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 05:31:00 PM »
String wax, beeswax, toilet bowl wax, all are good. Some on the limb beads and on the limb bolts are recommended by some bow manufacturers. I normally use string wax on the bolts and either cut thin leather or gasket material to put between the limbs and limb beds.

Putting the leather or gasket material between the limb and limb bed probably isn't necessary but I know some of the bowyers do so I figured it wouldn't hurt. I think on some of my bows it makes them quieter.
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 06:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Crooked Stic:
McDave I was a diesel tech for 43 years> If I had a dollar for ever bolt or nut I have touched I would be a rich man. I can tell you this about a lubed bolt is much better than a dry one. Your torque reading will be more accurate. Torquing is streching the bolt witch keeps it tight. Lube should make no difference in how tight the bolt stays. If it gets loose it was not torqued in first place or is failing.About a HALF A HEX PAST BOTTOMED OUT IS ALL YOU NEED ON YOU LIMB BOLTS. when bow is strung will keep pressure also.
Thanks for the info, Mike.  Hope I never get too old to learn from someone who knows more about something than I do    :wavey:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 10:30:00 PM »
I use string wax or Vaseline on bow bolts and Anti-seize on aluminum broadhead inserts as I have had them locktite after getting wet and hunting all season.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 07:22:00 AM »
I will occasionally take the three piece bows down to clean dust or water off the limb pads then lube bolt and alignment pin with a small amount of string wax.

Never thought about using anti-sieze on threads of points, thanks ksbowman.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 07:37:00 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts, guys! I'll probably put a bit of beeswax or string wax on my bolts. You guys have answered my concerns about the bolts backing out. I won't over do it!

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 10:15:00 AM »
Chap stick is the ticket for threads and alignment pins, IMO. It keeps the moisture out, and will help to eliminate any 'tick' you might get when first drawing your bow from pin to limb friction.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 10:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bill Turner:
Howard Hill Archery recommends and uses a light coat of toilet bowl wax on their take down mechanism. No reason it would not work on limb bolts as well.     :campfire:  
Huh?  By "toilet bowl wax" do you mean the wax from a wax ring (used to seal the bowl to the soil pipe flange)?

That seems quite strange to me.  The only time that I usually have such a ring available is when I have pulled the bowl and need to then replace the ring.

I keep a lot of plumbing supplies available, but not a wax ring.  But maybe I should.  Who knew they actually had other uses!     :eek:
- Hill Big 5 ASL, 66", 45# @ 27"
- Hill Halfbreed ASL, 66", 45# @ 27"

- Cabela's Warden 62" recurves:
-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Proverbs 16:3
"Commit your works to the Lord, and your plans will be established."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©