3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which broadhead do you use and why? "Broadhead roll call".  (Read 5202 times)

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
Which broadhead do you use and why? "Broadhead roll call".
« on: January 07, 2017, 09:27:00 AM »
Just wondering which broadheads everybody uses and why? And who influenced your decision on your choice of broadhead.
 For me, I hunt with a Zwickey Delta. I used to use Steel Force Hellfire broadheads some years back but switched to Zwickey's because of my father. I realized something about my father besides him using Zwickey Eskimo heads for as long as I can remember. My two brothers and I took noticed that none of us never witnessed our dad ever buying new broadheads? Or using any other kind of broadhead as long as any of us can remember. When we asked him about why he uses Zwickey broadheads, he just stated, well, they work and been around since 1938 for good reason as well as he seen no point in making things complicated. We then asked when was the last time he actually bought new broadheads? He said with a puzzled complex look, maybe late 70's?? We just laughed. Thanks.

Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which broadhead do you use and why? "Broadhead roll call".
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 09:35:00 AM »
I have enough broadheads to last several life times, all different types  

For me, what they look like means as much as how they work. The whole game is like that.  Recurve or ASL.  Pretty or painted ?

Face it, there are lots of heads out there that work very well.  Which one you use really doesn't matter except to you.  

My latest honey child is the 200gn Cutthroat.  I like them a lot.  They are well made, well designed, get really sharp (no hair on left forearm during bow season) and they "look" the way I want a broadhead to look.
CHuckC

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 09:38:00 AM »
I use Deltas too. I also use Simmons Tigersharks.

Deltas because they are easy to sharpen, tough as nails, cheap, and they penetrate well. Oh, and they fly great too.

Simmons because they make huge, short blood trails.

I can't decide which I like better so I carry both and kind of alternate which one I shoot.     :rolleyes:

If I had to choose one broached to shoot for all time, it would be a Zwickey Delta two blade.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 09:38:00 AM »
I've shot zwickeys and Magnus 2 and 4 blade when I started bowhunting. Got away from traditional for a few years and just got back the fire for my traditional equipment. After reading a lot on all the new coc broadheads I decided to try the vpa 175grn 3 blades. A lot of my decision was based on ease of sharpening and the 1 piece design. I'm very happy with my decision so far. They fly perfect and are extremely tough. I had a complete pass through on a buck this year from my 50# longbow and the broadheads looked like it had never been shot.

Nick
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 09:47:00 AM »
Zwicky Delta ....
Can't beat the performance or the price .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 09:48:00 AM »
Eclipse 125, and 225 Tuffheads with 75 grain titanium adapter.  I see no need to change from the two that work best for me.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 09:50:00 AM »
I am really happy with the 250 Cutthroats I have been using the last 2 years. They are tough, leave great blood trails and are easy to resharpen.

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 09:51:00 AM »
I've been having good luck with the Simmons over the last few years, though I think it really just boils down to personal preference anymore. Most of the traditional broadheads available are all top notch!

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 09:54:00 AM »

Eight pointer I shot November 7th, 2015. 21 yard shot with a Zwickey Delta, 28 yard recovery. Field dressed out to 234 lbs.. Just another reason why I love those Zwickey Delta's.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 09:55:00 AM »
Thanks for all the input my friends!! Keep them coming. I truly enjoy to hear what people are using.

Offline northern lights

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 10:05:00 AM »
Eclipse werewolf 175 double bevels, was a bear razorhead fan for years, got great penetration  out of a 50# old Kodiak with them (werewolfs) this year, easy to sharpen although they are wicked sharp right out of the package.
Now we're digging where the taters are.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 10:05:00 AM »
Zwickey,Deltas and No Mercy.Reason why?They work and have for longer than I have been here!
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 10:13:00 AM »
I have a few different heads but this season I used the Zwickey eskilites.

I only shot one deer but the tracking job was...zero yards. The buck expired almost directly under my tripod.

I did have to follow the blood trail for about 15 yards to find my arrow.

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »
Magnus stingers. 125s with the bleeders.  They came highly recommended by and old archer and are easy to sharpen.

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 10:32:00 AM »
I use Bear razorheads when I am using my old Bear bows and I use 3 blade VPA out of my Bob Lee hunting bow. Both are great heads I can get sharp real quick. Plus I like using what ol Fred used lol

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 10:44:00 AM »
In the spirit of full disclosure, I haven't killed anything with trad gear yet, so I can't actually vouch for how these perform, but I currently have 3 broadheads I shoot.  When I switched from compound 5 years ago and figured out how to bare shaft tune, I found that I needed 150 gr up front to use my old compound arrows.  I was on a budget and found one package of the old blue 150 gr Bear Razorheads at a local archery shop for $12.  I still have one of my bows tuned with those and have carried them a couple times this season.

I later found some 190 gr Simmons Interceptors at a garage sell for $1 a piece.  They appeared to have never been shot, so I snatched them up.  I've got two bows tuned with that weight now, but haven't hunted with them this year.  

I'd wanted to try a long skinny single bevel, like the Grizzlys, and also wanted a third weight option to give me more tuning options with the arrows I already had.  Last summer, I found where RMSGear was stopping carrying the Tusker brand and had one package of 250 gr Concord single bevels left marked down to $12.  I snatched them up and have been primarily hunting with them this season, though I haven't gotten to hunt much this year.  Archery goes to Jan 31st here, so maybe I'll still get lucky.

Looking back, I guess I shoot the ones I do because I found good deals on all of them.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 10:46:00 AM »
I've used many heads successfully so I think there are a lot of great options. Started with Zwickeys in 1987, Magnus Stingers& Buzzcuts, Simmons, Abowyer Brown Bears, Abowyer Boneheads, then VPA 125,150,175, and now settled on VPA 250 Grain, 3-Blade 1-1/4" diameter cut for my go to...  why? Because I kept upping my overall arrow weight & F.O.C and cutting diameter and still get great penetration and increased wound channel for more trauma and better blood trails. One piece machined and easy to sharpen, great warranty, and great company/support. If I want to shoot a two blade I like the Abowyer Boneheads 1-1/4" cut! Shot my biggest buck to date with that head and it performed incredible on penetration. They come wicked sharp!!! I cannot restore them to that factory edge, still need to learn that... I'd love it if they had a solid screw-on. I would also have full confidence in the tuffheads & VPA two blade....

Thank you Lord!

Entrance

Exit

Here's a Rod placed through the Entrance & Exit Wound Channel to show the quartering angle...

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 10:46:00 AM »
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2017, 10:47:00 AM »
I hunt with Zwickey heads, Deltas, No Mercy's, Eskimos, Cliff Zwickeys, 2-blade and 4-blade.

I actually started using Zickeys when I was a youngster because we shot a lot of broadhead shoots back in the 70s and 80s and we shot into dirt butts with silhouettes staked out in front.  Other guys were tearing up wasps, and savoras and Rocky Mountain razors, etc etc. I couldn't afford fancy replacement blade broadheads back then so I used what flew well and used a head I could shoot into dirt butts and then sharpen and take to the woods.

I've tried a lot of heads along my bowhunting journey. Most were adequate heads and fully capable of getting the job done but something happened several years ago that will keep me shooting Zwickeys from here on out.

I was building some "Arrow of Light" arrows for my nephew's Webelos troop which had 35 youngsters. I contacted Zwickey to see if I could get some unsharpened heads at a reasonable price. The lady I talked to ( Debbie I think) without hesitation, said Zwickey would provide them free of charge and in a couple days, 3 dozen Cliff Zwickeys arrived at my door.

When you take care of kids, you win my heart. Zwickeys Rock.
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline RAGHORN 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2017, 10:47:00 AM »
Woodsman original series 3 blade glued on a 70-75 doug fir shaft... Because treekiller Ron French told me to...   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©