3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which broadhead do you use and why? "Broadhead roll call".  (Read 5210 times)

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Which broadhead do you use and why? "Broadhead roll call".
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2017, 10:48:00 AM »
Zwickey 4- and 2-blade deltas, STOS two blades, Abowyer single bevel Brown Bears and Wensel Woodsmans and Snuffers for turkeys.

Have been shooting Zwickeys for more than 40 years and will always have some in my quiver.  Played around with STOS and Abowyers.  I've killed a few critters with them and they also do an excellent job. Usually have one or the other of them in my quiver as well. I like to punch a bigger hole in turkeys so use the three-blade Woodsmans or Snuffers for them.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2017, 10:57:00 AM »
After trying a bunch of different kinds, I have settled on the original glue-on Woodsman broadheads for deer, and coyotes -- and Grizzly single bevel for hogs.

But, I do still think that Bear Razorheads, Ace broadheads  and Zwicky Deltas are all excellent classic two-blades.

You cant go wrong with any proven broadhead as long as it is really sharp.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Wolf1007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2017, 10:59:00 AM »
VPA 200gn 3 blade. Fly quiet, sharpen easily, built like a tank, and look good too!
Dale Dye Trails End 60" 55#@28"
Dale Dye Medicine Point 58” 53#@28"
Schafer Silvertip 60" 55#@28"
Stalker Wolverine FXT 60" 51#@28"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »
Eskimos, Deltas, Ace, Bear, Magnus......been around a long time.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline RON ROMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
  • 406-505-0534
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2017, 11:17:00 AM »
Been a Zwickey fan for 45 Years; the Delta the best, for the above mentioned reasons. I like large entrance and exit holes. The only head I prefer as much, or more, is the large Snuffer. Almost always carry both in my quiver, and prefer the Snuffer in early season and when there is no snow. The Snuffer and the 4 blade Deltas are the best, IMO, if your shot is "Off the Mark";they DO leave a blood trail.  Hears so much good about the Simmons that I'm going to break my habit next season and try them.
Ron Roman

Offline RON ROMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
  • 406-505-0534
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2017, 11:19:00 AM »
Been a Zwickey fan for 45 Years; the Delta the best, for the above mentioned reasons. I like large entrance and exit holes. The only head I prefer as much, or more, is the large Snuffer. Almost always carry both in my quiver, and prefer the Snuffer in early season and when there is no snow. The Snuffer and the 4 blade Deltas are the best, IMO, if your shot is "Off the Mark";they DO leave a blood trail.  Hears so much good about the Simmons that I'm going to break my habit next season and try them.
Ron Roman

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2017, 11:27:00 AM »
Zwickey Delta 4 blades.  I can get them sharp pretty easy, they fly good, leave big holes and are affordable. I've had good results with them, so, see no reason to change.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2017, 11:32:00 AM »
I have a bunch - I too like the "look" of a broadhead as I believe they all will perform well if tuned and sharpened.  I've put Zwickey Deltas, Woodsmans, big Snuffers, Simmons Landsharks, and even a Magnus 2 blade through deer.  All worked well.  My favorites are the Woodsmans and Snuffers - mainly for ease of sharpening and excellent results.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2017, 11:42:00 AM »
After reading all ashby's stuff I was sold on the single bevel broadheads... I really enjoyed the tuffheads but tried the grizzlies this year and found them super easy to sharpen, shoot great and preformed beautifully. With a lower poundage   (49lb longbow) they had no trouble with bone. I've also witnessed them hit smaller trees (a couple inches in diameter) and split them 8-9" in either direction of the entry.
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2017, 11:57:00 AM »
vpa for me
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2017, 12:24:00 PM »
I agree that most coc broad heads will work well. I've killed bear, deer and elk with Zwickey Eskimos, Magnus Stingers, Woodsman, Bear Razorheads, Snuffers, and Simmons Tigersharks. Shooting Tigersharks right now but will be carrying them and 175 grain Woodsman on my hog hunt in 2 weeks.

I like the copious blood trails left by the Tigersharks.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2017, 12:38:00 PM »
I just switched to Silver Flame 180grain double bevel heads. Could not pass up the closeout price on the website. They fly like darts and are scary sharp.

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2017, 12:55:00 PM »
Simmons Landsharks....they fly great for me and are easy to sharpen and leave massive holes
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2017, 01:02:00 PM »
As always, you guys show me a diversity of things that work!! Great to see that people like switching up. It only shows me that traditional bowhunting is thriving with each passing year. And KAZ,,,What a buck and thanks you for sharing! Was looking for such postings here!! You guys are great!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2017, 01:02:00 PM »
Was shooting Woodsmams. Then I got the Hill bug and wanted to try a back quiver so I went with a Zwickey Eskimo. For ease of drawing from the back quiver.
Well, the back quiver didn't work so well for me. But I really liked the Zwickeys. Quiet In flight easier to sharpen, accurate and. Cheap!
I use 125 gr. Glue ons with a 75gr. Steel screw in adapter.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2017, 01:19:00 PM »
Right now, VPA 200 3 blades for better blood trails. So far...maybe.   :D  They are pretty durable, 5 deer and a cat with this one on #1 arrow. Easy peasy to sharpen, nothing to not like yet....

Previous 30 years Zwickey Deltas, love the 2 blades, but cant get aux. blades as sharp as I like on the 4s
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2017, 01:21:00 PM »
This was my first year with trad gear and I shot the VPA 3 blades. I killed a fallow doe and the performance was great, good blood trail, no complaints. My new bow should be here Monday and I'll see what weight tip I end up with after tuning. If I have to buy new broadheads I'm looking really hard at the Zwickeys. I like the way those old 2 blade heads look and hear nothing but good things.

Offline Big Stew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2017, 01:26:00 PM »
I  use to shot  Deltas but found Magnus 125 2 blades fly much better for me.

Clark

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2017, 01:34:00 PM »
Simmons Tiger Sharks

Reason excellence blood trails on everything I shot and on marginally hit deer.

Untitled  

IMG_1481
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2017, 01:39:00 PM »
Original Woodsman or Snuffer. I also like the Zwickey Delta 2 blade but with my current setup and shafts, the 170g weight underspines my shafts. Now shooting the 125 Woodsman's and Sunffers. The 3-blades are a no-brainer to sharpen to a super sharp edge, fly great and cut big holes.
Mark 1:17

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©