3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which broadhead do you use and why? "Broadhead roll call".  (Read 5201 times)

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which broadhead do you use and why? "Broadhead roll call".
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2017, 01:45:00 PM »
I've new using Zwickey Deltas for 35 years plus or minus. Switched to Magnus 1 for a little while and they did great, but still went back to the Deltas. I have some Cutthroats to try but haven't shot anything with them. I will always have a couple Zwickeys in my quiver.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2017, 01:47:00 PM »
And it has on at least one occasion field dressed the deer for me   :eek:    :eek:    :scared:

Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2017, 02:43:00 PM »
I'm glad this thread came up!  You see, I have been sort of a broadhead junkie since 1973!  I have used Bear Razorheads, Ace Standards, MA3's, Bodkins, Snuffers, Woodsmans, Magnus I and II's (with and without bleeder blades), all kinds of replaceable blade broadheads (back in my wheel bow days), Grizzly's and every model of Zwickey except the Cliff.  The only reason I ain't used them is because they are illegal in N.C.  I even completed my "Zwickey Grand Slam" on deer this year.  
The reason I have used and tried so many different types and styles is that I don't shoot heavy bows and I'm always trying to balance penetration with cut size (making heavy bloodtrails).  Always looking for that "perfect" broadhead!  Well, guess what?  There ain't a "perfect" one!  If you get a great bloodtrail with one today, you might not on your next shot.  I used to think a big, nasty broadhead would/could make a difference on a gut shot.  It might, but waiting long enough before taking up the track has helped me recover more deer.  A broadhead that blows through the rib cage on a broadside shot not might not give enough penetration on an angled shot.  An exit wound helps with blood on the ground.
So what's the answer?  Pick a good, solid, COC broadhead that flies great from your set-up, that YOU can get sharp, and practice with it so you have confidence in it.  For me that is a Zwickey Eskimo or No Mercy, Magnus II, Grizzly or Ace Standard.  (sorry for the rant but we are snowed in and I'm already having a touch of cabin fever!)
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2017, 02:52:00 PM »
Magnus 2 blade 125 grain. A 2 blade was recommended for penetration and Magnus broadheads were recommended by numerous trad gangers when I purchased them 7 years ago.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2017, 03:16:00 PM »
Been switching between the 250 Cutthroat and the 250 grain VPA 3 blade. Have killed 2 deer with the Cutthroats and 10 with the VPAs and an well pleased with both of them.
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2017, 03:26:00 PM »
Pretty much nothing but simmons heads for me wicked blood trails and got a great way to sharpen them
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2017, 04:02:00 PM »
Ace Standard 2 blade glue on, super tough easy to get scary sharp and fly great, many weights, I don't think I'll use anything else

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2017, 04:19:00 PM »
Woodsman Elite 175 gr.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Recurve7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2017, 04:28:00 PM »
Well.....I have harvested deer with Snuffers, Razor heads, Magnus, Grizzlies and the list goes on. All performed well as expected. However, I always come back to Zwickeys. Imo Zwickey does not make a bad broad head. The last few years I have settled on the Zwickey " no mercy ". WHY do I use Zwickeys? I do lots of stump shooting in summer months. I shoot broad heads and judo points for my stumping. The Zwickeys hold up better under this abuse than any other head I've tried! They fly well, are relatively easy to sharpen and tough as nails. I don't give much consideration to other heads now, finally!

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2017, 04:42:00 PM »
I use Simmons Landsharks because it looks like they were hit with a hatchet. Whenever I shot a mature buck and he went down immediately, I will likely never be looking for another broadhead.

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2017, 05:48:00 PM »
125 grain Magnus Stingers for me. Been shooting them for 3 seasons now and they work flawlessly!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2017, 06:07:00 PM »
Grizzly broadheads for me. I have a drawer full of all different makes of broadheads. Always liked the profile of the Grizzlies, just could never get them sharp. Then Bill Dunn took over the company and everything changed. The broadheads are built much stronger now, and the factory grind is excellent. Makes sharpening them and maintaining a sharp edge very easy. I swear they fly better then my field points as well. Can't see myself switching anytime soon.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2017, 06:12:00 PM »
250 Gr VPA 3 blade, Single bevel Grizzlies, and I just purchased some simmons glue on tree sharks. My gosh, they are huge!
This  deer was killed with Grizzly Single bevel. (185 weighted to 250 gr).

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2017, 06:32:00 PM »
Those Simmons Tree Sharks are truly lethal!! WOW!!   :scared:
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2017, 09:44:00 PM »
This one is with the 250 gr VPA 3 blade.

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2017, 10:03:00 PM »
200 grain single-bevel grizzlies!  I love'em.

I also have some 200 grain WW that I like... the ones made by VPA.

Since we're posting pics, this guy was shot with a grizzly this year!

For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline TexasTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2017, 10:20:00 PM »
I like trying out different broadheads.  This year I killed deer and hogs with treesharks, grizzlies, abowyer wapiti,and silver flame xl.  They all worked very well.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2017, 10:23:00 PM »
I've used several different heads over the years and grew to like a wider head, at least 1 1/4".  Heavier heads also shot better for me so I moved toward 160+.  Ace Express 165 was my #1 head for quite a while until even heavier heads started showing up.  Currently shooting Grizzly Kodiak 200 and 235 gr, depending on the setup.  They are narrower than I like, but the single bevel seems to make up for it.  The performance of these heads on game continues to amaze me.  I also carry The Grizzly Instinct 3-blade on occasion.

My arrows have also carried Zwickey Deltas, Woodsmans, Snuffers, VPA Terminators, Ribtec 160 and I would not hesitate to use any of them again if that is what the arrow liked.  I have some Cliff Zwickeys that I am gonna tune up just because they look so cool.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2017, 11:21:00 PM »
I like the 230 grain kodiak, I have a bunch of deltas too, but I can get the kodiak sharper easier, so I prefer them.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2017, 11:31:00 PM »
200gn VPA - spin true, 1 piece, almost indestructible, easy to sharpen, 3 blade leaves a good blood trail.

Con -  expensive
Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28
Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©