3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How long do you like to hang deer  (Read 1126 times)

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
How long do you like to hang deer
« on: January 09, 2017, 11:47:00 AM »
Was wondering , how long do you like to hang your deer before you cut them up ?
I've heard of people who hang them at least seven days .
I have cut them up the next day .
But I will add that the ones I've cut up the next day were less than 80# deer .
So what your thoughts on this and why ?
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Re: How long do you like to hang deer
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 11:58:00 AM »
Can't "hang" deer here, as it it too warm 99% of the time. Most of the time, you cannot hang a deer overnight! I leave my quartered deer in an ice chest with the plug removed for 5-7 days before processing it. I add ice as needed, but keep the plug out so the meat does not stand in water.

Bisch

Offline swampcrawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 11:59:00 AM »
We aren't able to hang them at all. Too hot down here. We get them cleaned and quartered and onto ice as quickly as possible. Some people like to leave them on ice for a while before processing.. I try to take care of mine as soon as possible.

Ive always wondered if meat that has been properly aged is a whole lot better than ours. I'm sure it makes some kind of difference.

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 12:00:00 PM »
Don't get cold enough in va to safely hang deer. I do wet age in bags in refrigerator up to 3 weeks.  Every 4 or 5 days rinse blood out. I go ahead and clean meat of silver skin first. It makes one heck of a difference. You notice first when you cut into meat, you notice when you eat and lastly hardly any meat gets between your teeth.  I do about 7- 10 deer a year and it works great. Side note I prefer to skin deer within a few hours of kill. I used to use hunt club walk in cooler, that works good but I noticed some loss of meat due to dehydration.
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 12:07:00 PM »
67 years old and never hung a deer to age in my life.  Never saw the point.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 12:13:00 PM »
It depends on the weather and what time of year it is. If it's November, and cold enough, we'll let them hang for a while and keep hunting. If the weather is warmer, we'll cut them up within a day or two.

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 12:16:00 PM »
I'm lucky that my friend has a walk-in cooler. Doesn't matter the weather. We kill'em as we can and cut up on Sunday. So 1-6 days, very rarely any longer.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 12:18:00 PM »
Not long. A day or two. Depending on temperature. If it's too warm, only long enough to skin and debone it.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 12:28:00 PM »
7 days hanging in a controlled environment cooler.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 12:37:00 PM »
Guys if you ever get the chance,I encourage to try to wet age at least one pc. In refrigerator in a ziploc bag. Clean meat and place in bag and roll up bag to remove air. Wash blood off of meat every 3- 4 days. Age for at least 2 weeks . I promise you will not believe the results.
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline SC Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 12:38:00 PM »
Research shows that hanging for a week helps to break down the tissue (tenderize) but anything over the initial week makes little extra difference.
We have always hung deer and beef a week (in a walk-in cooler)my whole life.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Pope & Young General Member
NRA Life Member

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 12:39:00 PM »
Temperature dependent. In a controlled temp/humidity environment, up to 21 days. In my out building with max temp around 45* and min around 35*, 6-7 days. Temps above 55*, 1-2 days.

Aging is a biological process where micro-organisms break down the connective tissue in the meat, making it more tender and flavorful.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
I have an "extra" frig I use to age deer. I'll take the shoulders, hams and cut the back in half and place them on the racks so they don't touch each other or the sides of the frig. This gives good air circulation. The meat skins over but that can be trimmed off easily. I usually give the meat 10 to 14 days before I cut it or grind it for packaging and freezing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
Into the freezer as fast as possible and everybody that eats my deer are amazed at how good it tastes!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 12:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by mec lineman:
Guys if you ever get the chance,I encourage to try to wet age at least one pc. In refrigerator in a ziploc bag. Clean meat and place in bag and roll up bag to remove air. Wash blood off of meat every 3- 4 days. Age for at least 2 weeks . I promise you will not believe the results.
I just might try this .
Sounds interesting .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 01:58:00 PM »
I do a 7 day age. It's can be 90 degrees during the bow hunt here but I have walkins and refers to do the aging. Most "Choice" beef you get is done the same.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 02:01:00 PM »
Do you see any meat hanging in front of the Super Market near you? Get it processed asap!! If you live up north and it's cold maybe you could hang it for a bit but I don't see the need.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 02:26:00 PM »
I used to hang mine for a while. My wife convinced me to try cutting and freezing the day of the kill and it was the best venison I had eaten. So.................99% of my deer or elk end up in the freezer the day they die. If I am on a remote hunt, we have two coolers full of crushed ice and two empty coolers for icing the meat. Works great!

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 02:40:00 PM »
The reason you don't see beef hanging at the supermarket market is because it is already aged. I am very fortunate to live where there are unlimited amount of anterless tags to be had. I do not process one deer a year, one every three to five years, I process many every year myself. Believe me it makes a difference in aged venison.  I do gut and get meat cooled asap,I think that is critical as well.
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 03:04:00 PM »
Man I learned something new this year. For when it's warm you quarter up the deer and put it in coolers and have it tilted so the water and blood drains and the meat isn't sitting in it. Put ice on top and let them stay in there for 3 days. It was some of the best tasting venison I've ever processed. Think I'll do it that way from now on I used to hang them for about 5 days if it was cold.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©