3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How long do you like to hang deer  (Read 1124 times)

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How long do you like to hang deer
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 03:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by mec lineman:
The reason you don't see beef hanging at the supermarket market is because it is already aged. I am very fortunate to live where there are unlimited amount of anterless tags to be had. I do not process one deer a year, one every three to five years, I process many every year myself. Believe me it makes a difference in aged venison.  I do gut and get meat cooled asap,I think that is critical as well.
Right!!

My late father-in-law was a meat cutter for Kroger's for 35 years. They generally dry age it, but commercial meat is aged, dry or wet.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 03:32:00 PM »
I'm eating Sika deer. If it got any tenderer it would fall off the bone raw.

In warm weather skin that day and put in cooler with ice.

In cold weather let hang for a couple of days before skinning and butchering.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2017, 03:46:00 PM »
Age? Heck I start eating as soon as I get it home! lol

Seriously I hang skin and bone out meat within hours. If I'm camping in ice, in cooler but if I'm home it goes in a refrig to keep constant temp. Not so much to age but just so I can cut up when I have time.
Then when I cut up deer meat, remove silver skin, fat etc separate in muscle groups, back strap etc I put all CLEANED meat in a huge stainless bowl with a saucer turned upside down in the bottom of it. It's amazing how much blood comes out during this process. Again at this time I've "aged" a day to five days but when I have time then I slice or grind to finish proportion's. Always worked for me for 35 years.
I don't bother with the time or expense of vacuum packing either for the record cause it's not long till it's ate!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2017, 03:58:00 PM »
We do the same a Bisch only we bone ours out completely first.  Best whitetail I've ever eaten.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2017, 04:44:00 PM »
I like to hang mine up to a week.  I have even tried tests with multiple deer hanging in exact same conditions for various length of time. while there are lots of variables the longer aged deer was the most tender.  I am actually working on a cooling system to hang deer and keep the meat between 35 and 40 degrees.  seems to be working, so we will see.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline frank4570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »
I'll try the wet aging .I have a deer hanging right now. Unfortunately it's been between 5 and 30 degrees for the last few days, 18 degrees right now. As soon as it thaws a little I'll put part of it in the spare fridge.
 And actually the heart has been in the fridge in salt water for a few days now.

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2017, 07:27:00 PM »
At least 7 days then cut on nearest weekend. Going to go to the wet age method. For those who have never experienced it. Go to the best steakhouse near you, ask for their oldest steak, I always ask for the oldest rib eye. Add a peaty single malt and all will. E well in your universe.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2017, 07:42:00 PM »
Hey Craig -

Can you give us a little more detail on your "wet" aging?  Thanks.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2017, 09:13:00 PM »
When possible I try to plan my deer hunts when I know I have time to take care of the meat right away.   Typically it's skinned and hanging in the garage same evening then it's a six pack and good music for a few hours the next day.  
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2017, 09:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by old_goat2:
Into the freezer as fast as possible and everybody that eats my deer are amazed at how good it tastes!
X2    :thumbsup:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2017, 10:06:00 PM »
Aging is rotting, dont see the need of hanging deer.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2017, 05:48:00 AM »
I will hang a deer over night, (if cold enough), but that's just to rinse and drain anymore blood or debris on or in the deer. I never left a deer hanging longer than 24 hours. I never hung a deer with the mind set of aging the deer meat.
 I'm not against it, I just never aged deer meat. I have heard of people doing it as well as wet aging meat but never done it.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Offline r.spencer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2017, 05:50:00 AM »
Until they quit kicking, makes it easier to cut up
If you are going to be a bear , be a grizzly

Offline frank4570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2017, 07:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by mwosborn:
Hey Craig -

Can you give us a little more detail on your "wet" aging?  Thanks.
What he said.

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2017, 08:34:00 AM »
We always did our own deer growing up and let them hang a few days off the loader on the tractor if it was cold enough. I usually do the same to this day.. I hung a Doe up in my shop last week for a few days before cutting it up. It was only 5 F here so plenty cold.

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2017, 09:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by r.spencer:
Until they quit kicking, makes it easier to cut up
:biglaugh:  

Growing up in northern WV, we typically would hang ours in a semi-protected basement sellar for a few days, but that was more dependent on time available to process than it was trying to "age" the meat.

Like some have mentioned on here - I won't hunt if I don't have time to at least quarter the deer right away (unless it's very cold) which is not usually the case here in NC.  I take a great deal of care when butchering my venison and packaging it, and even when marinating or cooking it.  I've eaten supposed "aged" deer and I can't tell a difference.  My goal is to the get the deer processed and in the freezer ready to eat as quickly as possible - however quick or long that takes varies with each deer and situation.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2017, 10:38:00 AM »
For those that are interested in the way I wet age. first and foremost get deer gutted and cooled as soon as you can. I debone all meat and separate the large muscle groups in hind quarters. Remove all silver skin and fat. I usually do not age inside loins,they are usually cooked in a day or two. I will cut back straps in half on bigger deer. I place meat in 2 gallon storage or freezer bags and roll bag up to remove the air. You need to drain blood out of bag and rinse meat off with in the first two days,after that every 3-4 days. The blood will stink, you do not want your meat marinating in blood. I typically age from two-three weeks at 35-37 degrees. Folks if you are willing to give this method a try,you will not be disappointed. I have hung deer in walk in coolers and for years put meat in cooler with ice on top. For ME this way has yielded the best tasting and the most tender venison I have ever enjoyed. Side note my neighbor had a 600 lb cow get out and got hit by a car. We cleaned him like a deer and did not age the beef. It was NOT good at all. When you cut aged venison for the first time you will notice it and when you chew it the days of getting meat fibers between your teeth are over. I typically grill most of my cuts, since aging this way the crock pot has not seen as much action. thanks Craig
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2017, 07:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by 30coupe:

Originally posted by old_goat2:
Into the freezer as fast as possible and everybody that eats my deer are amazed at how good it tastes!
X2     :thumbsup:  [/b]
X3  I like to wash out the cavity with cold water as soon as possible, let it drain, then get it cut up and processed as soon as possible...no more than one day and on ice while waiting if it's above 40 degrees.  From old bucks to young deer...all have tasted great and have been tender.
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2017, 08:45:00 PM »
Thanks Craig.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2017, 11:34:00 AM »
5 to 7 days - depends on temps!

Users currently browsing this topic: