3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Strike plate?  (Read 718 times)

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Strike plate?
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 05:45:00 PM »
Jeff, I'm glad it worked for you!  The softer side plate material gives you a different reaction with the arrow--- being thicker and softer it positioned the arrow point further to the left of the riser which made you naturally move it to the right as you aimed bringing your shots onto the target.  I have found this adjustment to be a great way to get your bow to shoot where you look.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 10:29:00 PM »
Hmmm.  Guess this old dog just learned a new trick.  Though I've been shooting sticks for more than 50 years, I really haven't experimented too much with side plate materials; thickness, yes, materials, no.  I've used mostly leather over the years, and switched to mostly velcro the past 10-15 years or so.

If your arrow is shooting stiff and you move the side plate out, it should shoot stiffer yet, but what you're saying is that a softer material will make it shoot weaker even if it's thicker.  

I can envision the action that would have to occur to make that happen. The arrow tip/tip area, when it's released, does momentarily press into the bow side plate as it begins its first bend.  Of course, the shaft quickly bends the other way as it moves forward such that the entire shaft clears the bow if it's spined correctly.

If the side plate material is so soft that it compresses more (than the compared material) at the initial moment of the release, the point of the arrow/arrow would be closer to the center of the bow at the side plate at release, which would require a bit more spine. Or, said another way, it would make the stiff spine shoot a little weaker, which is what happened in your case.

So, theoretically, it's possible.  I find it hard to believe though that the difference in softness between velcro and a rug rest is great enough to cause that effect.

I think rifleman's explanation might be more plausible, or maybe it's the combination of the two. Regardless, glad it works for you.

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 10:43:00 PM »
Yes rifleman, I could see how that would work with a thick soft plate material.

Offline TexasTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 12:03:00 PM »
I went to Rick's school and he showed me how to adjust the side plate to cause the arrow to hit where you are looking.   Softer material (like Martin) moves the arrow to the right even though it is a little thicker -- The softer material provides more cushion.

It works for the rest as well.....i.e. if you put softer rug rest on, it will move arrow impact down.

Some people suggest that this is a shortcut to proper tuning but I can get bare shafts to fly almost perfectly so long as I have a shaft that is spined pretty close

It is kind of counterintuitive but it works (for me at least)

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2017, 01:06:00 PM »
Texas trad. What type of rest do you need to raise your point of impact?

Thanks Jeff
58" Tall Tines 49@28
58" Centaur Triple Carbon Elite 50@27
64" stickflinger 50@28
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline TexasTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 02:22:00 PM »
Deerhunter -- I have never tried to raise my point of impact (always trying to lower it) but I believe the harder the material the higher the arrow impact.  If I was trying to raise, I would try Velcro or some type of thin leather with not much cushion.

As a side note, I think the easiest way to raise or lower the arrow impact is to raise or lower the nocking points (I used one above and below the nock).  That is what Welch teaches.   He gets left/right correct by adjusting sideplate material and then adjusts nocking points up for lower arrow impact or down for higher arrow impact.

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 07:14:00 PM »
Just curious. You was talking about lowering it. Thought it may come in handy sometime down the road.

Thanks. Jeff
58" Tall Tines 49@28
58" Centaur Triple Carbon Elite 50@27
64" stickflinger 50@28
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©