3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Climber recommendations please...  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Climber recommendations please...
« on: January 10, 2017, 09:09:00 PM »
I've been ground hunting for a few years now and have come to a conclusion, I gotta get of the ground some. The property I hunt is so hilly I can not ever get a good wind. I love the ground, prefer it, but I've been busted more often than not. Long story short, gonna buy a climber.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Climber recommendations please...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 09:25:00 PM »
Lone Wolf or Summit Open shot. I use my Lone Wolf for short sits, 3 hours or less and my Summit Open Shot for sits 3 hours or longer. My own opinion, the Summit is more comfortable, but slightly heavier and bulkier. The Lone Wolf is lighter and slim which makes it easier for hiking in the thick stuff or longer hikes. But it's not as comfortable as the Summit.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Offline KodaChuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 09:28:00 PM »
Lone Wolf Assault Hand Climber is light and easy to carry. Will require the sit/strap to get up a tree but it is a nimble package ...and Expensive. Easiest to shoot a bow out of in my opinion. The Summit stands are heavier but slightly more comfortable. They also don't pack down and carry as easy. I own both. If you have any distance to travel, Lone Wolf wins but is a bit harder to learn to use. Very secure once you are at altitude.
Palmer Recurve 64" 46# @ 30"

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 09:41:00 PM »
Lone wolf assault hand climber.  I don't use a sit/climb strap and didn't know that there was such an accessory until I read
The post above and looked at their website .  I will look into it more.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline n.c.swamp buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 10:05:00 PM »
I just got a lone wolf assault hand climber and love it. I normally used lock ons with sticks witch i still will in places where i will leave stand for awhile.but for 1 time sits this lone wolf is nice!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 10:52:00 PM »
I've been using a lone wolf for a long time. Light, quiet, solid.  I like it.

Offline KodaChuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 11:02:00 PM »
Yes...The sit/strap eliminates the forearm stress getting up the tree. Maybe I'm too big but I couldn't get the geometry and leverage using just the seat mechanism to leverage up. I like the 2 cinch straps that are tightened when in final position. Very solid
Palmer Recurve 64" 46# @ 30"

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 11:11:00 PM »
I have been using a Lone Wolf wide sit-n-climb for years now and it is rock solid, quiet and comfortable.  I replaced the seat that came with it with a Hazmore net seat because I always liked the net seat on the Ol' Man climber I had before this one.  I've used many types of stands with welded tubular aluminum or steel and expanded metal grate floors and never had one that didn't snap, crackle and pop when the weather gets cold.  The cast aluminum platform is the way to go.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 11:20:00 PM »
Lone wolf alpha hand climber.   Had it since '97 I believe and although other gear has come and gone it's my constant companion.  Frequently do all day sits in it.  Not super comfortable but wouldn't trade it for anything.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 11:46:00 PM »
I've got a summit that I like but if you have property where you can place numerous stands, I'd go with ladder stands. You can get a 16' stand shipped to your door for 60 bucks. I paid 220 for my summit and have only used it once in the last 6 years.

It's nice to walk to a stand and climb up the tree without packing the stand in and out every time.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 09:16:00 AM »
Summit recently released a new version called the "Sentry". Looks the same as the "Open Shot" but with a different, flip-up seat. Looks nice.
Mark 1:17

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 10:53:00 AM »
Here's another vote for the Lone Wolf hand climber! I normally use a Lone wolf strap on stand and Muddy climbing sticks, I can get in any tree my straps can fit around! I just got the hand climber and have used it about 5 times now and really like it, it packs up very slim and is very light. I timed myself 2 times now climbing down and packing the stand up, both times I was under 10 minutes and both times I was over 20ft up in the tree. I normally don't like climbers because they don't pack up well or are noisy but this Lone Wolf hand climber is great!
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 12:42:00 PM »
I prefer the Summits. More comfortable, and in my opinion, easier to use. I had a LW and found the climber too narrow for my forearms to lean on when climbing. I believe there is a wider version available now, but happy with the Summit.

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 12:49:00 PM »
I love my Lone Wolf climber, but I use my old Woods and Water hand climber to get up and down trees. I never could get used to the LW seat/hand climber.

Online gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »
Lonewolf Hand Climber, been using it for a decade.

However, just saw a new video of the XOP with curved bar and spring steel belt....These look like impressive upgrades that I may have to finally look at replacing my lonewolf.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Online gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 04:25:00 PM »
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 04:53:00 PM »
This is so subjective like so many things it will boil down to hunting style and personal choice.  I've used many on the market, including the Lone Wolf hand climber and numerous Summits, API's, Loggy Bayou's, and various loc-on styles.

There is no one answer.  The Summit Viper is by far the most comfortable and easy to climb, but very hard to shoot out of with a stick bow.  The Summit Open Shot (I have the Cobra) is comfortable and offers more shot opportunities but the arm rests still get in the way.  

The Lone Wolf hand climber offers much more shot options, but with that comes limited comfort as it's basically a minimal loc-on style seat.  I also though it was very uncomfortable to climb with.  I'm 6'1", 240lbs and have been a weight lifter for 20 years.  The angle and placement of where you have to put your arms was too tight for me and pretty uncomfortable to climb with.

My favorite was just the base of the old Loggy Bayou stands - I hugged the tree instead of using the climbing aid.  Fastest and easiest climb for me, but not safe.  In fact, I fell from it, and my Dad fell out of one as well to serious injury.  So...it went to the rack for good.  

I like the API's as well, but they are not quite as solid as they have a narrow notch that hits the tree.  

After all that, I choose the Summit open front style (there have been many names and variations over the years).  It's the best for me when weighing the variables.  It's very comfortable and solid, it's relatively easy to climb with, it's quiet, and it does still allow a decent range of motion for a longer bow.  For stick bow hunting - it's hard to beat a loc-on or ladder stand though, but sometimes you just need a climber.  I still do 90% of stand hunting from a climber.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 05:45:00 PM »
You know Jonathan that's a good point about the LW climber.  I can see where climbing might be harder for some.  I'd say that if someone can't do a pull up that may not be the stand for them.  Six years ago I tore my left bicep near the insertion with the forearm.  To this day I feel it a bit using the climber cause it puts some strain there.   Still worth it to me though.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 09:05:00 PM »
I feel I'm relatively fit. I don't have a problem doing chin-ups, dips, etc... I'm not a stranger to climbing stands, just never been a fan of em. I much prefer my pac seat and the ground, but I'm really getting frustrated with the finicky, fickle winds that swirl through these hollers so I'm gonna have to change things up a bit! I'm liking the looks of the lone wolf for its packability and they seem to be rock solid. I've never been an all day sitter, but comfort is a factor! Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it!

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 09:08:00 PM »
The XOP ambush climber looks pretty sweet, first I've heard of them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©