3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2 blade broadhead orientation  (Read 3002 times)

Re: 2 blade broadhead orientation
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 03:17:00 PM »
I ,mount mine so that they are horizontal when I am at full draw with a cant. I like mine horizontal so that nothing is sticking up into my sight picture. If your arrows are well tuned, it does not make a difference in flight.

Bisch

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 03:23:00 PM »
I like mine set at 5 and 7 o'clock I think it give me a better sight picture.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 04:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by CA BOWHUNTER:
I would be interested in seeing a pic of how you get a 2-blade set at 5 and 7 o'clock!

Bisch

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 04:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by kenneth butler:
Most all of the above has merit. I might try to tie it all together. The arrow rotates so no wind difference. If you have a slight left or right problem (spine/release) then horizontal might help.A slight up or down problem (nocking point or fletch contact) vertical might help. Well tuned shouldn't make any difference. In any case sighting/vision is the most important.      Ken
:thumbsup:
- Hill Big 5 ASL, 66", 45# @ 27"
- Hill Halfbreed ASL, 66", 45# @ 27"

- Cabela's Warden 62" recurves:
-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Proverbs 16:3
"Commit your works to the Lord, and your plans will be established."

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2017, 05:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:

Originally posted by CA BOWHUNTER:
I would be interested in seeing a pic of how you get a 2-blade set at 5 and 7 o'clock!

Bisch [/b]
LOL. Must have meant "5 OR 7 O'clock".
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 07:07:00 PM »
Horizontal for me ,just because I always have.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 07:17:00 PM »
I must be the minority.    :confused:
I prefer mine vertical with my cant. The blades just seem to disappear at full draw.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2017, 09:53:00 PM »
No, I do the same.  However, I had a set of arrows with the wide Magnus heads on 2018 out of a 57 at my draw Super Kodiak.  The were mounted vertical and flew nice, until I shot at a nice buck about 25 to 30 yards up hill and quartering down wind.  A gust hit right when I released.  I have never seen an arrow side step like that before, I missed.   I do not know if was that arrows were just barely in the spine or iff something in my release made the arrow react to the wind.  I tried another shot trying to match the crazy bad wind, it reacted, but not as bad as the first.   I was told that wide heads are better horizontal, could be.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2017, 10:12:00 PM »
I've always mounted mine vertically. However, I've had a couple arrows that were slightly shorter and the broadhead would hit my finger, so I mounted them 10 and 4 o'clock. Messed around with some horizontal.  Came to the conclusion that where ever they spin true is ok with me. It doesn't make any difference. It never mattered in my vision.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2017, 08:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tique:
IMO, with helical or offset fletch the arrow spins so broadhead orientation doesn't matter. Use whatever orientation you like.
That's my thinking as well.
SWA Spyder

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2017, 09:11:00 AM »
With a properly tuned bow I have not seen it make a difference. Even with with speed bows.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2017, 09:53:00 AM »
Yeah, fletched arrows spin. But how many feet has it flown before it starts spinning?
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »
I have always mounted mine at 12&6. I like it that way for the sight picture.

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2017, 10:35:00 AM »
I mount mine vertically and have never had a problem. For the past few years I have been shooting Simmons Safari's and they fly just fine in this position.

Steve Jr
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2017, 04:44:00 PM »
Howard Hill back in the day tested a lot of designs current to his time.  His conclusions are well known.   It may be possible that different bows and arrows will get different results.   Of course, Hill would test arrow flights at longer ranges in diverse conditions and expected a greater degree of accuracy than most of us.   If my head is off 5 inches at 30 yards, I think not too bad.  Hill probably would have that a miss and know whether it was him or the arrow that caused the miss.  I will say that the deer that I have killed with skinny 3 to 1 heads died every bit as quickly as deer that I shot with heads like the wide Pearson Deadheads, and I believe that they tracked straighter through the deer  as well.

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2017, 04:44:00 PM »
Howard Hill back in the day tested a lot of designs current to his time.  His conclusions are well known.   It may be possible that different bows and arrows will get different results.   Of course, Hill would test arrow flights at longer ranges in diverse conditions and expected a greater degree of accuracy than most of us.   If my head is off 5 inches at 30 yards, I think not too bad.  Hill probably would have that a miss and know whether it was him or the arrow that caused the miss.  I will say that the deer that I have killed with skinny 3 to 1 heads died every bit as quickly as deer that I shot with heads like the wide Pearson Deadheads, and I believe that they tracked straighter through the deer  as well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©