3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why do we nock an arrow under the nocking point?  (Read 499 times)

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
Why do we nock an arrow under the nocking point?
« on: January 12, 2017, 09:13:00 PM »
(This question obviously ONLY applies to using a single nocking point....)

It seems that this is the predominant way that we are taught to nock in trad, when only one point is used.

Howard Hill, John Schulz and some other adherents of the Hill style taught/teach to nock above.  However, that is related to how they use the back quiver.

But by far is seems that nocking under the nocking point is the method most often taught, especially with recurves.

Does anyone know why this is, when it became popular, and what are the supposed advantages?

Thank you,
Frank
- Hill Big 5 ASL, 66", 45# @ 27"
- Hill Halfbreed ASL, 66", 45# @ 27"

- Cabela's Warden 62" recurves:
-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Proverbs 16:3
"Commit your works to the Lord, and your plans will be established."

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why do we nock an arrow under the nocking point?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 09:40:00 PM »
For three under, obviously you need a nock above, or the arrow would slide up the string when you draw the bow.  Of course, these days most three under shooters also use a nock below too.

Other than that, I think it's just a matter of preference.  My Hill shooting friends all nock above, and I nock in between.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 09:44:00 PM »
If you nock under the weight of the head keeps the arrow on the string.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 09:47:00 PM »
One advantage (and not necessarily the reason) is that if you are holding your bow with an arrow nocked in anticipation of a shot, with the shaft held to the shelf, the nock over prevents the nock from sliding up the string and of course falling off the bow.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 09:53:00 PM »
For me the arrow naturally worked its way up the string when I started shooting. Probably had more pressure with the two fingers under the nock.  I only use one nocking point so I can nock the arrow with out looking and slide arrow up into position.  

When I started out a open throat nock (speed nock) was all that came on arrows.  Arrows wouldn't hold on the string. Then came the mid nocks (pinch on nock) followed by the Bjorn the predecessor to most of today's nocks.  Alot was learnt from one book, not like today with unlimited access to information.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 11:19:00 PM »
I've always nocked over. Been doing it for almost 30 years.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 11:28:00 PM »
I nock above.  Much easier for me with a back quiver without looking at the arrow.  My index finger keeps the arrow from sliding up once it's on the string.  It's just a matter of preference.  Not sure if Shulz or Hill mentioned why they nocked above.

Deno
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 11:50:00 PM »
It is not that hard to have two points, a large one below and a small one above.  You can learn to hit the gap without looking. It is easier to tune to use different thickness arrows if you are based on a nocking point below the arrow.  With open throat nocks like Mercurys, it is quite easy to approach the string slightly above and get the arrow nock completely seated right down against the nocking point.  If your string serving is sized properly a Mercury nock will behave itself, although it may take a bit of a walk when the bow is hung on a branch with an arrow on the string, even if the serving is the proper size.  some people like the nock to fit loose.  I find that a bit of friction with a Mercury nock works fine.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 09:50:00 AM »
Does not matter if nock is oreiented right. I always nocked under. The arrow stays put better and if you nock is a little loose some upward pressure will keep  
it in place until you release.
High on Archery.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 09:53:00 AM »
Whatever you are used to.  

If you hang the bow from a branch, while in a tree stand, having a nock on top will be a good thing.  

Since we have been doing that in the eastern half or more of the US for ... well since the 70's ish, and since most of the folks in archery were not on the archery scene till then, it seems that this is a very real reason why "we" do this.

For those that hold your bow and arrow full time or hunt in a different manner, that means less.
ChuckC

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 10:50:00 AM »
I agree with Chuck. A large part of it has to do with the fact that a lot of us now hunt from tree stands and hang our bows. Nocking the arrow under a nock point keeps the arrow from sliding up the string and falling off the bow.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 12:15:00 PM »
The weight of the arrow keeps the arrow on the string when at rest, hands free.   :campfire:

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 02:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
I agree with Chuck. A large part of it has to do with the fact that a lot of us now hunt from tree stands and hang our bows. Nocking the arrow under a nock point keeps the arrow from sliding up the string and falling off the bow.
Several members have now given a response similar to this, and it makes a lot of sense.

I guess for this reason, and due to the increased popularity of shooting three under generated by target and Olympic archery, this pretty much explains it.

I figured that there must be some logical reasons for it.      :thumbsup:    

Best wishes,
Frank

-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Offline JR Belk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 03:21:00 PM »
I nock under, use a back quiver, and nock without looking with no issues. I just prefer under. Most arguments about nocking position is really just preference. You'll get accustomed to it either way.
Northern Mist Classic
Northern Mist Whisper
Northern Mist Superior

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 07:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by JR Belk:
I nock under, use a back quiver, and nock without looking with no issues. I just prefer under. Most arguments about nocking position is really just preference. You'll get accustomed to it either way.
What he said. I have been nocking under since the Civil War; well, OK maybe the Vietnam War, for no particular reason other than that is just how I started out, and have no problem getting an arrow on the string without looking.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 09:00:00 PM »
Most hunters will hold the arrow on the sheft with bow hand index finger,witch puts upward pressure on the nock.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2017, 10:04:00 PM »
I think it started out as just being "standard" and became the norm back in the day.

I personally was taught to nock the arrow under the point but switched to nocking the arrow above the nocking point because it just makes more sense to me considering that it prevents nock slippage during the release.

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 07:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by 3arrows:
Most hunters will hold the arrow on the sheft with bow hand index finger,witch puts upward pressure on the nock.
:thumbsup:

-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©