3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: PBS Big Five Bowhunt Raffle  (Read 771 times)

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
PBS Big Five Bowhunt Raffle
« on: January 13, 2017, 02:59:00 PM »
Anybody up for a chance to win a great bowhunting or bowfishing adventure?  Five PBS members have offered to take a raffle ticket winner bowhunting or bowfishing at their favorite honey hole in 2017, or possibly in 2018 in one case.  You will have the option to hunt in Virginia, New York, Ohio, Idaho and Oregon for creatures such as eastern turkey, whitetail deer, black bear, Rocky Mountain elk and carp/bass.  Two of the hunts are in wilderness areas and one of those is a pack-in hunt.  The Idaho hunt in particular offers some lucky young bowhunter an excellent chance to tag a black bear and then their parent/guardian could also fill a bear tag.  This fundraiser is your chance to help the PBS financially and experience a great adventure with a PBS member.  The raffle will be open to all bowhunters but raffle winners will be required to join the PBS, if they are now members already.  Life is short – let’s bowhunt!

Tickets are $20 each and 6 for $100.  The tickets are due in the PBS home office by April 10, 2017 with the drawing on April 15, 2017.  More info on each raffle bowhunt will follow, along with instructions on getting your raffle tickets.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: PBS Big Five Bowhunt Raffle
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 04:03:00 PM »
This nice buck was killed on one of these hunts...

Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 05:58:00 PM »
Do you need to be a PBS member to participate?

Nick
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 06:33:00 PM »
Not to buy the raffle tickets, Nick, but we do expect the raffle ticket winners to join the PBS, if they are not already members.  These are PBS hunts.  For three of the hunts, there will be other PBS hunters present for part of, or possibly all of the hunt.

Offline Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 06:45:00 PM »
Been thinking about it anyways. Thanks

Nick
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 07:00:00 PM »
Great organization and certainly a good cause. Proud to be a member.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 07:06:00 PM »
THIS (actually bowhunting) is what we are all about.  Jeff, Thank you for posting this here on TG.  

If you aren't a member already, what are you waiting for?
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 07:22:00 PM »
You can probably tell Nick, but that's a nice Buckeye buck with a rutted-up bull neck.  We've seen much bigger and even had several very close, but they have escaped unharmed.....so far!

Offline Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 07:56:00 PM »
As they usually do!!! We have some bruisers here no doubt!

Nick
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 08:29:00 PM »
I have hunted 4 new places since joining the PBS.  There is a great deal of knowledge to be had by joining, especially if you want to hunt different areas.  
I think Jeff hunted six different states last year, he is the master.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 10:11:00 PM »
Awesome!  Will raffle tickets be available at the PBS booth at Kzoo?  I've been contemplating joining PBS, may have to do so at Kzoo.
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 10:03:00 AM »
Yes, stop by the PBS booth at Kzoo, talk to some PBSers, sign up if you think the PBS is for you, and get your raffle tickets.

Bowhunt 1.  Rough Mountain, Virginia Deer, Turkey and Bear Bowhunt

Rob Burnham is offering a 7-day hunt in the Rough Mountain Wilderness of Virginia.    Rob says "Rough Mountain is a U.S. Wilderness Area in the Warm Springs Ranger District of the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests. The wilderness area is located on Rough Mountain and consists of 9,300 acres.  This camp consists of tent camping with all the amenities of the finest of Hilton Hotels.  Tent and cot will be provided (sleeping bag if needed to help with those that may fly).  All basecamp needs will be provided to include meals and entertainment.  If you have an instrument and can play, bring it.  We might be able to get some locals to sing.  Expect some other PBS members to be present at some point also for this annual bowhunt.

I will be doing the pre-season scouting and have tree stands set, both ladder and hang-on’s in strategic locations.  If you prefer a climber, one will be provided (lonewolf or API).  Transportation to and from stands consist of walking.  The terrain can be very steep, we don’t have the elevations that the Rockies do, but Rough Mountain didn’t get its name for being flat land.  Some stands will be within walking distance of camp, others will require a brief ride in a vehicle.  

I have been hunting this area for most of my life, 45 years.  I started bowhunting Rough back in 1987 and have been doing a camp there almost every year since.  We have had 4 PBS Hunts there to date.  Bear, deer, turkey and small game are in season.  License cost for 2016 for a non-resident is $383. which includes a Black Bear Tag (which is optional at $151.) With the big game license, you get 5 deer tags (2 bucks), 3 turkey tags (2 can be used in the fall).  If you opt to buy the black bear tag you can kill 1 bear.  Over the past 10-12 years we have been seeing more and more bear in this area, but if you don’t wish to purchase the bear tag you can save $151. off the $383. license cost.  We have come VERY close to killing a bear here from treestands, by stalking and even tracking them in the snow.

If you choose to drive, the closest town (if you want to call it a town), is Millboro Virginia.  Camp is about a 30-minute drive from Millboro. If you opt to fly, I will pick you up at Richmond International Airport and depending on your arrival time we will spend the first night at my home or head straight to camp which is about a 3-hour drive.  I can’t promise you a shot at a deer or even a bear, but I can promise a great time and some beautiful country.  There is some very good fly fishing streams and rivers within a short distance of camp for anyone interested in a little fishing as well.  If deer are scarce we will have the option of making the drive back to my home where I will have stands in place as well.  If you have any questions about this hunt don’t hesitate to give me a call. 804-402-6900."

I have been on this hunt and have had good chances to arrow deer, turkey and bear.  I did rattle in a nice buck and shot him at ten feet, and twice had bears close but couldn't get a shot.  The first time, I tracked a bear in the snow into a laurel thicket and was catching up, but the wind swirled before I was in range.  Another time, I set up in a saddle with several crossiong bear trails and watched a big bear approach almost into my range, before a stray wind saved him.  If you are a ridge runner like me, you'll love this place - you can roam to your heart's content!

Trying to add photos but Photobucket won't let me right now...

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 10:09:00 AM »
Rob sure knows how to host a hunt and you will be comfortable and well fed..

There are not tons of deer here and if there are lots of acorns, the deer hunting can be tough, but still possible.  I had several bucks respond to my rattling and calling...

If you love hunting the mountains with plenty of room to raom, this hunt may be for you, but you had better be in shape...

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 10:18:00 AM »
You can contact Rob directly if you have questions about this hunt - I can answer some questions too.  PM your email address to me or email me directly at [email protected] for raffle tickets.  You can also contact the PBS home office for membership info or raffle tickets (email is [email protected]) or click on the PBS link below.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
Bowhunt 2.  Hudson River, New York Bowfishing and Fishing Excursion

PBS member Terry Receveur out of Kinderhook, NY is offering a fully outfitted two days of bass fishing (largemouth and smallmouth) and two nights of bowfishing for carp for two.  Everything (food, lodging, gear, etc.) except your license and transportation to Terry’s home is included.  You are welcome to bring your own gear.  This will be in the summer of 2017 (winner can work out dates with Terry) and the location is just south of Albany, NY.  It will be fishing and bowfishing aboard Terry’s 2012 Grizzly 21’ boat that is equipped with a 101# 36-volt trolling motor and 115 Mercury outboard.  If the two bowfishermen do not get at least 50 shots between them, Terry will provide a second trip for free!  Contact Terry at 518-755-9119 or [email protected] for details.  

I have hunted with Terry a good bit and he is one of the best, hardest-working bowhunters I know, and is just as good at fishing and bowfishing.  The man doesn't know the meaning of quit and is "that guy" who is always saying "just one more cast".  He has mastered the art of gator bowfishing and has helped many bowhunters get their first gator in Florida.  If big fish turn you on, then this is the one for you!

The first photo shows Terry with a nice bass, and the following photos give you an idea of what is in store for this raffle winner..

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 12:57:00 PM »

The fishing is good for both largemouth and smallmouth bass..

You like big carp?

Or do you like quantity?

This is Terry's boat, equipped and ready to go!

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 08:57:00 AM »
Bowhunt 3 - Ohio Turkey and Deer

I have been hunting Ohio since 1996 when I moved there specifically to bowhunt their big bucks, and since 2002 as a nonresident.  I have hunted all over the state and mostly on public land.  I have found a good public area where I have hosted PBS membership hunts for the past few years with good success.  I will provide the required Ohio hunting license and tags, a boat, all camping gear, and food for a combination turkey/deer bowhunt in Southern Ohio for one bowhunter.  The Ohio license year begins on March 1 and this public area has good turkey and deer hunting.  It consists of thousands of acres of prime habitat surrounding a lake, and we've found that using a boat there is pretty effective.  There is a nice campground with hot showers.  We can hunt spring turkeys for two days (the opener is April 24 this year and earlier is better for hunting here) and rutting whitetails in November for four or five days, centered around the second weekend in November.  You can drive and meet me there, or I can pick you up at the Cincinnati or Columbus airport.  I will buy your Ohio hunting license, one spring turkey tag and one either-sex deer tag - you can add another spring turkey tag and a fall turkey tag plus doe tag if you wish.  There is good fishing in this lake as well - for the spring turkey hunt we can hunt turkeys in the morning and either fish in the afternoon or look for shed antlers.  Contact me at 828-303-6120 or [email protected] with any questions.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 09:53:00 AM »
Great thread Jeff. I've never had the pleasure of going on one of the PBS Membership hunts, but I've sure hunted a LOT with PBS members.

You will never find an organization of people more willing to help one another find and go on outstanding hunts. Sometimes I get asked what PBS is all about and I tell them very simply...WE HUNT. Of course we do more, but the upshot of membership for many is the unexpected benefit of joining so many fine hunters on some of the best hunts you'd never find otherwise. This raffle is a fine example of that.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 01:16:00 PM »
I hunt a lot, and almost always the hunt is with my PBS friends or in an area that my PBS friends put me onto.  Joining the PBS was the single best hunting decision I ever made.  I have gone from being mostly a loner to hosting several PBS membership hunts per year for up to 15 bowhunters per hunt.  I have to turn down invites for hunts all over the country every year, not because I don't want to go, but in order to stay married and employed.  For my Ohio hunt, there will most likely be a few other PBSers there also.

It is really nice to only have to drag a big buck a hundred yards downhill to the boat, rather than a mile or more to the nearest road...

There are even some food plots and crop fields within the hunt area...

The big bucks are there, no doubt....

Hunting by boat turns an ordinary hunt into quite an adventure....

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 01:19:00 PM »
Sorry, been fighting Photobucket all morning, here is the first photo that didn't copy...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©