3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Working on a new bow mounted quiver design.......I figured out the judo point issue  (Read 1072 times)

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
I've been wanting a new bow mounted quiver for a while, but it hasn't been in the budget.  A couple weeks back, I got a wild hair and started a little project.  

Not sure why I haven't thought of it before, honestly, seeing as I build about everything else I use (knives, leather sheaths, arm guards, holsters, etc., arrows).  I've even considered becoming a sponsor and trying to sell a few items on here, but haven't had the time to devote to it yet.  If I become proficient enough at enough archery gear, I may have to take the plunge.

Anyway, back to the project.  I like the premise of the Kanati Slim Jim, so I decided to do something along those lines, but with a twist.  Each arrow holder is a separate unit and are held together by the mounting bracket on the back.  Mine is also a 4 arrow instead of 3 arrow.  I'll talk more about the drawbacks of that in a little bit.  Right now, I'm working on getting the functionality of the design figured out, so it's still pretty rough.  Most of the hardware is just plain old steel machine screws.  I'll replace all of this with hardware that looks better eventually, but this is just what I had laying around for now.  I also havent repainted the metal bracket on the arrow gripper yet either.  Here's a couple pictures of the top half of the quiver.

If you look at the back, there's a bolt on one side of the bracket and a hole on the other.  It will be possible to move the bolt and change the mounting angle of the quiver.

For the bottom half, I used a piece of rubber floor mat for the gripper (again, just what I had laying around), so the top and bottom of it aren't smooth.  I also still have to smooth the sides and edges down a bit.  A I said, just making sure everything works before spending a lot of time on finish work.  The four arrow design required that the bracket be offset, which is why I also offset the mounting holes on the top half.  

I'm going to use a strap on system, so I still have to work out the brackets, straps, etc. for that.  For a limb bolt or quiver insert mount, it'd be pretty straight forward to get the mounting brackets built.

Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Not bad.  I like the concept but won't carry less than 5 arrows.  I think 3 under 2 should lay fine if Kanati would do it but their not interested.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
Now, some of my thoughts on advantages and disadvantages to the design I have for now.  As stated before, the four arrow design requires the mounting bolts to be offset rather than centered.  That creates some neat options, but causes some issues as well.  

One advantage is that by moving the top mounting bolt, I'll be able to adjust the mounting angle without the need for an extra offset bracket that is usually required.  The way it's setup now wouldn't lend itself well to lefties, but that would be a simple fix by using a bracket on the gripper with dual mounting holes to match the top.  That would make it ambidextrous and still allow different mounting angles.  Here's roughly how it would ride with it mounted using the two different holes up top.

A disadvantage of the fourth arrow is that it will require it to be mounted further away from the bow to allow easy removal of the arrow.  Changing it to a three arrow design would allow it to be mounted closer.  I also think that, with the back arrow gripper removed, the gripper design would work well for 3, 4, and 5 arrow designs by simply changing the hole spacing and pairing with a more traditional hood with a foam insert.

One other little detail I'm going to work on is the mounting bolts.  Right now, I have to remove the entire top bracket to change the bolt to the other hole.  I'm going to try to figure out a good way to have the bracket threaded so that the bolt can just be screwed into whichever hole I want to use without a lot of hassle.  

So, what are you guys' thoughts?  Would you prefer a 3 arrow quiver mounted closer to the bow, or a 4 arrow that sticks out a bit more?  And if using a three arrow quiver, or one with a more typical leather/foam hood, do you like the idea of the multiple mounting holes to adjust the mounting angle, or would you prefer a single centered mounting hole, then an offset bracket in case you wanted to mount at an angle?
Matt Toms

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by BAK:
Not bad.  I like the concept but won't carry less than 5 arrows.  I think 3 under 2 should lay fine if Kanati would do it but their not interested.
So remove the 4th arrow from the back, then stack two on top of three instead one on top of two, and adjust the gripper to match? It'd make a fairly wide quiver, but I think it'd work.  I may have to try that out.  That way I could offer a 3 or 5 arrow option, and still mount it a little closer to the bow.  I'm thinking the main benefit of this style quiver is how slim it is, and mounting it further out to accomodate the extra arrow sorta negates that.

I heard Kanati is no longer in business.  Do you know if that is correct?
Matt Toms

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
What if you were to offset the two rows more length ways. Then each row could share rivets on the tail end of the broadhead. This would bring your overall width down.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Bvas:
What if you were to offset the two rows more length ways. Then each row could share rivets on the tail end of the broadhead. This would bring your overall width down.
Definitely worth trying.  Especially if I try a 5 arrow model.  Thanks   :thumbsup:
Matt Toms

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
Very cool, It reminds me a bit of the mesa quivers but each arrow sheath separate.  

any ideas on how to make a 3 BH 1 judo model?
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Longtoke:

any ideas on how to make a 3 BH 1 judo model?
Simple round field tip pocket, then carry judo arrow flipped??
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
I've actually thought about that.  Haven't come with anything really good for the judo yet, but I'll keep thinking.  I've about got the strap on mount working.  It'll need some tweaking, but it's getting there.
Matt Toms

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
Well, I got the brackets/straps on it today.  Just like the rest of it, I was using stuff I had laying around, so I'll probably end up tweaking it some before it's all said and done.  But it's pretty solid and did pretty good for the few shots I flung this evening.  

The arrow gripper isn't quite as tight as I'd like, so cutting out another will be my first tweak.  I'm going to go with just a three arrow setup on the new one.  After getting it mounted, I can tell for sure that the fourth arrow is definitely going to require mounting it too far out from the bow.

Matt Toms

Offline RON ROMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
  • 406-505-0534
I like your 3-arrow design, and would also like room for a judo if you get there. I personally like my arrows in a more "straight-line" arrow gripper that brings the feathers closer, and more compact( but not touching. I'd like to see you "slightly overlap" your 2 side by side head holders also, to make the overall top of the quiver more compact. Your looking really good on your ideas.  Thanks for posting.
Ron Roman

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
Much less versatile than my 8 arrow modified Great Northern adjustable length bow quiver.
Can mount that to nearly any bow without tools. Your design is only good for 2 blade heads. Limited benefit in carrying 3 arrows.....
For 3 arrows, that gripper is way too big imho, too. The whole bottom is not offset enough.

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I think it looks freaking awesome! I personally like the slim two blade quivers, I currently have an EFA and love how low profile they are. Yours has that extra bit of creativity and flair with each individual top. You could easily add a judo with a couple piggy backers attached to an arrow if you were so inclined. I really like it, if you do market those I would be very interested!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
Ron, I'm lthinking through some other design options to make it a little more compact, and maybe increase the number I can carry.  I'm also going to try a few different gripper layouts.  That's one part that's pretty easy to build, so I can change the spacing up pretty quickly on the bottom half.

Tecum-tha, this definitely isn't a very versatile setup.  This is primarily just intended for my own use for now, so I tailored it to some specific uses.  I liked the concept of the Kanati Slim Jim when they were being built, which was part of the inspiration here.  I hunt with two blade heads, and most of my hunts are short walking hunts using preset stands and without any small game hunting, so three arrows is plenty.  

I hope to eventually build a more conventional style quiver that'll hold at least 6 arrows, and if I ever decide to start selling a few, I'd offer multiple options to fit different needs.  I'm also going to change the brackets so that there is no offset built into the actual quiver, then use a different mounting bracket to allow me to customize the offset.  This is my first attempt, so there're a lot of things that need addressing.

Thanks for the feedback.
Matt Toms

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
I cut out a new gripper and got arrow fit a little better, and removed the fourth broadhead cover from the back to make it just a 3 arrow design.  I also changed the top mounting bolt to a center mount setup.  The bottom is still offset a little for now, but I think I'm eventually going to change it to a center mount setup as well.  That'll make it ride vertically with the standard mounting brackets, and then I can use an extension bracket if I want to offset the bottom.  It'll be ambidextrous that way.  After trying it out, I'm thinking there may be a reason that no major manufacturers do it the way I had it at first.  I think I'm pretty well done for now as far as functionality goes.  I'll use it for a bit, then see what I think needs improving.  Still thinking about the judo point idea.

Matt Toms

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
Very nice. I also. We'd at least 6 arrows in the woods lol. I've had some crazy things go down and have run out of arrows before. But that quiver looks good. Great job

Offline RON ROMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
  • 406-505-0534
Looks good Matt.  The grippers are quite important, IMO.  I'm with luv2bowhunt, on the piggy backers and I like 2 or 3 arrow quivers. I like the minimalist idea and light weight aspects; I modified my 2-Lite quiver with the addition of a  third single "leather hood" that I fashioned from scrap leather. I attached it to the underside of my 2-Lite with a small tie strap; another tie holds a single arrow gripper to my gripper bracket.
Ron Roman

Offline RON ROMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
  • 406-505-0534
Looks good Matt.  The grippers are quite important, IMO.  I'm with luv2bowhunt, on the piggy backers and I like 2 or 3 arrow quivers. I like the minimalist idea and light weight aspects; I modified my 2-Lite quiver with the addition of a  third single "leather hood" that I fashioned from scrap leather. I attached it to the underside of my 2-Lite with a small tie strap; another tie holds a single arrow gripper to my gripper bracket.
Ron Roman

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
I did a little thinking and came up with something for the judo points that several of you mentioned.  I'm sure I can refine it over time, but it works pretty good for now.  I like it much better than the piggy backers.  So now I've gone from a 4 arrow quiver to a 3 arrow, to a 5 arrow, and that's just this week.  This whole product development thing is exhausting.  It takes away from the Slim design a little, but here's what I've got.

Matt Toms

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©