3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting back pack ?  (Read 677 times)

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting back pack ?
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 10:32:00 AM »
Alice - maybe a large one
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 11:09:00 AM »
Badland Packs! There's one for every situation.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 03:54:00 PM »
I have loved my two Sitka Flash 20 and 32 packs.  Quiet, quality material and thoughtful design. Both with frames. The 32 new was $329 and the 20 was $269.  The latter has been used many times, but all in working order and no staines. While the 32 is still nearly as new.  I am shifting all of my clothes and gear over to Kuiu.  So if you are interested, I can part with either pack.  $125 for the 32 and $100 for the 20.  Scott

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2017, 04:40:00 PM »
I've used the Shuh pack out West as well and found it versatile and comfortable. No reason it shouldn't work for your needs.

Offline cuboodle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2017, 08:17:00 PM »
I ordered a tenzing TC 1500 I have a thing for finding just the right pack. I have too many just like flashlights I may have a problem ha ha.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 09:37:00 PM »
Don't be affraid to check out day hike packs like osprey, camelback, dueter, etc. Super tough packs, many come in nice earth tones, come with rain covers, lots of pockets and very light weight. A quick look at REI.com or Backcountry.com or campmor.com will show you some great options. Those were all I used for many years and loved them!

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 07:34:00 AM »
I have a badlands pursuit that is a great little day pack. No frame but big enough for the items you mentioned.  Lists for about $100 but got mine at Cabelas on sale for $79.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 02:23:00 PM »
I haul a rucksack with me everyday as a get-home-bag, and to carry some stuff I use all the time. I'm on the road 12 hours a day and never know where I'll be. I also ride my motorcycle everywhere part of the year, so I need a ruck that is very durable and versatile. If you're not doing a backcountry trip, or quartering out game, you can't go wrong with military surplus, especially for the money. I'm currently using the USMC assault pack in digital woodland and absolutely love it. It's tough as he##, and very versatile. It's got plenty of room for the gear you mentioned and a ton of Molle attachments, the zippers are excellent too. You can get them new or near new for about half your budget.

It you want an external frame, a medium Alice pack is a great choice. You can get the shelf to clip on the bottom of the frame and use it without the pack by strapping containers and such to it to make it a modular set up. Very versatile also, and pretty cheap too.

If you need something bigger, I have a camelbak BFM that is awesome and top quality. A Maxpedition Monsoon is a sweet sling pack. I use a surplus Sustainment pack with a shoulder strap as a Possibles bag for short trips when I don't need to carry much gear.

There are a lot of reviews on YouTube that can help, it's my go-to site to review gear before I buy.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 03:54:00 PM »
My go-to pack is a simple camelback rim runner daypack.  Nothing fancy and cost me about $80 about 3 years ago.  It has gone with me on long trail runs (20+ miles) in the summer and doubles as my 7 year-old's backpack when backpacking.  It's durable & holds all I usually need for a day.  I use outside attachment points for strapping clothing layers on it in the afternoon.  I can fit lunch, dinner, snacks, first aid, water, filter, foam seat, 50' paracord & basic essentials (spare nocks, sharpener, etc.) and raingear inside.  It isn't quiet material but it's the first thing I ditch if I'm starting a stalk.  I'll throw it in the car for family trips so I can haul food, water, clothing for everybody without having to track kids' water bottles & such.  My wife steals it whenever I'm not using it -- sometimes just for taking the kids to the zoo.

The last couple hunts I've done I left the backpack and brought a simple canvas messenger bag.  It's quieter against the brush but since it rides more on the side, it hits the brush more often.  I like that the main compartment can be accessed without using a zipper, though.  I got busted last year while zipping up a pack & wanted to give it a try.  It worked okay.  I'll probably go back to the camelback, though.

I know some people really get into their gear.  But for me, I prefer to keep things simple.  I use my gear a lot throughout the year for many different purposes and hate having to buy and store things that only get used a few times each year.  I spent good money on my ultra-light frame pack for backpacking and have used that for hunting as well.  I've looked at quieter "hunting" packs but they're always heavier, lower quality or cost 2-5x what I already have (and still weigh more).  I prefer to keep things fairly light while I'm out and just hoof it back to the car if I need a bigger pack to get something out (a rare event anyway).  I keep going back to my simple camelback & will probably use it until I wear some holes in it.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2017, 11:29:00 AM »
Check out the used Dwight Schuh pack in the classifieds. I don't think you need something like that for a day pack, but since you want and external frame it is a great choice, especially if you ever go on an extended stay hunt.

Good luck
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©