3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cold feet  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Jbseitz

• Trad Bowhunter
Cold feet
« on: January 14, 2017, 11:40:00 PM »
I read all topics on staying warm. All the products ....Sitka, First lite, KOM...zero degree weather,high winds and wind chill...My feet get cold just reading about it. When that happens the hunt is over for me. It's the first body part to give into the cold. Who's wearing what to keep the toes warm on an all day sit in 10 degree weather? I'm talking sitting, not stalking. My insulated boots with my Thermal Cells are fine until the batteries go dead, after that it's not long until I feel the cold work it's way in.
Never go back the way you came

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cold feet
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 12:07:00 AM »
I use good old military Micky Mouse boots , can't beat'em .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kurt in Memphis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 12:20:00 AM »
I have the same problem.  Hunted in 10' weather twice this year, both times with 2 'Hot Hands' glue-on foot warmers and still got cold.

I have read good things about the slip-on cover made by Arctic Shield (I think that's the brand).  I may have to try them for sitting in a stand on those cold days.  Anyone have an opinion of the boot cover?

Offline jono446

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 12:50:00 AM »
I have the same problem and this year I bought some alphaburly pro 1600 gram boots and always wear thick wool socks and have had good luck so far

Offline Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 01:05:00 AM »
X2 what Graps said.  
You can also wear Fort Lewis mountain/cold weather boots.

Deno
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 06:10:00 AM »
I have the best luck w one pair of thick omniwool socks and a loose pair of insulated boots - when it's really cold I'll use the stick on toe warmers
Tim

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 06:25:00 AM »
Boot blankets are great, its amazing how much warmth they add.  I have a home made pair my mother sewed up 25 years ago, and the are bulky, but lightweight to carry.  I'm sure the commercial ones have better insulation (mine are quilt batting).  Still, mine work great - if you have a little snow on the boot when you put it on it is steaming when you take it off.  Check size and how easy on/off....you ain't climbing in these, and putting on/off in a stand can get a bit 'coony.

R

Online hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 06:37:00 AM »
What ever boot your wearing have wriggling room for your toes. A lose fitting toe area makes a incredible difference.  Remove the insoles over night to let the moisture completely dry out.  I have the MM boots and they are warm, just not comfortable for me to walk in. Spray deodorant on the feet will help also.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 06:54:00 AM »
Mickey Mouse boots or a good pair of Sorel's and like Ryan said.. Any type of "boot blanket" I usually carry mine in my pack for late season. They came with a heater body suit I have and they will really help. Also a good fabric cover like Hockey Tape work's great if you cover the platform of your stand with it. Your feet will conduct the cold from your stand.. Hockey Tape will help unsulate the stand as well as deaden the metallic sounds.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 07:54:00 AM »
Me too, my feet will ruin a good hunt.
As said above, the most important thing for me is ROOM around your foot. If you put a heavy pair of socks on and your feet are all squished up in there you are already done for.
I like two layers of socks, one light merino and then one medium to semi-heavy merino, then a good insulated pair of boots. My toes have to wiggle freely once in. A chemical toe warmer both on top of toes and below. Boot blankets after that when super cold.
Don't put them on if your feet are already cold, they are insulators, not heaters. Unless you have something in there like the battery socks or toe warmers.

I have managed to stay in some nasty cold weather like this.
David M. Conroy

Offline Jbseitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 09:11:00 AM »
Thanks guys good advise practicing some but not all. Looks like it's pack boots for me, just will have to be careful negotiating the swamps I love to hunt as they are not as high as my insulated rubbers.
Never go back the way you came

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 09:58:00 AM »
Arctic shield boot blankets are the real deal and work great for me.  I had tried boots up to 2000 grams of insulation prior to finding these and my feet still got cold.  I often have long walks in so my feet would sweat in heavy boots and it was game over.  I wear 200 gram Danners all season with a liner sock and a wool sock here in the Midwest.  I just grab the boot blankets when it gets cold enough.  They are light and pack flat.  

Only negative that I have found is that they are a little noisy when it gets bitter cold because they have something like foil bubble wrap insulation in them.
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 10:10:00 AM »
When it's really cold I'll wear pack boots with the felt liner.  They are oversize and with one pair of good thick wool socks  my feet still have lots of room.  Lots of room is the key.  Extremely cold....I bring a blanket too.  I like the idea of the homemade  boot blanket Ryan R posted above and will give that a try.  I really don't like wearing the pack boots if I have any distance to walk.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 10:19:00 AM »
1st..Wear a damn good hat.
2nd.. if your feet sweat spray antiperspirant on em...yes really.
3rd.. Wear thick wool socks that don't fit tightly. Layers are best...but when have you ever found layerable socks that didn't end up being tight?..I haven't. I wear em for a day before hunting with em..just to get them loosened up a bit. Tight stuff restricts blood flow. Blood=Heat.
4th... Wear loose boots. Can't squeeze your foot anywhere. Super easy to wiggle your toes, no constriction. I wear the old mickey boots..just like em. As long as your boots are loose you're good.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 10:52:00 AM »
Mickey mouse boots

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 11:21:00 AM »
Double post
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2017, 11:28:00 AM »
When I was sitting up at night for pigs in Germany, I had (still have) a quilted over-boot. They are impossible to walk in, but I put them on at the foot of the ladder and was able to climb the ladder ok. I too have cold feet. I sleep without even a T-shirt at night, but my feet are freezing unless I wear socks in bed. With those over boots on, my feet did not get the least bit cold. I also have a heavy wool "Ansitzsack" which is pretty much like a sleeping bag in back, but cut only chest high in front with suspenders. NOTHING got cold while wearing that. It traps all your body heat. It has a zipper that runs down one side and across the bottom. I put it on with the zipper unzipped across the bottom and part way up the side. I could climb up into the stand and then zip the bottom up. Fell asleep many times sitting in that.

Of course all this was done sitting in a very roomy tree stand, built from timber and permanent. I'm not sure either would be functional for a "postage stamp" sized hang on, or climber.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2017, 01:08:00 PM »
Last year I got lyme disease which resulted in peripheral neuropathy in both feet. I have always had sensitive cold feet but the lyme added more discomfort. My doc has a similar problem. He is a skier and wears an electric sock made by Lenz. They cost $300 but they are worth every penny. The high cost  is due to the cost of the lithium batteries. I use them for hunting, snowplowing my driveway and the neighbors, etc. I spend a lot more on non essential items every hunting season so the cost just means that I have to be frugal for a year. The neat thing about the socks is that you can control the heat level with  your Smart phone.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2017, 08:39:00 PM »
Two pairs of boots, one pair to walk in the second pair with dry socks to wear in the stand. I do this because the swamps are full and hip boots are not very warm. Boot blankets when it gets cold.

Online 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2017, 09:55:00 PM »
I get cold easily.  Up to this week I have been using my Schnee 10" pacs with insulated wool inner boots AND heater packs AND sock liners with Alpaca socks.....but just not enough under 30 degrees.  In part because the heater pacs just go out with the oxygen deprivation of the rubber boot.

Solution: I pulled out the old pair of Mickey Mouse boots that I had forgotten about.  Without any heater packs at all they kept my feet very comfortable at 24 degrees.  Not even going to be a question now if the temperture falls
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex Mahogany and bamboo 62" 53#@27.5"
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex curly maple, birdseye maple and Osage riser 53#@ 28"
Blacktail 62" longbow takedown 53#/57# B & W ebony
Harvey Crowned Eagle longbow  62"  49#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©