3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cold feet  (Read 1085 times)

Offline RON ROMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
  • 406-505-0534
Re: Cold feet
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 09:44:00 AM »
Mickey Mouse boots!!
Ron Roman

Offline Sota

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 01:13:00 PM »
Snowshoe enthusiasts use neoprene overbooties and I have a pair of these I've used in the past, they help and you're able to walk just fine with them.  Similar in price to boot blankets though, and reading this post I'm going to research a good pair of boot blankets.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 10:08:00 PM »
Baffin Ice Bears with no socks...Feet get a bit cold wiggle your toes...We work in them at 40 below

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 10:32:00 PM »
There must not be too many ice fisherman here...  I have had great luck with heavy, Smartwool socks and a good pair of pack boots with wool liners.  I'm sure there are alot of good ones, but I've been using my pair of Schnee's since 2008 and have  had nothing but warm, dry feet hunting late season elk, ice fishing (with/without shelter) and giving goose hunting a shot, all down to -35F.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline chase perry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 09:59:00 AM »
In addition to all of this great advice,  wear a thin road bike sock as your first layer.  They are excellent at moving perspiration away from your feet, and keeping them dry.  Pearl Izumi makes a nice sock.  

Chase
Proverbs 28:1 "...the godly are as bold as lions."
Isaiah 40:31

BARK, n. The song of the dog. -Ambrose Bierce

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 10:53:00 AM »
Look at where people are from  if they are from the Dakotas , Minn. Wis. Canada they will tell you what is warm, they deal with extreme cold every year and have long seasons to be out in it. What I have found for my feet is the Fox River socks they are wool and about 1/4" thick very warm . Fox river also has a liner that is as thin as silk socks but 60% wool . For boots the Lacross Iceman are the warmest I've tied. They have an insulated bottom and a heavy felt bootie I also put a thick wool innersole under the felt bootie . With all that I still use toe warmers . Some like the bunny boots but my feet got clammy cold wearing them  .Others go for the muk luk I'd like to try a pair .

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 11:03:00 AM »
I use Lacrosse 1000 or 1200 Thinsulate boots. I also have Rocky (might be Artic Shield) Thinsulate over boots that are easy to put over them. They are light and pack down to a thin package. They are warm! My feet never get cold in them and I sit when gun hunting 45 minutes before light until 30 minutes after sunset.

I also use a hand warmer muff with Hothands. I bring in extra Hothands in the event my feet do start to get chilly and put them in the Rocky boot covers. When I do that my feet actually get too hot on the worst days I have ever sat.  

If my hands and feet are warm, I am warm.

Good luck
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 11:18:00 AM »
My experience has been that full foot chemical heated insoles work far better than toe warmers.
Inside a pair of Micky Mouse boots.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2017, 06:48:00 PM »
I think Tim Finley has some insight. . .  there is a huge difference between someone who has a few weeks of 0-20 degrees with partial cloud cover and surrounded by woods- COMPARED to places like North Dakota who can have a few months of 0-20 BELOW ZERO! (That is 40 degrees COLDER than the 20 in the south!) ON TOP OF THAT- 15-30 mph winds unobstructed coming across the prairie lands from the Artic are quite common. It can be pretty brutal.  

Add to all of that sitting still in a TREESTAND for hours vs. ground hunting or even slightly moving in other types of winter activity.

The guys from the Prairies of the Canadian North may have some insight!

Give me the thick wool socks + extra sized Iceman-type boots + boot blankets of some type + chem heaters = Hunt for hours.    :)
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2017, 08:08:00 PM »
For stationary hunting I've got two words for you . Boot Blankets! period.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2017, 09:31:00 PM »
Mickey Mouse boots for me! I have struggle with cold feet for years! I use Artic Boot blankets over non insulated boots with temps in the 20-30 degree range.
Once the temps drop below 20, it's Mickey Mouse boots for me!
With the addition of Two Tracks felted insoles, I can maintain warm feet with single digit temps.
Also wearing a pair of gaiters helps to keep my feet warm

chris <><

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2017, 08:29:00 AM »
I need your advice on sizing Mickey Mouse boots so I can buy the right size? I wear a 10 wide shoe so  can I buy a size 10 E,W MM boot and expect it to fit close to my size 10 wide shoe size?
Thanks!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 09:10:00 AM »
They run large.
I wear a size 12 6E shoe....12XXXXXXW..no joke..my feet look like flippers..lol
My Mickey's are stamped 11XW.
I wear one layer of the thickest smart wool socks available and I have a nice loose fit. not sloppy...just no restriction at all.

btw...with Mickey boots wear high socks...I wear over the calf.
if the rubber on the boot contacts the hair on your legs it tugs at the hair with each step and gets uncomfortable pretty quick.

Also mine are the black ones.
The white ones have even more insulation.
Not sure if the black and white are sized the same.

The only bad thing I've found with mickey boots are the valve.
I do all ground hunting and sit on the ground a lot.
Often have a leg tucked under etc.
With the valve jutting out and your leg tucked under the valve presses into the dirt which in turn presses into your ankle. You might be different, but it caused some discomfort for me.

I took an x-acto blade and carefully cut out the valve from the outside layer of rubber. Roughed up the rubber (think tire tube patch) and cleaned with acetone. Then filled the hole with good 100% silicone clear caulk and spread it out a bit. Really rub it in to get good adhesion. Leave em alone for a few days so it really sets up good and the odor subsides.

Takes all of 5-10 mins and has lasted for 7 years now.

Much more comfortable for me on long sits.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2017, 11:13:00 AM »
I typically wear 11-11.5 shoe/boots. My Mickey Mouse boots are 10R (I am guessing "R" means regular). They are a perfect fit, plenty of room in length/width even with the insoles. I do wear a lightweight sock as well.

chris <><

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2017, 10:02:00 PM »
I frost bit my feet pretty bad when young and have had to deal with feet that get cold fairly easily.  My go to boot in cold weather if I don't have to walk a lot are Cabela's Trans Alaska boot; designed for the Iditarod dog sled race.  This is the perfect boot for ice fishing.  I will freeze every other part of my body before my feet get cold!

These boots have a thick sole with good arch support, felt insole, and metallic coated wool felt liner like a pack boot.  You will not be sneaking through the woods unless you have fresh snow, but they are warm.  great for stand or blind hunting in cold weather.  I typically only use them for temperatures below 25 degrees Fahrenheit.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2017, 11:31:00 PM »
Just to sit in a blind or a stand I prefer a lightly insulated boot with a toasty warm boot blanket.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2017, 10:50:00 AM »
Smart wool expedition socks with a light pair of merinos underneath, make sure they are loose fitting to allow air trapping and circulation.

I have Sorel expedition pacs for sitting (-20 to -35). when it gets this cold I also use foot heating pads.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline TGjr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2017, 08:50:00 PM »
I've always had a pair of 800-1000 gram boots, like Danner Pronghorn's, that I can pair with different thicknesses of socks that would carry me through most of the Midwestern deer season. Then I would pack along some boot blankets to wear over them in late season hunts. That way my feet didn't overheat on the hike in but I could still keep my feet warm when in the stand. I think of it kind of like a layering system for your feet. Worked for me and I have cold feet, hands, head, neck, body, you name it! I hate the cold!! Lots of good advice here from everyone, you should be able to find something that will work for you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©