3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Samick Sage owners  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Patknight

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Samick Sage owners
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 09:49:00 PM »
Cap Kirk...Why would sage send out a string that are too long for there bows???? Seems like a bad business decision to me..Just makes no sense..

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 10:20:00 PM »
Pat, it's an economy priced bow and it appears that not a lot of attention is paid to the string--that particular one might have just been mistakenly packaged with the wrong length string.

FWIW, I've seen some very expensive bows with lousy strings.  I don't understand it, but it's not uncommon.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 10:44:00 PM »
I have a 40# Sage and I shoot off of a Bear weather rest. Chucked the string and made a 14 strand dacron string. I shoot Easton legacy 1918 aluminums with 145gr up front.I trimed mine to 29"and they shoot like darts for me with parabolic fletching.
Member NCBA

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 02:42:00 AM »
I used to have a sage, I got a FF string for it from RMSG, I never ended up using it used because it didnt end up fitting the nocks I had.  I'd be happy to send it to you if you could put it to use.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 10:17:00 AM »
I have used a Sage with the stock string as well and the string itself was fine but the serving they use is not durable at all (nylon).

I have used a BCY X string in the past and while it is slightly faster than a Dacron string it has a harsher feel on the fingers since it does not give at all.

With that being said I'd suggest a Flemish B55 string since the extra padding at the loops from the flemish will quite the limb slap down more than a served endless.

.500 spine arrows cut to either 30" or 29" will work great out of a 40# Sage with 100 grain to 145 grain points.

Beman's give the best value per dollar and are extremely durable.

Personally I like the brace height as low as possible. 8" to 7" in brace height gives me a very noticeable difference in arrow speed and how smooth the draw is (a lower brace height stacks less).

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 11:12:00 AM »
I bought the same bow 40# at 28" after my heart surgery. Replaced the string that came with it and I shoot Blackhawk carbonwoods 300's with it fletched with 51/2 inch shield cut feathers. With 125 grain zwickeys it shoots like a dart, no hand shock and no noise. Put puffballs on string and shoot off shelf with just a stick on pad on bottom and side. Killed 2 deer with it this year, both pass throughs.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 12:04:00 PM »
Thanks for the great offer Longtoke.  This is a great place to learn with incredibly generous people.  I would take you up on the offer but I have no way of knowing for sure if I will see the young man again. I'd hate to take the string then just have it sit too.  maybe someone else here has a Sage and has never tried an upgraded string?
Greg  >>>>>--------------->
A Traditional Archer and Vegetarian.

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 03:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Patknight:
Cap Kirk...Why would sage send out a string that are too long for there bows???? Seems like a bad business decision to me..Just makes no sense..
Good question, Pat. And one I have no answer for.
To show what I mean, here is a photo of the OEM string just out of the box pictured with 5" feathers. Note their placement on the shelf. It was so far off I replaced the string without even attempting a twist-up.

BTW, from the 3Rivers website:

"Manufacturer recommended brace height: 7½" - 8½"."
Aim small,miss small

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 03:24:00 PM »
Wow that's insane Captain. I've never had an issue with Samick sending me a string that was too long.

It must be a recent issue or happen at random. I do know the strings they sent me with my bow were way too thick and stretched like crazy.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2017, 03:39:00 PM »
On the ones I've shot and people I've spoken with here, there's a night and day difference in the way the bow feels and performs with a high performance string material vs. Dacron.  I can't tell a difference between one and the other on my fingers, but I do notice a lot less shock/vibration.  Could care less about a few fps.  I like the durability, consistency, and crisp feel of the shot.

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2017, 03:48:00 PM »
The only thing I can think of on the brace height problem is the string was an actual 62" string and NOT an AMO 62" (which measures about 58") string.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2017, 04:11:00 PM »
62" AMO string is supposed to measure 59" under a load.(emphasis on "supposed")

http://www.outlab.it/doc/amostd.pdf

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2017, 04:23:00 PM »
I use female velcro, 7 1/4 to 7 1/2 inch brace  nock height of 1/2 inch, I have a 50 lbs so diff specs on arrows etc.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 05:59:00 PM »
Chad is right - different bow with a good string on it. Believe the actual string length needed is closer to 58 1/2 to 3/4.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 06:15:00 PM »
Yep--58.5" has worked great for me.  On the Journey (64" version), I use a 60.5" string.

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2017, 06:29:00 PM »
The more I look at this thread and this bow the more I think I should get one to use to start making my own strings and to have a lightweight shoot for fun bow.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2017, 06:43:00 PM »
I bought my Journey just to test a then-new material (BCY-X).  With that string, I liked it so much I kept shooting it.  That was around 4 years ago.  Killed a deer, my biggest stingray to date (approx. 100#), lots more rays and fish, won a couple of long-distance novelty shoots with it...dandy bow, great for bow fishing.

If you need help with making strings, let me know.  I have a DVD and have great prices on material.

Chad

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2017, 07:02:00 PM »
I think I have your DVD from a few years ago.  I took a wrong turn and been gone for a few years.  I gave up on my GPS and got my bearings back so I am here again.  I just might have to contact you after I watch the DVD again this next weekend.

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2017, 03:07:00 PM »
On another note, the Sage really wakes up with a Fast Flight installed. Arrows were hitting several inches higher at 20 yards. For the MSRP of the Sage, it's really hard to beat as a first bow.
Aim small,miss small

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2017, 06:36:00 AM »
My buddy bought a 45 pound sage. It was his first bow and it shoots pretty well. With A 500 grain arrow @28 it chronoed 165 which is pretty good considering my bob lee, predator, 2 Great Plains bows shoot low 170s . He got his first recourse kill with it this season. A nice MI 6pt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©