3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: high wrist grip  (Read 798 times)

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
high wrist grip
« on: January 16, 2017, 01:17:00 PM »
im sort of confused on this grip, does the meat part of my hand/ thumb area not touch the bow at all? in order to get in the position my fingers are very low resting on the riser, any help would be great
aim small miss small

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: high wrist grip
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 03:44:00 PM »
A high wrist grip places the pressure towards the web of the hand.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 03:54:00 PM »
i would think that would hurt during the draw and holding? does anyone have videos to demonstrate this?
aim small miss small

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 04:42:00 PM »
I don't have a video but I shoot a high wrist better than other grips. Less contact with the hand. My K-Mag and predator both have high wrist grips and they're my most accurate bows.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 05:16:00 PM »
Why would it hurt?
shoot straight shoot often

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 05:32:00 PM »
Do a search on you tube for traditional archery bow grips, etc.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 07:57:00 PM »
dont you have to press your hand heal down? thats alot of force just between the webbing of your fingers
aim small miss small

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 08:20:00 PM »
I shoot with a high wrist grip, my bow hand is almost pointed straight out and all the pressure of the bow rides in the web between my thumb and fore finger with a little pressure down the life line on the palm of the hand. It doesn't hurt at all, where are you getting that from? Is your bow grip square or something?

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 08:27:00 PM »
I shoot very high wristed. There is no pain. I have been advised by a very high level coach that I should entertain the idea of changing to a lower wristed grip where I actually healed the bow more. I tried it, and did not like it at all! Worst thing was how bad my arm hurt from the string slap. Anyway, I decided I was too old of a dog to try to learn new tricks, and dedicated myself to learning to be consistent the way I am comfortable.

I shoot all my bows with this same style of grip, longbows, recurves, and selfbows.

Bisch

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 08:41:00 PM »
ok i thought the wrist had to be completly straight?
aim small miss small

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 09:01:00 PM »
Not all 'high wrist' grips are the same. Bowyers make them all sorts of ways. I had one such bow where there medium was higher then any other high grip I have had.

Link to proper pressure point on hand according to KSL, scroll down to #3 click on pick to enlarge.

http://www.kslinternationalarchery.com/Technique/KSLShotCycle/KSLShotCycle-USA.html
shoot straight shoot often

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 10:49:00 AM »
Hurt? no. Can it be uncomfortable? yes. Depends on your preferences though some people like a high wrist.

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 12:37:00 PM »
If one likes to shoot palm down with a straight wrist, the high is wrist is fine.  I do not like the way they handle and feel when not shooting, which is what I am doing 99.99% of the time when hunting.

Online bluemelonchitlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 06:31:00 PM »
A high wrist grip takes getting used to. My '67 1/2 Kodiak Hunter has a high grip and I find that this bow is number one.
Revelation 3:20

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 10:38:00 PM »
Roy has a pretty good picture and explanation of high wrist.  No reason for it to hurt.  However, when the draw weight gets heavier, it does place more stress in that small web between the thumb and forefinger.  A lower wrist grip handles heavier weights more comfortably.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 10:46:00 PM »
so where the newer bear bows such as super grizzly the way my hand natruall fits into the grip is a high wrist grip already? or do i have to keep the wrist straight and it dosent break upward at all?
aim small miss small

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 01:12:00 AM »
Extend your arm and point at an object with your fore finger without making a fist. That will be the position you will maintain with your wrest when shooting high wrest with the throat of the bow resting in the web of your hand. Keep your hand loose and open. Do not grip the bow.

I shoot a recurve this way no matter if the grip is high, medium, or low. I shoot longbows holding the bow differently.
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 06:50:00 AM »
so where the newer bear bows such as super grizzly the way my hand naturally fits into the grip is a high wrist grip already?
Yes pretty much so. Like the grip on my bear, it forces me into a high wrist grip.

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 12:37:00 PM »
I certainly would not call that a high wrest grip. It appears medium and maybe even slightly lower than normal medium. That however can and will be seen differently by others.
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 01:04:00 PM »
my super grizzly has a medium grip. I have 12 other Bear bows and the only ones with a high wrist grip are my K-mag and my super mag. I would like a super grizzly with a high wrist. never seen one before

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©