3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wheezer buck!  (Read 619 times)

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
wheezer buck!
« on: October 29, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
Saturday I was in S.C., with a Tahitian Frenchman in tow- we were stalk hunting to a stand I wanted him to sit in.

About 150 yards into the palmettos, I hear a hog squeal, and motioned him over to me, thinking we might get in and get him a shot at a hog.

As he reaches me, I see movement coming from my left to right- and its a doe...walking to my 12 o'clock. Then another- followed by a flash of antler- a buck!

They reached the other side of a big red oak about 20 yards in front of us, but were shielded from our sight by the trunk and some large palmettoes.

Then I saw them start to move off, and I grunted softly- then snort-wheezed with my mouth. No response, until I looked through my optics and saw the buck's tail, up and waving slowly back and forth, as he trailed the does.

I told my Tahitian friend to make a big downwind loop, perhaps he could intercept them, and I stayed put for a few moments, to keep from disturbing anyone.

I forgot, for the moment, the hog squeal.

Just then, I see deer legs moving, right to the big red oak again- it was the buck! He was coming back to see the rival that had challenged him.

We did the normal face off, while he checked me out. Then he turned his head back toward his girl friends. He was facing me full on, so no shot, and he really wasn't a big buck..but he was pretty and I was enjoying seeing him at 8 steps.

Suddenly, a flash of black from my left made my brain scream " HOG " and sure enough, a 200 lb boar was skipping in, right at the buck. The buck only needed a second to decide he didn't want any part of that, and off he bounded.

The hog hit the little open window in front of me and I drew and shot in one motion- the arrow went exactly where I was looking- only the hog, upon entering the open lane, put on the afterburners and shot through to the palmettoes on the other side- he was eight to ten feet gone when the shaft reached his location!

What a morning. That snort wheeze works- I've yet to have a negative reaction to it...sometimes they pay it no attention, but often they come back or to you.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wheezer buck!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 06:31:00 PM »
Sounds like a blast!!!!!
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
Sounds like you almost had a colision resulting in sausage. Spicy sausage will make me wheeze sometime too...  :goldtooth:  

Sounds like big fun! CK

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
Ray sounds like Barry's call is workin' good!  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
It's true what they say, you don't have to kill something to have an exciting hunt.

Mark
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »
I bought a snort/wheeze call a few days ago.The next day I seen a big 7 pt. following a doe about a hundred yds. away. I called to him with it and he left his girlfriend and came right on in. He was`nt a shooter but it was good to see it work,now to try out the growl.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »
Cool Ray!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 06:39:00 AM »
Awesome story.  But what about your Tahatian friend?  Did he score on one of the does or a hog?
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 09:00:00 AM »
No..but he is still there hunting through Thursday, and he's hit it just right...40's in the morning and 70's in the evening..and acorns everywhere.

I'll report when I hear how he did.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 09:50:00 AM »
just got a call....Michel took a 6 point buck yesterday....ran 100 yards and done, in sight.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
Good deal.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »
There were four guys in camp total...I told them about the 'snort wheeze' call...I heard it back in 1990 or so for the first time..didn't know that was what it was called of course...just heard it...and have used it every time I have seen a buck that is not COMING RIGHT TO ME.

It works in almost every instance..never had a negative reaction..its sort of like even though they know the buck might be bigger...they've gotta come check it out...they can't stand it..so in they come!

This past June at bear camp in Quebec Uncle Barry was telling everyone there that they should try it...that it works..well, I detected a little skepticism from my audience...but just heard that Michel(Frenchman) saw the buck but he was too far away and not coming in, so he tried it and it was like he was on a string...

"I CAWWLLL to HEEEM, and he CUM right to ze treeee- and I SHOOOT HEEM! Fantastique!"

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
Snort wheeze definately works.  Had them come in on a string a few times.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »
Anyone have a site where I can hear what it should sound like?
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »
Ray, I didn't know you spoke French....  :saywhat:
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
certainment,monsieur!

I hope zat all eeez well wid u, my fren.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »
That sounds like Cajun to me.

Offline Hunter John

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 01:22:00 AM »
I too would love to hear a snort wheeze.
I am a man
and I can change
if I have to
I guess.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 07:05:00 AM »
pppfffffffft   pppfffffft  
TTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (the last part...the TTTHHHHH is with your tongue tip stuck out between your teeth)

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 07:25:00 AM »
Well executed Ray! Couldn't have done it better.  :goldtooth:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©