3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pack system for western hunting?  (Read 2802 times)

Offline Ky longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Pack system for western hunting?
« on: January 18, 2017, 02:17:00 PM »
I've been planning on taking a trip out west to hunt elk within the next few years and am currently looking at a pack system to use. Ideally it will be a 5-7 day hunt. I've narrowed it down to a Kifaru Mountain warrior with hunting frame or an Exo mountain gear 3500 or 5500. Price is a factor as I am new to this style of hunting but want the most reliable and durable pack I can afford. I am open to any suggestions you guys may have, Thanks!

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pack system for western hunting?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 02:22:00 PM »
I bought the Exo 5500 last year. Between workouts and hunts I have probably about 70 miles with it on in rough terrain. Heaviest I have had it was 75#. I am happy with mine

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 02:34:00 PM »
Come see me in Georgetown, I think I can help.

I would suggest you don't need the latest and greatest.  A marine corp. ILBE or older Kifaru could suit you well.

Offline Ky longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 02:58:00 PM »
Biathlonman, That would be awesome. I go to school at UK so I am close by. Would you be free this Sunday afternoon?

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 03:56:00 PM »
This was my first year elk / mountain hunting since moving from the flatlands of  NYS to Idaho.
 I bought an erblestock just one pack.
 Really like it, fully adjustable, probably more room than I need. Hardly knew I was wearing it most days.
 A little $$ as far as packs go but probably the last one I'll ever need.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Online 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 04:01:00 PM »
Check out Oregon Pack Works.

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 08:34:00 PM »
Expensive but X2 on Oregon Pack Works

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 09:27:00 PM »
I strongly suggest you break down your pack usage: How much time will be spent in day pack mode, versus a bivy mode or full pack in/packing meat out mode. Most packs are compromise solutions to different problems of overall weight, pack space, silence and durability/comfort with different weights.
The following are based on my use of the mentioned packs:

Not trying to pick a fight here, but if kevsuperg used his Eberlestock JustOne to pack out 100lbs of meat (rather just as a day or bivy pack)and found it comfortable, he is a better man than me. Great day pack/3-4 night spike camp pack. Sucks under load due to a horrible belt and lack of load lifters. Heavy empty weight for what it can carry. If you have a short torso, you may be able to make it work, but couldn't, and i learned that packing a moose out years ago.

The OPW is a great daypack, and you can easily get a 60# load of meat out in relative comfort. Quiet, durable and a well thought out design.
Put more weight in it, and the light stays without a cross tie at the top will show you how much a pack can barrel under load. You can fab up heavier aluminum stays, and rig a cross piece, but all you have done is made a heavier modified Kifaru Bikini style frame.

A new Kifaru pack is great, if you can justify the cost to yourself. The Mountain Warrior is a great bag (but pretty big for daypack use), but the 500D is noisy, and unless you are packing a lot of weight on a regular basis is a bit of overkill.

A used second generation Kifaru Duplex can be had cheaper (as can a Gen 1), and you aren't sacrificing much (bare pack weight). Used Stone Glacier Krux Frames are a great deal (if you don't have a flat back profile).

A Marine Ilbe (if the torso fit is right) or an Arc'Teryx Bora with a Kifaru Duplex belt on it (that is the right size) will handle all of the weight you can throw at it. Heavier than an SG or Kifaru, and not as glamorous.

If you are on a budget, spend more money on boots and less on a pack for your first kick at mountain hunting. And remember, like boots pack FIT is everything.

Take five days and try a backpack style hunt/trip where you are and see if it fits for you before making the big cash committment. It looks great from a distance to a lot of guys, but it really isn't for everyone, and i have seen a lot of gear sold really cheap by folks who learned the hard way that it wasn't for them AFTER they dropped the money.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline RedRidge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 09:28:00 PM »
I have a Kifaru T2 that I really enjoy. I have loaded a full mule deer buck in it and it felt great.
-Connor-
62" Fox High Sierra 48@28
Tanasi Longbow 47@28

Offline DXH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 10:08:00 PM »
I have a kifaru timberline .. I really like it
Ben Pearson Cougar 40#
PSE Black Hawk T/D 55#
Bamboo backed Osage Self bow 57#
Ivory Hunter 60#

Offline bowhunter97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 10:17:00 PM »
I've been using the same kifaru long hunter for the past 10 years. When I ge to my hunting area I day hunt in the frame with lid and load shelf.  Love it.
phil:4.13

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 10:22:00 PM »
I used the Dwight Schuh pack for extended backcountry elk hunts. It is modular and holds a lot of stuff. Went on two, two week backcountry hunts with it and it worked well for me. The top pack comes off to be used as a day pack and the bottom pack can be used as a fanny pack. There is one on the classifieds for under $100. I almost bought it as a spare.

Good luck
Gil

TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Titan_Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 10:24:00 PM »
Keep in mind, you can utilize these packs for alot of uses. I have the EXO 3500, and to be honest, I think it is plenty big for a week long hunt (if you have decent backpacking gear).  The way the EXO bag can seperate from the frame, means I can carry treestands when I am whitetail hunting out east, I've even managed to get my double-bull back there and use the pack to carry that.  I honestly dont think there is much difference in most of the top tier packs, BUT one that fits one guy might not fit the next.  I love Kifaru and they are just down the road from me, but the EXO just fit my body type better, and it was lighter to boot. I think Kifaru, EXO, Stone Mountain Gear, Mystery Ranch, all would serve you well for years of hard use.  If you know that backpack hunting is what you do, and you do alot of it, then I would definitely splurge on a top tier pack.  If you have little experience backpack hunting, and have never been out west, I would go to your local REI or similar outdoor store and get a decent mid-level backpacking pack. It will serve you well for a few hunts, and it wont break the bank. I have packed out a slew of deer and a cow elk in an REI brand 6500 ci pack. I paid $90 on the clearance rack 10 years ago when I moved to Colorado.  I replaced it last season with an EXO 3500 and accessories that were north of 500 I believe

Offline Ky longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 10:36:00 PM »
I appreciate all the feed back guys! I do have a cheaper meat packing frame from Sportsman's Warehouse that i have used for backpacking trips in to fish, camp, hauling stands, etc. with a few buddies. But have never been able to truly backpack hunt like I have wanted. I hope to move out west after college and do some things Ive dreamed of doing cause as my dad always told me: "Your knees aren't getting any younger." haha I have hunted a few WMA's here in Kentucky using this put together system I have and it has done well for me thus far. Just looking to make a good investment now so that I can have a go to Pack for years to come. I already have a pretty good small day pack but mainly was after a solid pack for going into a large area and for hauling out meat. I am also going to look into those REI packs too. Keep the ideas coming, I love hearing from you guys out west or guys that have frequently backpacked in to hunt.

Offline Ky longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 10:38:00 PM »
Gil, I love the Pictures! I have a safari tuff quiver as well that i was going to strap to the pack and I like your set up!

Offline Ky longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 10:43:00 PM »
Daz, Thank you for all the tips. I am also looking into purchasing boots for backpacking. I actually am planning with a buddy on doing a camping/ hunting trip into the Daniel Boone national forest if regulations allow me to do so. It would be for whitetails this coming fall. I don't know how successful I'll be but I think it will help me get a feel for backpack hunting like you said.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 10:50:00 PM »
If you look close you will see a camo fleece bag. It is holding my two piece longbow. That quiver is very handy back packing or dragging a deer if you have a takedown.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 12:07:00 AM »
Sent you a PM, I'm sold on Kifaru for their packs! Rest of their gear is bombproof too though!
Good Luck!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 12:08:00 PM »
Personally, I'd rather pack 50 lb twice than 100 lb once.  I don't know how some of you guys do it.

As many have said, pack fit is just as important as boot fit.  And until you've hiked 10 miles with a load, you haven't yet learned if the pack fits.  For that reason alone, it's worth shopping at a store like REI where you can test the gear out a couple times and exchange it for something different if it doesn't work.  A couple years ago, I got an ultralight flash-series pack from them.  I took it on an overnight trip but ended up not liking it by around mile 2.  It was right about then that a nice little 1x2 showed himself to me & I took the shot.  I spent the rest of the night quartering & packing out the deer by headlamp back to the car -- never even made it to setup camp.  I managed to only get a couple small blood stains on the pack.  When I took the pack back to REI, they took it back without any questions.  That, to me, is well worth giving them my business for my serious gear.

It may or may not be very difficult for you to plan a few trips ahead of time.  But even if you just do some longer day hikes or quick weekenders with some weight, you'll know if it's a good pack for you or not before the big trip arrives.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline hedgetree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 08:00:00 PM »
I've been using a EXO 3500 the past two Elk hunts out west and couldn't be happier. Packed in for 6 days off hunting and had plenty of room. We set up spike camp and the packed doubled as my day pack. Was very pleased.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©