3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pack system for western hunting?  (Read 2801 times)

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pack system for western hunting?
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 08:28:00 PM »
I've done a couple trips using a 3500ci ext frame Dwight Schuh Hunt Pack, I much prefer my internal frame Badlands 2800  pack for daypack and/or 4 days, 3 nite hunts. I could jam food for 6 days, 5 nite hunts but prefer the shorter trips. Also I can carry my camp and meat out together.

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 02:03:00 AM »
Gil!  Some big ugly guy photobombed your pictures! Wow, what a shame!  :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  

I've got about 15 fine packs hanging in the rafters in my shop.  All are damned good! I've used a Schuh pack and they're not bad at all. But I found not long after moving west that I agree with Yosemite Sam.  Even when younger and stronger than I am now, I didn't find it very workable to hunt with a big pack on. And I never cared for large fanny packs.  I know-getting deep is the secret to avoiding other hunters and hunter-wise game. But, I have found smaller pack systems are way better for me to use when hunting. Been through a number of truly fine ones, and no real argument against any of them.   But, when I found the Eberlestock X2 I became a convert.  It's a big daypack, weighs half what some other excellent daypack "systems" weigh, can carry an elk quarter if necessary and tough as nails.(and I know a lot of others could make those claims as well, several are on my wall now.) The X2 simply suspends so well that it "carries" less than it actually weighs.  To describe the size, I'd say it's big enough to carry provisions for a night or two out----if need be!  But, those would be pretty tough conditions, and your pad/bag would be tied on the outside.  and, a lot of trips to bring an elk out.  More like: one load with a quarter and as much of your stuff as you can carry.  Then, back in with a freighter frame!  

I know: this may have avoided the OP question. But, I'm not the only one who has learned that carrying a big pack for miles at 7-11000 feet will reveal some things about yourself!!  Just be ready with a back up plan!
Tom

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2017, 07:05:00 AM »
I would give a serious look at the Mystery Ranch Marshall or Metcalf. One of these would be my choice.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2017, 09:13:00 AM »
Ha!!
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2017, 09:16:00 AM »
Had bad experience dealing with EXO Mountain Gear company. Can't recommend it.

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2017, 11:39:00 PM »
Myself and MANY others have had nothing but excellent dealings with EXO and I would highly recomend them!

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2017, 11:52:00 PM »
I've had an Exo for 2 years now and I'm happy with it as well
Tim

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2017, 02:33:00 PM »
I run a kifaru DT1 with a guide lid and hunting frame.   Im pretty much sold on Kifaru and their products.  I also run a sawtooth and smith cylinder stove.  

Top quality gear that wont fail you.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2017, 11:40:00 PM »
Love my Stone Glacier Sky 5100 pack. I recently purchased the Aproach bag that I can attach to the frame itself for shorter hunts, or piggy back off the bigger Sky 5100 bag whenever I get to take my dream 3 week Alaska moose hunt!

Inexpensive it was not, but it's an excellent quality pack that I will not be getting rid of any time soon, should last me at least 15 years.
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2017, 09:55:00 AM »
Stone Glacier is a great pack. I went with the Solo which offers many options for use from daypack to weeklong Goat hunts. Great company with service and support after the sale. Spendy but will outlast me.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2017, 12:34:00 AM »
Out of the last five packs that I had (Badlands, Tenzing, Blacks Creek, Stone Glacier), the Kifaru has been my favorite. Definitely durable and for me it's very comfortable. So far I have no complaints and the customer service has been spot on.  But as you know, packs are like hunting boots, sometimes it's tough to find the "right" one. By the time I figure out whether or not I like the pack, it's too late for any type of return. LOL!

All day climbing and hiking with no issues.

Getting ready to pack out deboned meat

Offline Ky longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2017, 03:36:00 AM »
Ryan, What kifaru pack is that and what accessories did you get with it?

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2017, 09:39:00 PM »
Not meant to confuse or muddy the waters but Seek Outside Revolution or the Evolution frame with your bag of choice, works well for me.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2017, 10:46:00 PM »
I believe it all depends on the type of hunting/hiking you will be doing.  Hiking in with a base camp on your back setting up once and then hunting from there daily is one way.     This is how I've been doing it the past few trips out west.  In this scenario I bring in both a large frame pack that is covertable to a meat hauler, and a moderate size day pack. The day pack is pre-packed with everything needed plus other items for space and put in the large pack and hauled in together. Hauling in a heavier load with base camp one time is doable.  Carrying your camp around all day the whole trip while you hunt is a different game all together. In this case, quality and fit of your pack is crucial.
I have been using the packs made by Alps Outdoorz.  They are affordable for my budget, are comfortable,and get the job done.  They don't have the street cred of all the other packs mentioned, but my thinking is- I'm only using the pack for 1-2 weeks each year, I hike in under load set up camp and hike back out at the end of the trip.  I could probably do this for the next 20 years and not wear the pack out. And I could buy 3 or 4 of them for the price of the high dollar rigs. Check them out.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Ky longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2017, 12:39:00 AM »
I am leaning towards a kifaru pack and also getting the guide lid with it. It functions also as a removable day pack which I really liked. Has anyone used a kifaru with a guide lid?

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2017, 11:27:00 AM »
I'm running a Kifaru tactical frame with an argali pack, hard to go with anything else when kifarus system can be so modular with different bags.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2017, 12:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ky longbow:
Ryan, What kifaru pack is that and what accessories did you get with it?
It's a Kifaru hunting frame and I use an apollo bag with guide lid for my day hunts. I also have a bunch of pockets and a grab it for when I hunt in areas that deboning isn't allowed and I have to pack out the animal whole.

Offline -Zor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2017, 11:34:00 PM »
New guy here. I hunt with a Kifaru duplex timberline 2 and a longhunter lid (predecessor to the guide lid). I carry the lid as a waste pack for day hunting out of a spike camp and just use the frame pack to pack in and pack out. I filled my bull tag in Az this year 3+ miles in. To pack out I split my camp/gear into two loads and stuffed a 70lb bag of meat between the bag and frame for each load. My buddy (built like a pack mule) came to help and just hauled meat on a frame pack, two meat bags the first trip and one on the second. The Kifaru frame is comfortable at 100lb and is a well built modular system. Made in the USA makes it worth the extra dollars to me.

I just bought my first trad bow, so that hunt was with a wheel bow. If I can figure out how to, and won't get chastised for posting a compound picture I can show you what it looks like loaded.

Offline Ky longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2017, 02:39:00 AM »
Go for it man and welcome to the Gang! I personally will always support an American owned and operated company. Plus I can never get enough of seeing some great back country hunts! What bow did you get for your first trad bow?

Offline -Zor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2017, 08:54:00 AM »
....and thanks for the welcome. I picked up a 70's Black Bear, 45lb@28 as a trial to see how I like a recurve. Planning on learning to shoot 3 under and am a bit timid on starting without any instruction on form. I feel like I shoot the wheel bow well, but want to be sure I have a smooth transtion to a stick bow without developing bad habits out of the gate.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©